cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Troublesome buyer & return request

I'm dealing with a troublesome, inexperienced buyer that has requested a return, and I need advice. I do not feel obligated to comply in this instance. But, I'm keeping my account in mind too.

I recently posted a jacket for cheap-$40 (orginally $200) because of the wear, which is detailed in the description and in the photos. Because of its condition I specifically put "Sold as is, no returns." As with all my posts I wrote "USA only," not offering international shipping. A Canadian buyer made an offer so I declined stating I don't ship outside the US. Then they made another offer. I declined again with another similar message pointing to my description. Then they made a NEW account with a similar name, and bought it (somehow?) and sent me a message asking for an invoice. I said that while I don't ship internationally (for the third time), I would be willing in this case if they paid around $23 for Priority shipping. They did, and I thought they'd be happy.

A few days ago I got a return request, saying I did not mention all the wear, specifically the two stains and the tiny hole in front. However, the stains were photographed and mentioned in the description (saying that the last two photos showed them!). I didn't specify the tiny hole- either it was too small for me to notice when I did my thorough check, or she made it herself. Either way, I was very honest about the jacket not being in great condition, the price clearly reflected that, and I went out of my way to ship to someone who refused to honor my rules about it being sold as is and no international shipping. Everything is stated clearly in my post.

We've been messaging back and forth, and they aren't rude, but they are not understanding what I'm saying. I told them that in this case it isn't right for me to pay for shipping, but I will accept the return if they ship themselves. I also offered a $20 partial refund.

While I await a response, I have until Dec 1 to respond (tomorrow). Does that just mean to just contact the buyer or that it be settled by then? And what happens if it is not settled? Will eBay step in? I wouldn't mind that because I don't see how I am at fault, as explained above. I am an experienced seller and this is someone's brand new account.

Apolgize for the length, any advice appreciated. Thank you.

Message 1 of 36
latest reply
35 REPLIES 35

Re: Troublesome buyer & return request

If you want it back, I wouldn't wait until then.

You might end up loosing your money and the jacket.

Have a great day
Message 16 of 36
latest reply

You can send the money for shipping the item back via Paypal using the 'send and request - pay for goods and services' function.  Do not use the friends and family option. If the buyer does not send the item back you can file a claim with paypal for an item not received. Basically you are buying the return label and if the buyer can't show with online tracking that you received an item (the label) from him, you should be refunded. I haven't actually done this but I have heard of a couple of sellers who were able to get their return shipping money back in this situation.

You don't want to wait for ebay to step in.  If they decide in the buyer's favour and I'm sure they will, you will get an unresolved claim defect which is not a good thing.  Honestly, imo the hole is not blaringly obvious in the pics unless I was looking for it.  If you wouldn've mentioned it in the description I would suggest phoning ebay before the deadline date and show them that the buyer got exactly what was shown but because you mentioned the stains but not the hole, they could think that the buyer was misled. 

If you end up sending them money for return shipping, you can check what it would cost on the CP shipping calculator. https://www.canadapost.ca/cpotools/apps/far/business/findARate?execution=e1s1   In order to have tracking, they would have to send it with tracked packet if the package is under 1 kg (2.2lbs) or with  regular or expedited parcel if it weighs more than that.

Message 17 of 36
latest reply

@pjcdn2005 wrote:

Honestly, imo the hole is not blaringly obvious in the pics unless I was looking for it.  

Where is the hole?

Message 18 of 36
latest reply

I would strongly suggest contacting eBay before they make a decision themselves on behalf of the buyer.  I just went through a similar situation.  I sell vitamins, nutritional supplements, etc and my return policy clearly states no returns for opened/unsealed items.  Buyer wanted to send back the opened bottle even though there was a manufacturer 100% money back guarantee.  All he had to do was contact them.  He opened up a case, and claimed it as a "defective" item.  The product is not defective but it just didn't work for him (buyer remorse?).  He ended up being the first to contact eBay (by phone) which I regret though I truly believed my return policy actually mattered.  Ebay ultimately decided in the buyer's favor and even made me pay the return shipping of all things.  Ebay rep stated I had to pay the return shipping since it was in the "defective" category.  Now, my seller account was hit with a "case unresolved by seller" and has consequently aided in my losing Top Rated Seller status.

Your situation is very much different than ours but if they claim it as an "item not as described", they'll rule in the buyer's favor always. 

Good Luck

Message 19 of 36
latest reply

Thank you everyone, very helpful. I started the return process last night and messaged them with instructions on how to ship it (being sure to include tracking info to prove it was shipped) and to show me proof of the label's cost so I can reimburse them. They haven't responded to that message so we'll see if they actually ship it back to me. I have a feeling they won't, and that I'll have to open a claim with PayPal as mentioned above. Hopefully I just get it back in the same condition (also doubtful).

