cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What to do - buyer's address is a hotel, won't pick up or reply to messages

I sent something to a buyer (with signature confirmation) more than two weeks ago whose ebay/PP address turned out to be a hotel - USPS attempted to deliver several times and also had it available for pickup. I messaged the buyer and they never replied. I also contacted USPS and they said the hotel didn't have any staff on site to sign when they tried to deliver it, so then I called the hotel and the staff who I reached said the mailman is probably being lazy and for some reason is not going into their office to get the signature. I also don't know if the buyer works at the hotel or is just staying there for a short time.

This all seems a bit risky to me - anyone know what would be the best thing to do in this situation?

1) Don't do anything and hope the buyer eventually picks it up or the package gets returned on its own

2) Do a USPS package intercept and request to have it sent back to me now

3) Try to call the buyer

Since the person I talked to on the phone knows there's a package floating around, would they be able to pick it up and steal it themselves? Or that's not a big deal since USPS gets signatures from building concierges all the time? Just a bit worried about that.

Thank you

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

@lex-talon wrote:

Don't try to call the buyer, eBay won't like that. In the meantime, keep trying to contact the buyer thru eBay messaging. 

eBay wouldn't care if the seller called the buyer about a delivery problem- they provide buyer phone numbers to sellers after payment is complete.

@leel246- At this point do nothing. You already made several attempts to reach the buyer so leave it at that. If the package gets returned to you then you can refund minus your original shipping and fees. If the buyer contacts you after the package is returned then you  can invoice them to pay for re-shipping- or if you already refunded you can let them know the item has been relisted and is available to purchase again.

View Best Answer in original post

Message 6 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

I don't understand why the Mail Man left the package without the proper signature.  It should not have been left and just returned to you.  Was the mailing address a Hotel Name and address?   and did it say "In Care Of"?  I think your argument is with the Post Office for not delivering the item correctly.  Especially if no one signed.

Message 2 of 7
latest reply

1) Don't do anything and hope the buyer eventually picks it up or the package gets returned on its own.

Don't try to call the buyer, eBay won't like that. In the meantime, keep trying to contact the buyer thru eBay messaging. 

Message 3 of 7
latest reply

The Post office didn't return it to me yet, but they said every time they tried to deliver there was no one there to sign (though when I called the hotel the phone was answered promptly and they said the lobby is open. The mailbox is outside or something and they figured the mailman is just too lazy to walk the short distance inside to find someone to sign?) - so it does sound like the post office is not doing it's job trying to deliver it.

The tracking also said "delivery attempt" for a couple days. Then it said "avaialble for pickup" for a few days. Then it said "delivery attempt" again. Not sure if the buyer asked for redelivery, but they haven't replied to any of my messages.

And yes, the address is the hotel address and it does also say "in care of X". 

Message 4 of 7
latest reply

@leel246 wrote:

The tracking also said "delivery attempt" for a couple days. Then it said "available for pickup" for a few days. Then it said "delivery attempt" again. Not sure if the buyer asked for redelivery, but they haven't replied to any of my messages. 

Well, at least they're not dumping it someplace without the required signature. Yes, it is slightly ridiculous that the carrier can't find someone to sign for it at a hotel, but considering how many attempts have (supposedly) been made, if the buyer doesn't get off his butt to collect it, it will be returned to you eventually. Sooner rather than later, it sounds like...

Message 5 of 7
latest reply

@lex-talon wrote:

eBay wouldn't care if the seller called the buyer about a delivery problem- they provide buyer phone numbers to sellers after payment is complete.

@leel246- At this point do nothing. You already made several attempts to reach the buyer so leave it at that. If the package gets returned to you then you can refund minus your original shipping and fees. If the buyer contacts you after the package is returned then you  can invoice them to pay for re-shipping- or if you already refunded you can let them know the item has been relisted and is available to purchase again.

Message 6 of 7
latest reply

@coffeebean832 wrote:

If the buyer contacts you after the package is returned then you  can invoice them to pay for re-shipping- 

That is all I would do.

Message 7 of 7
latest reply