cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

UPS overcharging for shipping!

Im getting fed up with UPS and eBay regarding the additional fee's I'm being charged after-the-fact! I'm generating my shipping labels directly from eBay; entering in the size & weight of the package (rounding up on sizing) and choosing the most cost-effective shipping option. In these three cases, UPS Ground was the cheapest/quickest shipping method...

After the first overcharge notice, I put a call into eBay to see what was going on. I was told they would forward the inquiry to UPS for evaluation/dispute/credit. After speaking with eBay, I double checked my package size/weight and everything checked-out fine. Although my weight for the package was 1.7# and the UPS corrected weight was 2# (according to UPS, my sizing was correct). So I went and generated another shipping label for the same order, this time using the 2# shipping weight; I was quote THE SAME PRICE as the 1.7# label... No big deal, as I already knew UPS rounds up to the nearest pound; so either way, my eBay quoted price was the same.

So what should have been a $8 - $10 shipping charge, turned out to be an ADDITIONAL $11.75 more!

I called eBay each time I received the notice about the shipping adjustment and each time was not given any explanation as to what is wrong with my package that would warrant a more than 100% increase in shipping cost.

If UPS wants to charge eBay sellers more than what was quoted to us at the time of label purchase; then they should give us a detailed explanation for the added charge. Otherwise, this is just theft/fraud...

1.jpg2.jpg3.jpg

Message 1 of 38
latest reply
37 REPLIES 37

Re: UPS overcharging for shipping!

They should have gave a reason why the cost adjustment, even if they don't, call ebay back and request to dispute the UPS charges. I've had 2 this year and was refund for both, UPS double the length on one and added the weight to other. I also got refund for a third because UPS said either ebay, me or the buyer requested the package to be stopped and return to me, no one did. Since you buy the label through ebay, a seller can't request it to be changed or return, plus why would ebay stop a package. It was a weird one for sure.

Message 2 of 38
latest reply

@central-vacmasters 

Upcharging after the fact has often been a problem when using eBay UPS. In the past, the published costs were often just "estimates" to be reconciled after the fact.  I don't have time to research this for you this morning but a quick look suggests it is perhaps the "27 inch" dimension that is adding to your extra billed amount. 

Though I don't sell HERE, I do use UPS on occasion for larger heavier items.  I take them to the UPS store and have them "weighed and measured" again and get a receipt even though they are already prepaid.  PirateShip will not upcharge you after the fact, as happens with eBay, especially if you have that receipt.  You could also, pay a little more and pay CASH at the UPS store, which may prevent any additional charges  to you as well.  

From others we have seen, your $11.75 is pretty small comparted to others that have been in the hundreds or more.  I am sure that is not much consolation to you at this point, but just wanted to pass on the information. 

Message 3 of 38
latest reply

The upgrade charge is a penalty.  It is NOT an increase in cost to what it should have been. 
The reasons for the upcharge may not be clear to you.  Instead of an explanation, UPS simply adjusts/penalizes and enters some numbers in one of only a couple of places.  (like a multiple choice where you have a few answers, and if none of them are correct, you must choose the "most" correct).
SO, most of the time it's not clear as to why they upgraded the package.
    That's not right, but Unfortunately, that's just how it works.

As for the upgrade itself?   You claim to have made no mistakes.  BUT, some minimum wage hourly employee that can't read a scale or a tape measure.  Doesn't care one little bit about doing their job right. AND probably thinks upgrading packages is funny  (Look what I did to this package, Bob! hahahha).
    Well, that wins unless you want to spend $50 in time a labor to attempt to get $12 correction.  Which usually you'll lose anyway.

Message 4 of 38
latest reply

Once again, NEVER, EVER totally trust what you hear from eBay CS over the phone. They'll tell you anything just to get you off the phone, and have a reputation for total incompetence. If you want to get a real eBay employee's explanation for the issue, go to Ebay For Business on Facebook and use the private message button to get things rolling (don't just post there).

Cheers, Duffy

Message 5 of 38
latest reply

You can avoid eBay UPS label overcharges by simply buying your UPS labels at Pirate ship. Other than USPS, I never buy labels on eBay. Beyond the post office service, label prices here never seem accurate. So instead of wasting time fighting over price over charges, I just buy other labels from other providers who can charge the right amount the FIRST time. 

Message 6 of 38
latest reply

The only way to use FEDX or UPS is to have your own account. Ebay being the account holder is the one that has to work with the carrier to get mistakes like this fixed and well, they won’t. 

The Race is over
The Rats won.
Message 7 of 38
latest reply

I never purchase my labels through eBay and I seldom use UPS but when I do as others mentioned I always use Pirate Ship to purchase the label and when I drop the item at the UPS store I have the clerk weigh and measure the package and make sure both are noted on the receipt and then have them sign the receipt for validation. 

I have NEVER had a UPS surcharge but I have read some of the horror stories on this forum of sellers that have had. This being the most recent. 

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Shipping/Charged-1380-and-not-200-for-eBay-Generated-UPS-Label/m-p/341... 

Message 8 of 38
latest reply

With you having nearly 15,000 feedbacks reflecting very healthy sales, consider not using eBay's unreliable, inaccurate, and cumbersome shipping/labeling service. Best to use Pirate Ship or Stamps.com, or other more reliable shipping/labeling service. Any cost would be a drop in the bucket for your healthy volume of sales. My sales are a bit smaller than yours, and I only pay an expensible $20 a month.

I stopped using eBay's labeling system about 14 years ago for a lot of reasons, and switched over to Stamps.com, I now get reliability, accuracy, stability, automatic import & postback, and a real live, understandable US-based CS rep, with the authority to actually get things solved, on the other end of the 800 number for those very rare occasions when I needed help or a question answered. In 14 years, I only had to call them a handful of times, and found out that the problem was usually on my end, and only once on theirs.

I've never had any postage cost issues with Stamps.com. A big difference - think about it...

Cheers, Duffy

Message 9 of 38
latest reply

@central-vacmasters 

By chance were the 3 packages tubes? UPS has a $11.75 surcharge for tubes.

Message 10 of 38
latest reply

Why are you using UPS instead of USPS?   For that light of an object you need to be using USPS anyway.  I have shipped thousands of packages with USPS and I have never had one needing extra postage nor has any package gone missing!  Knock on wood.

Message 11 of 38
latest reply

But you can save about 20% on shipping labels if you use Ebay's service!  Why wouldn't you want to save 20% on your shipping costs?

Message 12 of 38
latest reply

With dimensions of 3 x 27 x 3, that has to be a tube!

Message 13 of 38
latest reply

I use square tubes and haven't paid a surcharge

Message 14 of 38
latest reply

@kntukyboy wrote:

But you can save about 20% on shipping labels if you use Ebay's service!  Why wouldn't you want to save 20% on your shipping costs?

Because you CAN get labels with other providers, CHEAPER than the labels through eBay. I just bought a USPS ground label tonight on Pirate ship for 7.67 OR I could have bought the same label through eBay for 10.85. Gee, which one do you think I chose?

eBay makes money on EVERY label you buy. You are NOT getting it for the same price as they pay. 

Message 15 of 38
latest reply