Message 20 of 36
latest reply

You are going to be required to send money to the buyer for postage before they ship it back to you.

It will probably cost around $30.

Are you willing to send the money?

Message 21 of 36
latest reply

eBay didn't say that I have to send them shipping money before they ship it out. See below. Once I got this message I immediately contacted the buyer with detailed instructions. It also shouldn't cost $30 when it cost me $24 USD to ship via Priority Flat Rate Padded Envelope International, so it should be a little less for return shipping (Canadian dollar is weaker, they don't have to ship via an expensive service unless they want to).  I worry that they aren't going to ship it back. This person made much ado about nothing and now funds will be on hold in my PayPal account for who knows how long.Screen Shot 2017-11-30 at 7.01.15 PM.png

Message 22 of 36
latest reply

Note that they do tell you to upload something showing that you paid the buyer for shipping. If the buyer asks eBay to step in because they haven’t received money to pay for a label and you haven’t uploaded that info, you could get an unresolved claim defect.  When both buyer and seller are in the US the buyer doesn’t have to put out any money for return shipping.  eBay wants the situation to work similar for International snad returns even though the system is not set up for it.   

Message 23 of 36
latest reply

If you don't want to ship internationally, then they should not have been able to buy it at all.  You obviously do not have your shipping country exclusion blocks set up correctly to enforce your stated policy.  Go do it now.  In this case, I would have cancelled the sale as a "problem with a buyer's address" for being located outside the US.

BTW, I have never had a problem shipping to Canada, or anywhere else internationally.  But each seller has to decide what they are comfortable doing. 

Message 24 of 36
latest reply

My policies were set up well. The way they bought it (with a new account, after making 2 declined offers), they had to send me a message after added to the cart to ask me for an invoice so they could pay for it. That is when I told them I don't ship internationally but would do so in this case if they spent the extra for Priority. 

I sell almost everything I post on here so I never felt the need to ship internationally, especially when it can cause more issues, ie this situation.

The problem is, I have no idea how much shipping is going to cost. I can do a rough estimate, but I don't even know how much it weighs etc. I'm waiting to hear back from them. If I don't hear back from the end of the day I can send them the Canada post calculator and ask them to send me an estimate so I can send the money for shipping.

Message 25 of 36
latest reply

Also, it was a "Buy It Now" post, so there was no other reason for them to have requested an invoice after they added to their cart, other than they couldn't buy it since international shipping was not set up. I wish I had cancelled it for the reason you mentioned. I just figured the person really wanted it and I was doing something nice. Lesson learned, the hard way.

Message 26 of 36
latest reply

"eBay didn't say that I have to send them shipping money before they ship it out. "

After eBay rules in the buyer's favor, you will be told to send the money for return shipping.

" It also shouldn't cost $30 when it cost me $24 USD to ship via Priority Flat Rate Padded Envelope International, so it should be a little less for return shipping (Canadian dollar is weaker, they don't have to ship via an expensive service unless they want to)."

The buyer can use any shipping service that they want and they can tell you how much money they need.  You have no say in this matter.

Message 27 of 36
latest reply

Understood. eBay can be so cryptic with its wording. It should force me to send shipping cost payment form the beginning then, istead of telling me to "reimburse." And the way this refund process works seems outdated. I'm relying on a buyer who not only ignored my post information but now isn't taking action to respond to me or return the item yet. Do they have a certain amount of time to ship it back before the case gets closed or could this theoretically go on forever?

Also- here is proof my post was only for the US. I don't how know they got around this when their account is linked to Canada. eBay shouldn't have let them make an offer or add it to their cart to begin with but oh well.

Screen Shot 2017-12-02 at 11.46.44 AM.png

Message 28 of 36
latest reply

Go to my eBay, - account. -  site preferences - buyer requirements and check off “block buyers who have a primary shipping address in  a country that I don’t ship to”.  That will prevent  anyone without a US address from buying your listings.  To someone in Canada your listings now say that ‘seller may not ship to Canada, contact seller for shipping options’.

If you block as suggested your listings  will show them  ‘seller will not ship to canada’ and they will not be able to buy or ask for an invoice.   

Message 29 of 36
latest reply

I have sent the buyer 2 emails but have yet to receive a reply or any action. I just got this email from eBay. I'm going to send money to cover the shipping cost via PayPal goods & services (I was holding out on this as I told the buyer it would be best for them to send me proof of shipping cost first so I could then reimburse them the exact amount).

But I don't understand eBay's odd explanation of how to upload a screenshot/proof of the transfer? What is "teammate" etc? Where is this section found on eBay? Layman's terms please... 

Screen Shot 2017-12-04 at 1.55.11 PM.png

Message 30 of 36
latest reply