cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USPS FIRST CLASS SHIPPING NOW UP TO 16 OUNCES HOW TO SHIP SMARTLY

As a seller, in the past if the item you are shipping weighed over 13 ounces you could not ship at first class rates. However USPS now allows you to ship up to 16 ounces (1lb.) using first class.

USPS charges $6.45 normal rates for shipping an item that weighs 14 -16 ounces. This is comparible to using USPS Priority flat rate envelope for $6.45. 

However your ebay discount for using USPS is much greater if you choose first class over Priority when mailing.

For example for a 16 ounce package my cost for shipping is only $3.65 compared to $5.75 if using Priority flat rate mail.

Where I have found this useful is when I am listing an item that falls into the 14-16 ounce range I often will charge the buyer $4 to $5 to ship first class and make a little on shipping while giving them a $2 to $3 discount by not having to use Priority.

I keep this in mind when I am packaging items for shipment,knowing if I can keep the package weight at one pound or below I can benefit as well as the buyer. In the past I would have no alternative but to ship Parcel or Priority.

Message 1 of 25
latest reply
24 REPLIES 24

Re: USPS FIRST CLASS SHIPPING NOW UP TO 16 OUNCES HOW TO SHIP SMARTLY

Hasn't this been going on since January 2016?

·•❖•· the wolf you feed wins ·•❖•·
Message 2 of 25
latest reply

Yup. January 17.

Message 3 of 25
latest reply

Just make sure that if your listing states "Priority" that you ship Priority. Even if it's cheaper to ship 1st Class.

You are not allowed to downgrade service.

penguins_dont_fly is a Volunteer Community Mentor
Buying and Selling since 2013

Message 4 of 25
latest reply

Actually it is anything UNDER 1# 

15.9 ounces can ship FCP, 16 ounces can not.

Message 5 of 25
latest reply

@lja440 wrote:

Actually it is anything UNDER 1# 

15.9 ounces can ship FCP, 16 ounces can not.

This is important...

Printing from a desktop lets you to select 16oz from the dropdown menu. Printing from the mobile app allows you to enter 16oz or 1lb as the weight. Both will generate a First Class label...

However, either way the label will actually show 15.9 oz. If the actual weight of the package is 1lb or more, it needs to go Parcel or Priority.

Message 6 of 25
latest reply

Nothing has changed.  The weight limit for USPS First Class Mail parcels remains at 13 oz. 

The weight limit for a DIFFERENT class of mail -- First Class Package Service -- is 15.999 oz. and always has been.  In fact, eBay has provided this online service for years, and the rates are published by USPS:

http://pe.usps.com/text/dmm300/Notice123.htm

Anyone who purchases online prepaid postage (except at usps.com) pays the FCP rates -- there is no special eBay discount because there is nothing to discount from.

At present, eBay and other PC vendors quote FCM for 1-3 oz. ($2.45) because it is lower than the FCP rate ($2.60).  That anomaly will be corrected on August 28 when the FCM rate rises to $2.62 and the FCP rate is restored to the published rate of $2.60.

You should note that eBay has failed to alert sellers that FCP has content restrictions -- e.g., no documents -- not applicable to FCM. This class of mail also is open to postal inspection (like Media Mail) whereas FCM is not.

Both FCP and FCM are considered by eBay as "standard shipping" and do not include indemnity.  Priority Mail is considered "expedited shipping" and does include up to $50 indemnity. (Some eBay sellers are eligible for up to $100 indemnity.)

Bottom line:  Offer both FCP and Priority Mail at appropriate rates and let buyers choose the service that meets their requirements and expectations.

~~C~~

My Glass Duchess
Quoting Mom: In polite society, "hey" is for horses.
Message 7 of 25
latest reply

In January, what changed was that USPS consolidated the Commercial Base and Commercial Plus rates for FCP.  Before that, eBay sellers all paid the Commercial Base rate, which was capped at 13 ounces.

@duchess-at-speakeasy wrote:

... eBay has failed to alert sellers that FCP has content restrictions -- e.g., no documents -- not applicable to FCM. This class of mail also is open to postal inspection (like Media Mail) whereas FCM is not....

That's a pretty fine point for eBay staff to understand and explain. They can't even figure out how the Regional-rate boxes work.

Message 8 of 25
latest reply

Thanks for sharing that info!

Message 9 of 25
latest reply

How do regional rate boxes work?  No one anywhere, including USPS seems to know the answer

Message 10 of 25
latest reply

Today - What is ebay charging it's Sellers for 14 oz, 15 oz and 15.9999 oz first class? and do Sellers put in 16 oz when buying a label for a 15.999 oz package?

Message 11 of 25
latest reply

@merrynbrite wrote:

How do regional rate boxes work?  No one anywhere, including USPS seems to know the answer

@merrynbrite

It would be est if you start a spearte thread, since this is a different topic than th original topic for this thread.

Basically, if you use one of the specific Regoinal boxes, your package ships at a rate that is adjusted for distance but not for weight, so they can be a  great money-saver.

Message 12 of 25
latest reply

@merrynbrite wrote:

Today - What is ebay charging it's Sellers for 14 oz, 15 oz and 15.9999 oz first class? and do Sellers put in 16 oz when buying a label for a 15.999 oz package?

Yes, you enter 16 ounces if you plain to ship online.  Prices are shown here"

First Class package 1_22_2017.png

Message 13 of 25
latest reply

yes. I posted this article last year.

Message 14 of 25
latest reply

This was an exceptionally written response and has been most helpful to me.  Seems like this individual understands the issue and provides the information in an understandable direct way.  Now, Please tell me how to approach the counter clerks at USPS when they tell me I am exceeding the weight (14 - 15.9999 ounces) of a FCP.

Message 15 of 25
latest reply