cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is my responsibility to the buyer now?

Sold something to a buyer in TX & used eBay shipping to purchase my label.  

Buyer lives in a multi-unit apartment complex & forgot to include their apt # with their address.  Her PO couldn't deliver the package without the apt #.  The PO sat on it for a week, & then sent it off to FORT BRAGG, NC where according to the tracking # it was delivered yesterday.

I have no clue why it was sent to FORT BRAGG & not returned to me in NJ.

I guess neither the buyer or myself will ever get our hands on the package.

What is my responsibility to the buyer?

The package would have been delivered 11 days ago if the buyer had provided the correct address.

Message 1 of 14
latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

Re: What is my responsibility to the buyer now?

Maybe the buyer is military and had the package forwarded to Fort Bragg.

Did the buyer complain about not getting their package?

Message 2 of 14
latest reply

@hurryagain wrote:

Maybe the buyer is military and had the package forwarded to Fort Bragg.

Did the buyer complain about not getting their package?

Buyer contacted me yesterday (the same day it was delivered in NC), asking for the tracking #.

After looking at the tracking history I googled her address & saw it was an apt complex, not a house.

I asked her about the address she had provided with her payment & she said she forgot the apt #.

Oh my, just noticed that the package had been forwarded on 7/31.

What happens now?

Tracking historyTracking history

Message 3 of 14
latest reply

Might want to go to your local post office with this info printed out for them to see and ask if it was possible that the addressee had their address forwarded...

I would think that only the buyer could do such a thing and their post office had attempted delivery to provided address, had notification of forwarding info and proceeded from there.  You are not responsible for her lack of APT# - that is her responsibility and ultimately she may but out of luck.

BTW - keep the email from her that says that she forgot to put down the apt #.  If this becomes ugly, ebay does consider her lack of an apt # as an incomplete/wrong address provided by the buyer and that will be on her.

Good luck on this situation.

Message 4 of 14
latest reply

I would just send her the link to the tracking history of her package on the USPS site so she can see it for herself. Show her where it says that it was forwarded. The PO isnt going to just make up a new address - somebody had it forwarded to Ft Brragg and it got delivered successfully to an address there. 

Message 5 of 14
latest reply

I may be going down the wrong track here, but wouldn't the buyer be aware if she had had her mail forwarded to Ft. Bragg?

Message 6 of 14
latest reply

@soh.maryl wrote:

I may be going down the wrong track here, but wouldn't the buyer be aware if she had had her mail forwarded to Ft. Bragg?

She should...only SHE can forward her mail.  USPS has been more diligent in recent years due to fraudulent activity so I doubt just any random person could do it...need your ID & proof of address...unless someone had specific intent in her area to do so...I would think that is unlikely.

Message 7 of 14
latest reply

@soh.maryl wrote:

She should be.

I'm wondering if this is a "the sellers carrier mis-deliverd my package and I can prove it" scam and the buyer intentionally had it forwarded trying to pull it off

Message 8 of 14
latest reply

@alt.uri12 wrote:

I'm wondering if this is a "the sellers carrier mis-deliverd my package and I can prove it" scam and the buyer intentionally had it forwarded trying to pull it off

If this was the buyer's intent...good luck to her on that since in her email to the seller, she admitted to forgetting to put down the apt#...little does she know that ebay will consider it her fault...she will have to refine her scamming habits! Smiley Wink

Message 9 of 14
latest reply

Paypal and Ebay have different rules on mail forwarding.

I think Ebay said if it is forwarded to another addr,buyer loses her protection.

while Paypal said otherwise?

Message 10 of 14
latest reply

USPS also offer mail intercept service for a fee,so if it is something expensive,yo can recall it.
Message 11 of 14
latest reply

@deech21 wrote:
USPS also offer mail intercept service for a fee,so if it is something expensive,yo can recall it.

Unfortunately it's been delivered already. 

Given the military destination, and how often the military moves people around, I wonder if the local PO at the original destination managed to confuse that package with someone else's COA order, and shipped it off to the wrong forwarding address (regardless of the name on the label). Ugh. Hate to think about how to unwind that mess. 

Maybe... just maybe... the Ford Bragg PO will eventually send it back as Addressee Unknown, if the buyer's name is on the package and they do not in fact reside at Fort Bragg...?

Message 12 of 14
latest reply

Thanks everyone for your input.  Tomorrow I'll stop by my local PO to see if they can provide additional info about the forward.  Then depending on how I make out with my PO, I might phone the Irving, TX & FORT BRAGG PO's to see if they have anything else to add.  Last night I had emailed USPS & received a case # that now appears on the eBay tracking info.  Maybe I'll hear back from USPS.com as well.  I'll let you know if I hear anything.

Message 13 of 14
latest reply

Great.  Please do update us as to how it all turns out.  Your outcome will be valuable information for future situations.

Good evening.

Message 14 of 14
latest reply