cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Super High Shipping by USPS?

After a long break from selling, I have began to sell again. I am floored by cost of shipping, particularly "oversized" packages. What really makes me feel like I am doing something wrong in my calculations is the sellers shipping prices on Ebay being soooo much lower! A quick example is a 12" doll that I want to sell for just $5 to get it a new home. The lowest ground shipping price I calculated was $46.00. I nearly fainted! Yet the average price on Ebay was from free to $9.00. I was so confused I called USPS and got the same estimate. There is nobody in their right mind that will select a shipping price like that for an item they can get free shipping for!!! What am I missing here? I'm rapidly getting depressed! Kathleen 

Message 1 of 12
latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

Re: Super High Shipping by USPS?

size of the box makes a big difference now; Dim weight it is called.

And yes they are making more money off of the shipping than I am of the sale....

Crazy aint it??

Message 2 of 12
latest reply

Oh since you've been gone awhile I should also mention ebay fees ( item price + shipping + tax if any: then the final value is calculated on that total:  + .30. Just in case you did not know.

Message 3 of 12
latest reply

USPS applies the "dimensional weight" to any package that's over 1 cubic foot (1728 cubic inches).  It should be possible to ship a  12-inch doll in a box that's under that threshold.  When setting up the shipping calculator, be sure to enter the dimensions of the actual box you will use for shipping, accurately to the nearest inch.

Also, when shipping via USPS, use Priority Mail, NOT Retail Ground or Parcel Select Ground.

Message 4 of 12
latest reply

@rocket88 wrote:

A quick example is a 12" doll that I want to sell for just $5 to get it a new home. The lowest ground shipping price I calculated was $46.00. 

What am I missing here? I'm rapidly getting depressed! Kathleen 

With the USPS, it is imperative that you get the size of your shipping box under 1 cubic foot (e.g., 16" x 12" x 8") so that you can use scale weight rather than dimensional weight (both Ground and Priority Mail use dimensional weights now).

Also, Priority Mail usually costs just a few pennies more than ground shipping.

Message 5 of 12
latest reply

@nobody*s_perfect wrote:

USPS applies the "dimensional weight" to any package that's over 1 cubic foot (1728 cubic inches).  It should be possible to ship a  12-inch doll in a box that's under that threshold.  When setting up the shipping calculator, be sure to enter the dimensions of the actual box you will use for shipping, accurately to the nearest inch.

It's absolutely possible to ship a 12 inch doll and be under that threshold. You can use up to a 16"x12"x9" box and be within the dimensional weight limit-- I can fit two 10" crane game prize figures into one of those, so a single 12" doll would be no problem.

Message 6 of 12
latest reply

I've started offering FedEx for larger items. USPS is unworkable for East>West Coast shipping.

Message 7 of 12
latest reply

Actually the  USPS dimension rate  for shipments was applied  for shipments to USPS zone 8 - don't  know when that started but at least 5 years ago.  Then  later applied to all shipping zones.   Found out the hard way in about 2016 got  "dinged" in the pocket book when I shipped a light weight item, western/cowboy hat, to CA from GA.  Used the large  Priority mail box (LMB-1) that I ordered on USPS.com that I "assumed" would go at standard Priority rates.  The measurements -  12 x 12 x 15 - the same size  as the short lived Regional Rate C box.  Well surprise, surprise.  Ate the extra costs but didn't make that mistake again.  Still use those LMB-1 boxes but not for shipping purposes.  Lesson Learned - just  hate to lose profit especially when it was my error.

"I have the right to remain silent but I didn't have the ability." Ron White, Fritch, Texas
"Stay away from negative people, they have a problem for every solution." A. Einstein
The Devil made me do it! - Flip Wilson
If the band can only play loud - they ain't no good - peps too J.R. Johnson
Message 8 of 12
latest reply

I just packed a 3 pound box approximately 12x16 and it came up as $46 for GROUND mail!!!! I also was stunned! I am guilty of trying to lure in customers with shared or free shipping, but I guess no more. I will be able to send the package via UPS for $18 --- no brainer! And like you, I checked three shipping sites and all said the same. If I can manage a large flat rate (not sure since decided on UPS) then it would still be a little over $20. Insane.

BUT - my question is -- without first packaging every single item I sell, is there a good way to estimate shipping for my customer? It seems there should be an easier solution... I usually try to just list as I go - especially with mobile selling - but maybe I need to start weighing and measuring every item? UGH! Please tell me there is a better way...

Thank you for commiserating

Message 9 of 12
latest reply

but maybe I need to start weighing and measuring every item? 

That's what I do.  I place the box I will be using on my digital scale and then place the item on top of the box.  I may add a few ounces for bubble wrap. and that is the weight I enter into the listing form.

disneyshopper
Volunteer Community Member

Message 10 of 12
latest reply

Thanks for your post. I joined your club in December 2022 and was pounded on my first sale to TX from NY for an oversize box. No choice on the size. Between the fees and the shipping, I should have just given the item away.  As soon as IRS rules start to bite, ebay is no longer an option for small scale sellers. Glory days are in the past.

Message 11 of 12
latest reply

Hi everyone,

Due to the age of this thread, it has been closed to further replies. Please feel free to start a new thread if you wish to continue to discuss this topic.

Thank you for understanding.

Message 12 of 12
latest reply