cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When listing what do you click, etc, to ask International bidders to contact me for shipping costs?

This always drives me crazy when listing a new auction (I live and ship from the US):

¶ Easy: I always put down the exact shipping cost and carrier for US bidders. I almost always put down an exact amount.

¶ Easy:  for light-weight items I do the same thing for international bidders.

¶ but for heavy items I'd like to have the international bidders contact me for the costs.  How do I do that?  What to click on the listing form?

thanks,

Robert

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Re: When listing what do you click, etc, to ask International bidders to contact me for shipping cos

Success! Thanks kensgiftshop and others replying to me in this thread.  I've spent a lot of time today revising my shipping options many times.  And I think I solved my problems.  I've learned:

¶ that it's good to have an exclusion list of countries I won't want to ship to.  eBay saves this exclusion list, so it is easy to put into each new listing.  Just an easy click.

¶ that if you are lazy and/or unsure of how to send the parcel (type of shipping, insurance, unsure of certain countries) and don't want to devote time on it now because it is unlikely to get foreign sales in general, do what I mention in the next "paragraph" below.

¶ when you make your listing, you can simply select, in the international shipping section, "flat -- same cost to all buyers..."  That is all.  You don't have to select any countries.  You don't have to put down package weight and dimensions. Actually, you don't have to select anything else. (Good idea though to click/include your "exclusion list.")  You can just click "submit" or "update listing" at the bottom of the page, AND IT WILL GO THROUGH. ... .... Then when some foreigner goes to the shipping section, if it is not excluded, he will see: "this item will ship to Australia, for example, but the seller has not specified shipping options. Contact the seller and request a shipping method to your location".

Robert

View Best Answer in original post

Message 6 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

Re: When listing what do you click, etc, to ask International bidders to contact me for shipping cos

You aren't allowed to do that.

Message 2 of 6
latest reply

I'm sure you used to be able to -- have a potential foreign buyer eBay message the seller with question about shipping costs..  I've seen it.   Seems innocent and useful.  ... ......Why go through the trouble of detailing package, costs, etc, for an item that is unlikely to be sold abroad?.... ..... Not now, though?

Robert

Message 3 of 6
latest reply

Just set up int'l for calculated shipping. It only takes a second, and then they won't need to contact you at all.  Or make those listings US only since you think they most likely won't sell overseas.

The easier you are to offend the easier you are to control.

We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did. - Thomas Sowell
Message 4 of 6
latest reply

@poker-chips-on-line wrote:
¶ but for heavy items I'd like to have the international bidders contact me for the costs. 

There's no reason to have a buyer contact you, just use calculated shipping.

Enter the size and weight of the package and the buyer can see what it's going to cost to have it shipped to them.

Have a great day
Message 5 of 6
latest reply

Success! Thanks kensgiftshop and others replying to me in this thread.  I've spent a lot of time today revising my shipping options many times.  And I think I solved my problems.  I've learned:

¶ that it's good to have an exclusion list of countries I won't want to ship to.  eBay saves this exclusion list, so it is easy to put into each new listing.  Just an easy click.

¶ that if you are lazy and/or unsure of how to send the parcel (type of shipping, insurance, unsure of certain countries) and don't want to devote time on it now because it is unlikely to get foreign sales in general, do what I mention in the next "paragraph" below.

¶ when you make your listing, you can simply select, in the international shipping section, "flat -- same cost to all buyers..."  That is all.  You don't have to select any countries.  You don't have to put down package weight and dimensions. Actually, you don't have to select anything else. (Good idea though to click/include your "exclusion list.")  You can just click "submit" or "update listing" at the bottom of the page, AND IT WILL GO THROUGH. ... .... Then when some foreigner goes to the shipping section, if it is not excluded, he will see: "this item will ship to Australia, for example, but the seller has not specified shipping options. Contact the seller and request a shipping method to your location".

Robert

Message 6 of 6
latest reply