cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Watch out for using UPS thru EBAY !!!!!!!!! Overcharged and had to deal with myself EBAY no help

Bought UPS label for a 12.26 lb desktop thru EBAY which only costs $22.54 from Florida to Oregon

Great

Then I took the label and desktop to local UPS store, they packed as fragile electronics for addtl $30, no problem

Problem arose after package delivered, UPS billed EBAY for over $44... which EBAY PAID even though I only bought 22.54 for the label

AFter over 1/2 hour on phone with EBAY and then 2 UPS reps, 

EBAY said UPS daid package we 32lbs  (WHAAT !!! 20 lbs of packing, I doubt it)

UPS can only give a CREDIT, which they did for $21

But not to get that $$$ I have to go to local UPS store and use their shipping label (which means no EBAY discount).

this is really bad!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ebay said they could not work with the 3rd party as UPS already had the funds and I had to deal with it.

Once I get my Credit used, which I will when I sell another laptop, will have to ship UPS to get my $21

Will never use UPS thru EBAY again

Only USPS as I never have this probel with USPS, they take out money from pending payout immediately and do not adjust for weight difference 

At least in the past, that has been the case consistently

SO.....     W A T C H  ot as UPS FED EX etc all wait until pacakage is delivered, before they bill EBAY

and then can charge more than what you pre-paid for a shipping UPS label

Message 1 of 11
latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

Watch out for using UPS thru EBAY !!!!!!!!! Overcharged and had to deal with myself EBAY no help

Correction to a text statement....

EBAY said UPS said package weighed 32lbs  (WHAAT !!! 20 lbs of packing, I doubt it)

Message 2 of 11
latest reply

What were the dimensions of the package? Like the other carriers, UPS goes by dimensional weight, meaning that if the box is over a certain size, you will be charged a much higher price.

Message 3 of 11
latest reply

this is a very common problem on ebay when sellers use UPS shipping with ebay

supposedly the amount shown for shipping is just an estimate until further checking

many sellers with a UPS account will tell you to get a UPS account to avoid this exact situation

I am unsure how you finagled a credit becaue most sellers get bupkis for a UPS overcharge

Germantown proud Germantown strong
up the whiskey hickon
moving right along
Message 4 of 11
latest reply

You got of easy, has seen some that run into hundreds...

Length width height.

Package size can cost you a lot more then weight....

They all call it dimensional weight...

Also seems some of the carriers lately see it is through eBay, and just hit em with more at the check point...

Of course I could be wrong about that intentional thing....

Message 5 of 11
latest reply

The mistake was using actual weight and printing an eBay label first.

Next time...get the item packed up first.

Then, figure out the DIM weight (the size of your package), and then compare it to actual weight. (ie. 12.26 lb)

If the DIM weight is bigger, enter the DIM weight as the actual package weight for the eBay shipping label with the box size dimensions.

Your billable shipping rate is based on whichever is higher, actual weight or DIM weight.

Reference this guide on how to determine the DIM weight: https://ir.ebaystatic.com/pictures/aw/shipping/DIM_Weight_Guide.pdf

This is how it should be done whenever shipping with eBay UPS/FEDEX labels.

Message 6 of 11
latest reply

And this is how the right weight is determined for what you enter as weight in the shipping calculator on sale listings so that your customers are charged the right amount of shipping for FedEx/UPS.

Message 7 of 11
latest reply

No UPS is actually overcharging LOTS of packages.  Happened to me twice in the past week...Ebay Cost said roughly 10 dollars for UPS for the items (That's really low & NO EBAY LIES there is not discount).  Same package 46x4x4 2lb's at my local UPS store to the zip was roughly 16.....I ended up being charged 21.50!   I am done using them through ebay there is some serious fraud going on  with UPS.

Message 8 of 11
latest reply

There are a lot of experts out there who are saying there are dimensional surcharges, well if I measure & weight  a package correctly, then where does the dimensional surcharge come from, that's confusing me, what I'm saying is if all is done correctly Why is it not factored in at point that I purchase my label, says I got a 6"x6"x48" package that weighs 11lbs. Why can't I get an up front price on that? What could possibly cause the price at billing to go up, if it is measured and weighed correctly?

Message 9 of 11
latest reply

Open your own UPS account and ship from there. Then you are the shipper of record not eBay. Maybe things have changed, but last time I shipped UPS, the shipping window took me to UPS and I logged onto my account there. 

Other thing to remember is that FedEx and UPS shipping cost are estimates not actual cost. Actual cost will not be charged till after the item is delivered and can be very different than what was shown on eBay. 

Message 10 of 11
latest reply

Using ebay/UPS shipping is definitely a scam. Told me my shipping charge was $7.56 (buyer paid flat fee of $5.00) so that's 12.56 total for a poster that weighs less than a pound (10oz to be exact) shipped in a very light tube. Then UPS comes back and charged me an additional $12.95 totaling 25.51 to ship a poster! I sold the poster for $18.00 - so I am negative money on my sale! I will never use UPS w/ ebay again. Don't do it. I've been using ebay for 18 years. Never had this problem ever and that was the first time I used UPS through ebay.

Message 11 of 11
latest reply