cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

buyer received package damaged and refunded??? refund from USPS???

so today i got a message saying a item that i shipped got destroyed in shipping. it was a power supply. what i was told the fins broke off and the gauges on the front are broken. i guy messaged me and told me that. i take honor in all my sale big or small so i instantly refunded. i found that is the best thing to do is take the loss and not argue.  i used news paper to pack it, it was super tight and i encased it with tape incase it got wet. so i guess that's the only reason why its still in the box.  what does the community think did i jump the gun and refund to fast. he has not sent me any pics yet. i was going to make a claim at usps. maybe i was premature and refunded to soon maybe needed those pics.  the shipping was like 50 dollars and the item was 40. just under 100 total.  also wanted to ask about people's experience with getting a refund from USPS for insurance on damaged items. what to do and what not to do in that situation. i have never had to make a claim. if it was less than 40 bucks id not bother. it was priority mail. thanks any suggestions or help be much appreciated. 

Tim

Message 1 of 12
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Contact your buyer and ask them to hold onto the item and all packaging because USPS will need to inspect it for the insurance claim. Let them know that they'll usually be contacted by USPS within 2 weeks, but it can take up to 6 weeks.

Even if the buyer cooperates, you're not guaranteed a payout on the insurance. USPS will likely claim that newspaper is not sufficient packing material and use that as a reason to deny the claim.

Good luck!

View Best Answer in original post

Message 5 of 12
latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

@incrediblefinds199 

1st of all and as you already found out, when shipping, products have to be packed to eliminate any chance of damage. When you mentioned, encasing with tape, that tells me you have quite the learning curve ahead with shipping. 

In order to submit a claim with USPS, your buyer would have to take the product and packaging to USPS for inspection.  That usually does not happen. Someone correct me if I am wrong on that.

A buyer has no obligation whatsoever to submit any photos.

I normally make the buyer return the item at my cost before issuing any type of refund. End of story there. That sometimes eliminates false claims by the buyer and some buyers are too busy to hassle with following through with a return and the eBay return case dies there.

If you are paying USPS $50 to ship anything other than USPS Express, you are using the wrong shipping carrier. Check out UPS Ground for heavier, bulky shipments. 

Message 2 of 12
latest reply

Newspaper is not adequate for secure packing.  Bubble wrap is better and careful taping is always (always) preferable to taping it over and over and over.

Good Moms let you lick the Beaters.

Great Moms turn them off first.
Message 3 of 12
latest reply

seems like your not responding to the post just nit picking. the 2nd line might have been the only helpful thing. but obvious as all hell. 

look at my feedback i have very happy people as far as packing and everything else no learning curve there.  i have 2 accounts and 1000s of sales. i incase it with tape as a added to protect against anything leaking on it from another package.  or if it gets rained on, as its electronics. you probably won't understand as you are nit picking nothing. it was well packed and tight just received many pics looks like the hulk took out his anger on it.  also i ship a lot of tools and all the tools guys will tell you run tape around the sides as if it does get tossed hard it will most likely not break thu and fall out.  the tool or whatever will still be in there. i've been doing this for 20 plus years. 

big heavy electronics are not cheap to ship at all thru any carrier. something that's 40 plus pounds and i offer always usps and ups ground. its up to the buyer to make that choice. it does not make sense financially to have him send it back at my expense when shipping is more than the item cost. its broken and useless. also it cost 50 to ship and 40 to buy so no point there, just costing more money.

Message 4 of 12
latest reply

Contact your buyer and ask them to hold onto the item and all packaging because USPS will need to inspect it for the insurance claim. Let them know that they'll usually be contacted by USPS within 2 weeks, but it can take up to 6 weeks.

Even if the buyer cooperates, you're not guaranteed a payout on the insurance. USPS will likely claim that newspaper is not sufficient packing material and use that as a reason to deny the claim.

Good luck!

Message 5 of 12
latest reply

You should have asked for photos first.

That said, ask the buyer now, the worst they can do is ignore you. If you do get photos, you can file the insurance claim online, but ask the buyer to hold on it it incase the postal inspector wants it.

Now as for how you shipped it, the reason people say newspaper isn't good is because it as a low crush tolerance, especially with heavier stuff. It's great to fill the empty space after you use a layer of bubble wrap.

As for the layer of tape, as a buyer I'd rather see the item in a ziploc bag, since I can never find my darned box cutter.

Message 6 of 12
latest reply

Sounds like you already had it all figured out.

Message 7 of 12
latest reply

When it comes to filing an insurance claim with USPS either the buyer or the seller can open the claim. However, it is much easier for the buyer to do so since USPS may want to actually see the package, how it was packed and the extent of the damage. Claims tend to get settled much quicker and easier that way. If the seller opens the claim I have found that often pictures are inadequate for USPS and they will close the claim. Of the two items I have had damaged in shipping the refused payment on one based on the pictures and the fact that the lady had tossed out the original packing. The other one USPS compensated me for based on pictures. Probably because the pictures included the original packing and the USPS box that had the tire tred marks on it where a USPS truck or forklift had ran over the package somewhere in shipping. In addition to the tire marks the regional box A was smashed flat. 

Having the buyer return the package in the original shipping box and as originally packed will void your ability to file a claim against the original shipping but you should be able to file a claim against the return shipping. It your shipping information is correct it would be cost prohibitive to go this route since the return shipping would exceed the value of the item. Even if USPS honors the insurance claim they will only refund the value of the item and not the shipping cost. 

Message 8 of 12
latest reply

im not taping over and over whats with the plebs and the tape. you know how many times ive had customers tell me tape saved them from it getting wet.  who said newspaper?

Message 9 of 12
latest reply

thanks good info, the buyer sent me a ton of pics and he's honest i've dealt with him in the past. i noticed in the pics there was no shipping label. i asked for a pic with the label he said he tossed it in the recycle bin and its on the side of the road. he's a older guy.  and his wife is messaging me for him.  i guess im  out the money and what i paid for it originally. 

Message 10 of 12
latest reply

The USPS will always DENY a refund the initial time even if you use their boxes and supplies and they agree the box was damaged by their employees, they will say they need more information. You can appeal their result and should. They will deny your appeal. The next step is small claims court (30.00 to file) then you will get the refund. Sorry sellers you are on your own Ebay is only worried about the seller in these cases. but alot of sellers are cooperative and really wanted the item

Message 11 of 12
latest reply

Hi everyone,

Due to the age of this thread, it has been closed to further replies. Please feel free to start a new thread HERE if you wish to continue to discuss this topic.

Thank you for understanding.

Message 12 of 12
latest reply