cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

UPS left the package on the porch, it rained and got wet

So I sold this PS3 (Only for parts) and everything was fine up until I got a message from the buyer with pictures of the item that was left on the porch, unfortunately it rained and got wet. I called UPS and they say that the item didn't have insurance so its on me. Who's at fault here? What do I do? Should i refund the buyer and take the loss? Thank you guys.

Message 1 of 27
latest reply
26 REPLIES 26

Re: UPS left the package on the porch, it rained and got wet

Your NOT required to refund for that.  eBay requires you get it delivered. Your not expected to guard the package after delivery.   

Message 2 of 27
latest reply

Thank you!!

Message 3 of 27
latest reply

Did you purchase the UPS shipping label through eBay @minersmine? If you did then it includes $100 of insurance, although I don't know if they'll cover this type of claim.

https://www.ebay.com/help/selling/shipcover/shipping-insurance-shipcover?id=4643#section3

This question is always a debate. Some say it's the buyer's responsibility to provide a safe delivery location. Some say it's the carrier's responsibility to not leave packages out in the open. Some say it's the seller's responsibility to pack items, anticipating they could get wet from weather or other accidents (like another package that's leaking on it).

I honestly don't know what eBay's official policy is.

I pack every item and make sure it's weather-proof. In the last year I've had no less than 6 buyers send me messages after delivery to thank me, saying the package was left by their carrier in the pouring rain but the item was undamaged because of the way I packed it.

Has the buyer filed a formal claim or just sent messages at this stage?

Did the buyer verify if the inside contents were damaged or if it's just the outer box?

GLORIOUS!

Confused about the switch to eBay discounted shipping? Read this discussion to make an informed decision about opt in / opt out.
Message 4 of 27
latest reply

No formal complaint yet, he just send me images of the box being wet and the PS3 which was sold for parts only (not to be used as if it was in good condition). He mentioned that he's afraid of turning it on because he saw water on it, once again the PS3 was sold only for parts as it was stated on the description, not to be used as if it was actually working. The box was damaged and wet and it was actually USPS that delivered it, I reached out to them but they said that I didn't purchase insurance so its on me.

Message 5 of 27
latest reply

@minersmine wrote:

it was actually USPS that delivered it

Got it - your first post said UPS.

If you shipped with a ground service then that's correct - it is uninsured unless you purchase separate insurance. With Priority Mail insurance is included up to $100.

GLORIOUS!

Confused about the switch to eBay discounted shipping? Read this discussion to make an informed decision about opt in / opt out.
Message 6 of 27
latest reply

@minersmine wrote:

So I sold this PS3 (Only for parts) and everything was fine up until I got a message from the buyer with pictures of the item that was left on the porch, unfortunately it rained and got wet. I called UPS and they say that the item didn't have insurance so its on me. Who's at fault here? What do I do? Should i refund the buyer and take the loss? Thank you guys.

The buyer is at fault. It is the buyer's responsibility to ensure a safe location for their item to be delivered.

Message 7 of 27
latest reply

People keep repeating this: "

It is the buyer's responsibility to ensure a safe location for their item to be delivered."

Here is what the DMM says about leaving parcels:

1.2 Carrier Release Endorsement for Parcels

The carrier release endorsement “CARRIER — LEAVE IF NO RESPONSE” instructs carriers to leave the parcel if no one is available to accept the parcel or when the addressee has filed a written order to allow a carrier to leave the par­cel. A parcel may be left in an unprotected location, such as a stairway or uncovered porch, only when it bears the “CARRIER — LEAVE IF NO RESPONSE” endorsement. The endorsement must appear directly to the left of the postage area (preferred) or directly below the return address as specified in 102.4.3 and 402.3.3. A carrier release endorsement may be used on only:

a. Uninsured parcels

b. Parcels that do not require a signature

Message 8 of 27
latest reply

I might add that every parcel that I have had delivered by USPS recently that were left on my front porch bore the carrier release endorsement “CARRIER — LEAVE IF NO RESPONSE” 

If the package did not bear the endorsement, a notice should have been left in the addressee's mail box.

Message 9 of 27
latest reply

It's the responsibility of the buyer to provide any special delivery instructions.  They could either have the package delivered to a work address, or leave a note on the porch for the UPS or USPS driver to place the package where it won't get wet, which I have done before.  My UPS driver has also covered larger packages with clear plastic (UPS brought it).  The buyer should check the forecast also.  If there is a week of rain or snow ahead, then they should know that their package could wet on the front porch.  

Message 10 of 27
latest reply

If a package will not fit into the mail box, or if there is not a protected location, the carrier is supposed to leave a notice in the mail box. That is in the DMM, that is supposed to be how it happens. You do not have to have special delivery instructions in place if you do not have a protected location. Since a carrier release endorsement is necessary for  uninsured parcels of parcels that need to be signed for, it goes without saying that you cannot leave insured parcels or parcels that need to be signed for. 

I think that carries are simply instructed to not bring any parcels back.

Message 11 of 27
latest reply

Don't refund. Tell buyer what the others stated.  In the future,  put all of your pricier items in a bag and seal the bag.  This is an added protection just in case for these situations.  You can get a 1000 t-shirt bags in white or black at Sams club for around 18.99.   Actually if you check ebay,  there are some folks drop shipping them on ebay for less than that price.   I guess they did not realize that the Sam's club raised their prices.

If buyer persists, remind him that the psp was for parts only. and was not going to turn on (or did not work , state whatever you wrote in the description.) Suggest that they open up the unit and let it air out for a few days in the warmest room in their home.

Message 12 of 27
latest reply

It’s what I do. Everything I mail is in a sealed plastic bag with the packing slip. 

If you don’t sell larger items often, use a clean plastic grocery bag. I’ve had a few so large I used a kitchen trash bag. 

For smaller parts I purchased several rolls and sizes of produce bags. Cheap and good insurance against water damage and in cases where your label gets torn off the box or the box destroyed, the packing slip is in the bag and they can still route to the destination. 

The Race is over
The Rats won.
Message 13 of 27
latest reply

Thank you guys for the feedback, I reached out to eBay and they told me to ask the buyer to open a case against me, they will rule in my favor and they will take it from there. This is a learning experience for me, thank you guys for the feedback.

Message 14 of 27
latest reply

I don't know that I would believe that. Has your buyer actually asked for anything? If they file a not as described claim you lose. Why on earth would you encourage your buyer to give you a ding.

Message 15 of 27
latest reply