cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tracking Scam - (a tracked item sent to same city not THE address) enoguh for ebay & paypal

ebay chat room scam

Warning this scam is SO simple yet ebaya nd paypal fail
(it has just happened again - last happend over a year ago)

1) seller sends an item - to the SAME city (no need to post a parcel) and uploads tracking
2) item is not received as was not addressed to the buyer
3) dispute raised by buyer and ebay and paypal close irt as they see 'delivered'
- as they will see it went the the local sorting office and was signed for!!! (they'll try to abandon you here!!!)
YET Royal Mail has a new website addition on royal mail .com has a tracking assistant can confirms its not addressed to the buyers address (it wont tell you where or any details nor will royal mail customter service - the scammer is protected ina bubble of data protection!)

Heres the story

i bought a £2800 lens for £900 on ebay
seller uploaded tracking details on ebay - yet no items received or calling card left (i was in!!)
This was not to my address
(a new website addition on royal mail .com has a tracking assistant that confirms its not addressed to my address BA2 4DP)
ebay item i purchased Lens was 4kg 
seller sent next day by 1pm via royal mail special delivery 
the amount paid i learned form a slip of the tongue by a  telephone agent was £6.25 when an item over 2kg costs £28.60 to post! (so i knew this was a scam (i had it last year as well - identical!!!) as non receipt and no calling card from royal mail)
SCAM is simple
send a letter (no need to send a parcel) to the same city - tracking says delivered - ebay and paypal see it went the the local sorting office - close case and release funds as they see it as 'delivered' 
Royal mail can now confirm its not to my house (paypal don’t look deep or investigate- ie ‘computer says no’)
yet good luck getting paypal to read beyond the 'delivered' screen - case was closed in buyers favour (previosu identical scam incident was closed 2x)
its been 13 months between scams and im sad to see its just as easy to pull off !
Warning make sure you have several hours to spare on several days within week to follow all this through!

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

Re: Tracking Scam - (a tracked item sent to same city not THE address) enoguh for ebay & paypal

This is an old scam that was closed down in the US, seems its alive and well in the UK though. This doesn't help you now, but in the future use your personal credit card when making purchases. Ebay and PayPal are notoriously lax when proof of anything is needed. That ' delivered ' tab, was all they need to see. A simple chargeback on your personal credit card will put an end to that. Proof, as in the actual delivery address, is the acceptance, not that it was delivered somewhere next to you.

Message 2 of 6
latest reply

Re: Tracking Scam - (a tracked item sent to same city not THE address) enoguh for ebay & paypal

Royal mail have helped with being able to see if delivery is to your postcode or not
But the devious deviant scammer is protected by PayPal eBay and the post office by data protection - so you can't find where it did go to or what each of these I stutions is actually doing about it
I paid via PayPal. Via credit card yet you can only lodge a appeal with one and whilst the credit card could help this would have meant the scammer would have gotten away of it as PayPal and eBay would be oblivious - ebay give too much time. And grace to the seller whilst PayPal demand faster response thus sooner resolution but as you say the credit card. Take no nonsense!

Thanks for taking the time to Add to this 🙂
Message 3 of 6
latest reply

@sorry-to-see-it-go wrote:
I paid via PayPal. Via credit card
whilst the credit card could help this would have meant the scammer would have gotten away of it
but as you say the credit card. Take no nonsense!

Normally, even with a credit card chargeback against PayPal, your seller gets away because tracking shows delivered to your city/postal code, and PayPal takes the loss from the chargeback.

But if you provide a Royal document to your credit card issuer to include with the chargeback simply stating, sans privacy details, that the mailpiece was not addressed to you, PayPal might read it, protect itself from the loss, and hold your seller liable instead.

Message 4 of 6
latest reply

I agree
Yet every one should follow these through beyond the refund - to help make it less attractive and tempting for the unscrupulous and make eBay and p2p sites safer
Message 5 of 6
latest reply

In 13 months, this is what you should do, @sorry-to-see-it-go.

Message 6 of 6
latest reply