cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

UK's Guardian Paper "Ebay accused of failing its sellers as fraudulent buyers manipulate the system"

The drum beats concerning eBays handling or shall we say MIShandling of returns has now gone "public" - since "even a blind man" can see the problems with returns fraud is OUT OF CONTROL and is being ignored by eBay.

Lets look at some highlights:

"Readers related instances where a buyer falsely claimed to have been sent beetroot instead of a mobile phone, while another buyer stuffed an envelope with a used T-shirt instead of a £258 pair of trainers he claimed to be returning. Both were refunded under eBay’s “money back guarantee”.

"“There is something wrong,” eBay admitted last April.   (so may be DO SOMETHING ??? eBay??)

"but an unscrupulous buyer can ignore contact and open a claim directly with eBay. In many cases it issues an automatic refund without any evidence from the seller being considered."

"The seller has no recourse under PayPal’s seller protection scheme since this is invalidated when a buyer claims directly through eBay. And although eBay’s own rules require buyers to send disputed items back, refunds are sometimes released before this happens – or after damaged or substitute goods have been returned. "

"Ebay may have been duped by its own rules which only allow sellers to leave positive ratings for buyers in case, as it admits, criticism puts the latter off future spending."

"It’s a policy that appears to protect eBay’s profits at the expense of sellers’ reputations, as eBay’s own website explains: “We’re counting any activities we’ve found that decrease a buyer’s likelihood to come back and shop with us again, as defects”.

"So anxious is the company to keep buyers spending that it turned a blind eye to a stream of violent threats sent by one to a seller in Australia."

"Dean Marchant sold a £400 turntable to a buyer who requested a return and sent back a different damaged device. Marchant sent photographs of the smashed item to eBay which, nonetheless, refunded the buyer. Because the buyer had contacted eBay’s dispute resolution service, a defect was recorded against Marchant."

You can read the entire article here for yourself!  https://www.theguardian.com/money/2017/may/21/ebay-accused-failing-sellers-buyers-manipulate-system-...

Its time eBay "grew up" and stopped helping buyers steal from sellers - enough is enough!

Message 1 of 5
latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

UK's Guardian Paper "Ebay accused of failing its sellers as fraudulent buyers manipulate the system"

There's also an active discussion about this article in the selling forum if you're interested in checking it out.

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Selling/Article-Ebay-Accused-of-Failing-Its-Sellers/m-p/26994974

Message 2 of 5
latest reply

Here is my take on the alleged "accusations," there is truth in 99.9% of the accusations being made.  Changes to Seller Protection, I will believe when I see it because somehow I think an individual Seller will get shafted.  

There, I said it.

Message 3 of 5
latest reply

The individual seller will always be shafted by eBay when it comes to dishonest buyers and outright scammers.  eBay has sold its soul to the dishonest buyers and scammers.  They might claim they will make changes to the seller protection policies, but you can't make changes to something that doesn't even exist.  

Whatever eBay eventaully does in the name of improving seller protection, will only screw over sellers even more.  That is a certainty with today's eBay leadership.

Message 4 of 5
latest reply

Just got first ever negative feedback from a buyer who had never bought anything from Ebay before, opened his account that day, wanted me to  send him a $500.00 order, but his feedback is valid to eBay, becasue eBay can not figure out that sellers have to say no to scammers.  There was also a discrepency in his Paypal account, just enough to let him screw me..  Ebay sucks, eventually there will a better flea market, ebay's stock is accutally down over the last three years, they have a high debt load, it will come plunging down. I for one will dance with joy when it happens.  Thier debt load is the scarriest part that sellers never talk about. Poorly run and mangaed company.

Message 5 of 5
latest reply