cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

With the New USPS Rate Changes, What's the Best Way to Ship Posters?

I've just purchased several cardboard mounted posters, which I'll ship flat and not rolled. Most measure about 24x36. They would only have about .5" thickness with packaging. Looking for suggestions on the least expensive shipping method for these?  I'm afraid the new USPS rate changes will eat up all my profit on these!  In case you haven't seen it yet, here's what's being implemented on April 3...

Non-standard fees

Additional fees will apply when package dimensions exceed USPS sortation specifications and require manual sorting. These fees will apply to Retail Ground, Priority Mail, Priority Mail Express, Parcel Select Ground, and First Class Package Service.

• Packages that exceed 22 inches but are not greater than 30 inches in length: Add $4.00 per package
  • Packages that exceed 30 inches in length: Add $15.00 per package
  • Packages that exceed 2 cubic feet (3,456 cubic inches): Add $15.00 per package

A maximum of two non-standard fees may be assessed for a package.

Any advice appreciated!

Message 1 of 21
latest reply
20 REPLIES 20

I would ship UPS Ground.

Message 2 of 21
latest reply

Thank you

Message 3 of 21
latest reply

You might be changing your mind about shipping them mounted.

Coast to coast is  $82 retail ground and $100 Priority for a 1 lb  package that size. 

Message 4 of 21
latest reply

Sorry, I input 5 inches.  MIN  is 3 inches for ground. That makes the cost $69.45 retail PM and $57.45 retail ground coast to coast. 

Message 5 of 21
latest reply

The shipping will be murder.  Are you sure you can't roll them?

Message 6 of 21
latest reply

• Packages that exceed 22 inches but are not greater than 30 inches in length: Add $4.00 per package

Aren't most free priority mail boxes greater than 22 inches?  Would it be cheaper to send something using a medium flat rate box by priority mail?

Message 7 of 21
latest reply

Check fedex too. I had a package today that USPS wanted $95 and I could ship for $30 FedEx ground. USPS is quickly pricing themselves out of the package delivery service at least for people who ship many things. And the the $95 was the eBay rate 😞

Here's the real rub... I send packages of the same size adn weight regularly to Japan and you know what I pay: $75 so cheaper to Japan than California.

I live on the east coast and unless a package is small, I suspect all coast-to-coast shipments will be UPS or FedEx.

Message 8 of 21
latest reply

Wow, if I read this right they want to add $19 to the cost of your shipment.   These will need to be darned good posters. 

I feel bad for the clerks at the post office- they have to deal with irate people who aren't expecting this rate shock.

Message 9 of 21
latest reply

@mozartbach1971 wrote:

Aren't most free priority mail boxes greater than 22 inches? ...

There are only 3 of the free Priority Mail packages that are over 22 inches: The "game board" large flat rate box, and the two triangular tubes.  USPS has confirmed that the Large flat rate box will not incur the new surcharge. But the "tubes" will.

Message 10 of 21
latest reply

There are only 3 of the free Priority Mail packages that are over 22 inches: The "game board" large flat rate box, and the two triangular tubes.  USPS has confirmed that the Large flat rate box will not incur the new surcharge. But the "tubes" will.

Yes, but I use the non flat rate priority mail boxes to ship items and I think all of those free ones are over 22 inches. Is this not true?

Message 11 of 21
latest reply

My understanding is that the non-standard fees will not apply to USPS-provided Priority Mail boxes. If you're willing to ship them rolled instead of mounted, you should be able to use the USPS Priority Mail poster "tubes" and not get hit with the extra $15-19 fee. Otherwise, anything 36x24 is probably going to be super expensive to ship with any carrier, no matter what the thickness and weight.

Message 12 of 21
latest reply

Yep, and the game board box was just discontinued (even though anybody with stock leftover can still use them with large flat rate pricing).

Most USPS boxes are well under 22". Last year USPS chopped down the size on several boxes and capped off several boxes and envelopes at 15" (link).

Message 13 of 21
latest reply

USPS has confirmed that the tubes WILL be subject to the surcharge: $4 for the shorter one (26") and $15 for the longer.

Message 14 of 21
latest reply

@mozartbach1971 wrote:

Yes, but I use the non flat rate priority mail boxes to ship items and I think all of those free ones are over 22 inches. Is this not true?

None of those boxes has a length over 22 inches. Are you thinking of girth??

Message 15 of 21
latest reply