cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

To All Sellers, BOYCOTT THE AUTOMATED RETURNS! I now offer NO returns, SALES ARE UP!

One month ago I decided to stop offering returns here on eBay. I'm sure every seller on here understands why, eBay does not look out for the sellers and blindly sides with the buyer all the time. I checked the box for "NO RETURNS OFFERED" on all 500 plus items I currently have listed. I know, typical buyers on here will chime in like they are an expert on this topic and I will disregard any comment from any eBay member that has nothing listed for sale here on eBay. Buyers just do not understand the seller side of this problem. As for the sellers that are wondering how to fight back against eBay's unfair returns policy, go ahead do the same, offer no returns. My sales are up about 10% over the last month that I offered returns. I have had a couple buyers contact me about items that could have been possible returns. Without the option to automatically start a return with no communication, returns are down, buyers now must COMMUNICATE with me FIRST. Perfect, that leads to good customer service. I have been able to arrange a solution when needed with these buyers. My feedback is still 100% and should stay that way now that they must communicate with me to arrange a return. I can and will still accept returns or offer a partial refund or some other creative option to resolve an issue after purchase. I could elaborate on this a bit, but I would be here all day writing a novel with all the problems eBay has created with automated returns, free shipping, and other crazy ideas they have implemented recently. I know many sellers have abandoned eBay due to these same reasons, and I am close to doing the same, but offering no returns seems to work for now.

Message 1 of 50
latest reply
49 REPLIES 49

Re: To All Sellers, BOYCOTT THE AUTOMATED RETURNS! I now offer NO returns, SALES ARE UP!

I have had 100% positive feedback for years and yet more and more Ebay feels they must handle every aspect of my business and ALL communication.  It's ridiculous 😞   They sent me an email earlier this year and I opted in to Ebay Managed Payments.  Do NOT use Ebay Managed Pay!  I lost many customers and my cancellations and non-payers increased significantly!  My buyers wanted to use Paypal.  Ebay was forcing them to put in their credit card info.  Since I switched back to Paypal my sales compared to last year are up instead of down.  Now I'm finding they have changed the return policy and are automatically accepting returns for whatever reason.  The glitch on my part is that I can't do the restocking fee.   I offer free shipping and have no way to recoop the "cost of free shipping" on returns.  Somehow as sellers we have to get through to Ebay that we DO NOT accept these new policies.  I'm so frustrated.  I have 69 active listings that will take hours to change each policy.  I'm not sure if it would be better to not offer returns or not offer free shipping.   I'm going to have to change something.  I think if I charge for shipping I can refund all but the shipping.    I don't mind offering refunds but I'm not into losing money because someone changed their mind after paying for an item.  More headaches...

Message 46 of 50
latest reply

Re: To All Sellers, BOYCOTT THE AUTOMATED RETURNS! I now offer NO returns, SALES ARE UP!

@caninekopz

I have my opinion and you have yours.   So life is  good for  both of us.

But I am  not able to comprehend what  this means in the very first line of your post  " ........post you will wee that he ........................." .  I used the underlined word  when I was a youngster and had to go tinkle and it was used to  describe  a little man in the Bible

"I have the right to remain silent but I didn't have the ability." Ron White, Fritch, Texas
"Stay away from negative people, they have a problem for every solution." A. Einstein
The Devil made me do it! - Flip Wilson
If the band can only play loud - they ain't no good - peps too J.R. Johnson
Message 47 of 50
latest reply

We  have always  had a return policy of: 

14 day or now required 30 day returns. Buyer pays for return shipping |  See details

Can't  say we  ever had an issue  with a false return had several buyer's remorse return - where buyer paid for the return and sometimes I would  not refund the original shipping paid.  Never did the free ship thing.

We sell primarily used items but  never over exaggerate the condition, provide close up pics of all issues.  All issues  are shown via  pictures & wording.  Sell fixed price listings 99% of the time I get the price & margin I want.

Right now I sell very  little on eBay - used to sell $800 to 1000/month.  eBay selling just ain't fun any more so time to move on.

"I have the right to remain silent but I didn't have the ability." Ron White, Fritch, Texas
"Stay away from negative people, they have a problem for every solution." A. Einstein
The Devil made me do it! - Flip Wilson
If the band can only play loud - they ain't no good - peps too J.R. Johnson
Message 48 of 50
latest reply

Even though I offer free returns I have had only a few. One guy had buyer remorse and a couple was operator error on my part for shipping the wrong item. I have in my pricing model the return postage costs of 3 items each month. So far this year I have not come anywhere close to that many returns. I sell on average 400 items per month on eBay.

Message 49 of 50
latest reply

just saw your posting and wanted to issue a response as i've had the exact same issues you've had with buyers claiming "not as described" when it really results in a sizing issue.  I've stated for buyers to ask questions before bidding, and ask for measurements if they are needed.  i sell items AS-IS with no returns but in some rare situations just recently, because of ebay's lame "forced returns" on all sellers, it has resulted in my filing an APPEAL.  I won the first appeal i had to submit a few months ago, as buyer didn't read the description or look at pics for what all was included and said they were "worn".  I provide great detail on all listings to try and weed out these issues.  I appealed and ebay provided me a full refund as the buyer somehow sent the shirt lot to an "unknown" address in my town and the package never showed up.  Another one just opened against me was for sizing issues and from a new ebayer, that clearly didn't read any details in the description i provided.  Complaint after complaint, ebay is NOT listening to the good sellers and i've already told them i've pulled back some of my listing activity to list on other websites that won't treat sellers the way they are right now.

This "forced return" requirement on all sellers is going to be catastrophic for many sellers, especially those selling brand new items.  Key here is APPEAL, if it's a sizing issue, and you have proper details in the description, you should win 100% of the appeals you file.  This would result in a full refund of the proceeds back to you, and you keep the item, and have to relist (and sell again!) or do whatever you want with the item.

I have a "sizing issue" complaint out there now and i'm going to definitely appeal and continue calling ebay until the appeal is decided in my favor.  Sellers stay strong and hopefully enough complaints/calls into ebay they will take a step back and wake up.  They have set a major precedent against sellers that buyers will catch onto very, very quickly.

Message 50 of 50
latest reply