cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USPS Not Scanning Packages

Our USPS Carriers for the most part do a great job picking up our packages in the rain, heat, cold.. and get them off and carry them away, One step is being missed, scanning my packages.  Seems some about 2% of our packages are not getting scanned until they get to state and sometimes only at time of delivery..  To my wonderful surprise eBay thinks I live in Guam, Portland and may other locations other then my shipping address in NC.. No matter we still take the hit for late packages..  And of course talking to customer service at eBay is a bust..  Anyone else having this issue?.   It seems talking to the postmaster and carriers, have little to no effect..  No matter what it has taken me from a 8 year in a row top rated to above standard.. another way for eBay to get more money.  

Message 1 of 46
latest reply
45 REPLIES 45

Re: USPS Not Scanning Packages

That is true no scan on the packages for days. Which makes the customers think you haven't shipped it.

Sad!

Message 31 of 46
latest reply

So even if a clerk scans the package, it might not show up in the tracking system?

Message 32 of 46
latest reply

You seem to have a handle on the woes trouble I've seen lately. One one day I had several pkgs scanned in (scan sheet) at our main post office. It took 5-6 weeks for them to arrive. USPS allows tracking that does not track. And it just quits after a while and will not tell location. It is maddening since I state 3 days handling time. I absolutely ship every day now just to give it that leeway for when (not if) packages disappear into thin air. I have a buyer filing a case in only a week's wait and she doesn't care that I shipped early. So I feel a negative fb coming on and must refund the money. How long do you make a buyer wait for refunding their money? I call usps consumer affairs. No apology. No answer. I truly believe that informed delivery is a problem. If they are sacrificing existing services to thin out their workforce, and they cannot keep up with the work load, then customers suffer and no one wins. Also, a buyer can see a pic of what is to arrive in their email and intercept the postal worker causing it to not be scanned as delivered. That scares me. The people at usps.com and in the local offices, do not have any concerns about this stuff. They have told me my packages were not scanned in when I show the receipts showing they were. Any help or similar troubles noted greatly appreciated.
Message 33 of 46
latest reply

absolutely true
Message 34 of 46
latest reply

Been selling at Ebay for many many years, I have the same problem with my post office, made several complaints but no improvements. The post office here never admit that there is something wrong with their scanning machine or their improper handling of the mail by their staff, therefore,  did nothing about it. It is happening again today, 4 packages dropped off, only one is scanned acceptance, nothing for ther other three.

Message 35 of 46
latest reply

I see I’m not alone.  I started using package pickup again after stopping for nearly 3 months.  In Early December,  I had a package going to Australia set for pickup.  I get home, package is not here, I assume it’s been picked up.  Not so fast. I get an email saying a pickup was attempted but no package was found.  **bleep**.  Sent emails, talked to supervisor, went nowhere.  I assumed it was stolen or lost.  3 weeks later tracking just shows “Delivered”.  Never scanned in locally or any sort of Customs scan.

fast forward to this week. Left 2 packages out Monday.  both were picked up. Email notification says pickup attempted, no packages found.  Today I get an email notification for the same pickup, stating the number of packages was incorrect.  1 package has already been delivered - not scanned local.  1 package still not in system.  

So annoyed.  I wish there were better options.  I don’t have time to stand in line every day for 20-30 minutes.  I work 6:30am - 4:30-5.  

And yes my eBay seller status suffers. 

Message 36 of 46
latest reply

Well I absolutely snapped. I always ship my items within a couple hours of purchace or the morning after.  Going so far as to sit down with the postmaster. I thought for sure it was personal as my late delivery rate is now 18.65%. One package sitting for a week though all the late packages were priority. After taking responsibility in person I requested an email, and he denyed all responsibility. I think we should hold them accountable for sitting on our packages, and this does affect business. I should be a top rated seller and recieve higher shipping discounts and priority advertizing. This costs us money, time and business. I just filed complaints and was thinking of speaking with my lawyer until I saw this forum and others for amazon..apperantly this is happening to everyone everywhere. Maybe it is ebay that should make a provision for this, or start cracking down on the postal system? I don't know, but I suppose I have already declared war on my local post office and it's too late to go back now.

Message 37 of 46
latest reply

Our fees are higher, discounts lower, and advertising non-existent. I now pay extra to promote and advertise my listings and pay more for shipping as the discount ebay gives me is half of what it was as a top rated seller. My frustration is not with ebay, but reading this maybe they should be taking steps to fix this for us. Ultimately the Postal Service is costing us money.
Message 38 of 46
latest reply

Yes! I have had several packages not scanned recently although they were handed directly to the postal worker at the counter. To further complicate things, when handed a reciept which I highly recommend from any post office, it only has a "label number" which can be confusing to track if package isn't scanned. My most recent incident where I handed 2 packages both with ebay shipping labels to my local post office and she scanned only one package, the other however was completely lost with absolutley no information for days (a week) until after it was practically delivered. I spoke to our post master general and he was helpful enough so I feel it is the lack of job knowledge that the temporary postal workers in my area have to do their job.  I am only above standard level on ebay and don't constantly sell but I find the  whole 'ebay' packaging and labeling process confusing and easily messed up if your not a regular seller.  

Message 39 of 46
latest reply

Yeah...mailmen deliver without scanning either, which gives savvy ebay buyers the opportunity to say they never received their item. I sold a $3.50 gum machine NFL helmet to an absolute FLAKE that asked me a stupid question everyday until it arrived...things like..."does it come with a glass display case" No idiot, and shipping was on me so you do the math..don't know what I was thinking on listing that? Anyway, the final tracking message I received said "Out for delivery" The mailman probably just handed it to the guy (and didn't scan) The buyer was inside filing an "Item not received" within minutes. Iwas out my item packing and shipping costs.
Message 40 of 46
latest reply

I’m having this issue as well. A package never scanned last month and never arrived. Lost sale and funds. Another scanned and tracked until the day it was due to arrive, then nothing more. They said it was “misplaced”! Another I dropped off at the PO yesterday, and still no scan. And the rates are going up again soon; for their amazing service?!
Message 41 of 46
latest reply

This makes me crazy also. Just shipped a $300 item from northern VA to TX this week (March 2019). The first USPS scan was in Austin two days after I took it to my local PO. I hope my buyer is not frustrated... 

Message 42 of 46
latest reply

Still does not guarantee tracking will be uploaded on time ,or sit in limbo somewhere. I stand in line and hand clerk all my packages, watch them get scanned, get receipt, and still have the same issues. Not showing up for day or 2 as, usps is in possession of item. And, Still having issues of packages reading out for delivery, waiting delivery scan, etc. USPS is HORRENDOUS! Now they are costing me $$$$$$ i cant afford!

Message 43 of 46
latest reply

Yes. I am proof positive of it. I personally hand clerk ALL my Shipments watch get scanned and receive a receipt and still have issues.  

Message 44 of 46
latest reply

Even if you stand in line for 20-30 min. still going to have the same issues. Frustrating

Message 45 of 46
latest reply