cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USPS May Leave Universal Postal Union Next Month, Good Luck Chinese Sellers

This should have a major impact on ebay Chinese sellers if it happens 

https://www.freightwaves.com/news/us-to-leave-global-postal-union-next-month-barring-last-minute-act...

Message 1 of 35
latest reply
34 REPLIES 34

Re: USPS May Leave Universal Postal Union Next Month, Good Luck Chinese Sellers

"Sounds like someone profiteering off a situation that hasn't happened yet."

Sounds like someone being pro-active in the event the worst happens. Kind of like wearing a seat belt in case of a situation that hasn't happened yet. What are your plans should 190 countries that can get along just fine within the confines of their combined economies decide that they each need a new contract with the USA - one that substantially raises international rates to and from the USA?

Message 31 of 35
latest reply

@altur-7635 wrote:

@rktoyandhobby wrote:

@the*dog*ate*my*tablecloth wrote:

Good luck American sellers who ship overseas to the other developed nations in the union.

When things aren't working it makes makes more sense to fix the problem than blow up the entire process. This is like burning down the factory because the sorting machine is broken.

When was the last time you looked at international postage?  It's been insane for years.  Even to Canada.  I'm as far from Toronto as Cleveland and it costs over 3 times as much to ship over the border.  That's wrong, it stifles trade, and nobody's done anything to fix it.

It's unfortunate that we have to take a hard line on this but that's what happens when the other side won't give an inch.  China and its minions in the UPU will either get with the program or they'll suffer the consequences.

When we leave the universal postal Union what do you think prices are going to do? It's a safe bet that they aren't going to go down.

My international buying and selling were destroyed years ago, so I don't give a **bleep** what happens to the price of international shipping.

Message 32 of 35
latest reply

Have you read this from ? ce-9809

And your thoughts are ?

Message 33 of 35
latest reply

@rschissler wrote:

You missed how, under the current system, China sellers can ship to the US for practically nothing.  That would be the main focus here.

300% increase for many off-shore (china based or not) sellers seems pretty hefty.  but if it puts them on more of  a shipping par with u.s. based sellers … then it would make it much harder for them to undercut and underprice items in the u.s. market.  but it will affect u.s. buyers who buy in bulk to resell also.  maybe making the resale of these same items at a much more competitive level with u.s. originated and based product.  maybe even promoting the reoccurance (sp?) of new or expanded u.s. based businesses and industries.

at the same time, it should slow the outbound dollars into foreign economies... just a thought; but that would help our economy too.

and I imagine if we pull out it will cause many growing 'pains' for quite some time.  but I believe in the long run it would be worth it.

Message 34 of 35
latest reply

I don't know if threatening to leave the UPU is the right thing, but something has to be done. It's absurd that China, with the second-largest economy in the world, is a Category 3 country.

Message 35 of 35
latest reply