cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Some of your shipping labels have adjustments

Yesterday, I  just got my first shipping-adjustment message from eBay (no email, just the message on their website):

Hi MOLLYMARY,
UPS has some cost adjustments on your shipping labels. We attempted to charge or credit your account based on whether you underpaid or overpaid.
Learn more about preventing label cost adjustments

1.  This was for a UPS package that I weighed on my scale, checked that weight by weighing it on another scale, and then went to The UPS store where they weighed the package and then they gave me a Drop-Off Package Receipt  that confirmed weight a fourth time--this time in writing.   The package tracking continued to its destination with no change in the weight information, and got delivered. 

2. Now 7 days after the delivery, i get the silly message from eBay (not an email, just a message):

ITEM DESCRIPTION

Item number: 999999999999
Cost adjustment: $5
IMPB/Tracking: 1ZAC99999999999999
Weight on label: 280.0OZ
Billable weight: 23.0LB
Date printed: Oct 29, 2023
View adjustment [box]

3.  When you click on  "View adjustment"  you get a mass of info about your shipment:

Shipment and cost details

Learn more about shipping overcharges and how to avoid extra fees   Read Article   [ see "Services Added..." in my blurb #5 ]
Tracking number 1ZAC99999999999999
Tracking status Delivered
Order number 99-99999-99999
Buyer ID / Name Betty Boop / Elizabeth Boop
Service UPS® Ground Ship from ST 99999-9999
Ship to ST 99999-9999
Label creation date Oct 30, 2023
Weight 18.02 lbs
Dimensions 20 x 20 x 10 in
Billable weight by carrier 23.00 lbs  

Shipping cost

• Initial label cost
    Paid
    $20.20
  • Cost adjustment
    (charge)
    Paid
    $5.00
  • Total
    $25.20
see cost breakdown [box]
4.  Click on "see cost breakdown" box to now understand what you were charged for:
  • Address correction
    $5.00
  • Postage
    $20.20
  • Total
    $25.20

5.  At the top of 3 you could "review" what shipping and cost details are by pressing "review"--then you would see:

Services added after calculating shipping

You could be charged for services added after calculating shipping like Saturday delivery, address correction (rerouting package), future day pick-up, or on-call pick-up (if the sender does not have an account with UPS or FedEx).

Smart ship tip: Be aware of services that cost extra and double check address details

6. So I now know that they charged me $5.00 for an address correction, that I had nothing to do with, and I guess UPS changed the billing weight to account for the $5.00 charge.

I hope this helps someone!

Message 1 of 19
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Hey @llaramie . Good news - you can contact customer service and they will credit you for address correction fees on UPS/FedEx shipments. Just ask to appeal that cost adjustment.

Use chat (type agent in the chat box) or callback options on the left side of this page:

https://www.ebay.com/help/contact_us?id=4002&st=10

Chat/callback options should appear during biz hours.

Another option to contact CS is sending a DM to them on social media (ebayforbusiness on facebook / ebayforsellers on insta / askebay on twitter/X).

GLORIOUS!

Confused about the switch to eBay discounted shipping? Read this discussion to make an informed decision about opt in / opt out.

View Best Answer in original post

Message 3 of 19
latest reply
18 REPLIES 18

Recently, UPS and FedEx "appear" to have begun a price war.  Especially UPS.
  In that last several months I've noticed MANY UPS prices being a penny or few less than USPS. 
And, far cheaper than FedEx.  (prior to that they were always quite a bit more expensive).
   It seems FedEx has noticed this and while I've not noticed FedEx dropping their rates, they don't seem to have increased them.
   In order to maintain their bottom line, it seems they are now "checking/auditing" packages and upgrading anything they see fit. 
   Paying the most attention to ANYTHING that does not coincide with their packaging regulations. 
Too much Tape.
Odd shaped packages.
Anything not in a perfectly pretty square corner cardboard box.
Addresses being the least bit different than their info.
AND.....From a bit of testing, it sure seems they are targeting any packages that's easy to identify "eBay".
I assume that last one because the shipper is an eBay seller, but the shipper is eBay, and the person being upgraded has NO recourse.   Where-as a direct account shipper can call UPS or FedEx directly and challenge the upgrade. (or just refuse to pay their bill).

Message 2 of 19
latest reply

Hey @llaramie . Good news - you can contact customer service and they will credit you for address correction fees on UPS/FedEx shipments. Just ask to appeal that cost adjustment.

Use chat (type agent in the chat box) or callback options on the left side of this page:

https://www.ebay.com/help/contact_us?id=4002&st=10

Chat/callback options should appear during biz hours.

Another option to contact CS is sending a DM to them on social media (ebayforbusiness on facebook / ebayforsellers on insta / askebay on twitter/X).

GLORIOUS!

Confused about the switch to eBay discounted shipping? Read this discussion to make an informed decision about opt in / opt out.
Message 3 of 19
latest reply

eBay  customer service did do a good-will credit back to my account.  eBay also said that they had started a dispute with UPS about my particular adjustment.

Message 4 of 19
latest reply

EXACTLY:

I have noticed these price change increases on shipping as well & those are the fault of the business practices of parcel entities like UPS & FedEx.

During "covid"; BOTH buyers & sellers were experiencing unjust restrictions & unstable price changes for the whole of 2020.

Parcel carriers & even eBay MADE OUT BIGTIME & sellers LOST OUT BIGTIME.

Buyers CONSTANTLY received smashed parcels (I know from experience of "total loss" in the THOUSANDS of Dollars) yet the excuse was:

"It's because covid".😡

NONSENSE!

I lost revenue, lost product, lost business.

I'm sure alot of us did.

I had NEVER received restitution (despite paying services with wild price fluctuating issues); I just received excuses.

We ALL did.

HOWEVER:

(& an issue either NOT addressed OR swept under the rug & any inquiries eliminated) The shipping OVERAGES & the "buyer paid" vs. "label created" differences is another issue entirely.

The seller doesn't get the difference in total sales amount; eBay KEEPS IT.

Mind you; sellers have ALREADY paid FVF's & taxes on any sale BEFORE this issue arises.

It isn't like we small-time traders & merchants (some with more sales volume than others) on eBay have suffered enough at the greedy hands of big businesses already, right?🤔

This is an overlooked OR purposely ignored & covered-up issue that needs to be entirely addressed in a business ethics manner.

Message 5 of 19
latest reply

I've had this happen multiple times (5-6) the past three months, mostly FedEx but UPS also.  The first time I appealed the cost adjustment, eBay reversed the charge.  Now, eBay is saying after the first appeal, EVERY appeal will automatically get denied.  Bullcrap.  They say I have to call FedEx but FedEx will not help you because eBay sellers bought through an eBay account.  FedEx will say it has to be handled through eBay.  In EVERY instance my dimensions and weight were exactly correct.  I think the problem is eBay is not providing us accurate pricing if such package falls under "dimensional" pricing or "billable" pricing.  Well, that's not our fault.  We purchase labels based on prices given but I think eBay is screwing us with inaccurate pricing.  eBay makes $4000 every month from my eBay business but this is what 15 years of loyalty gets you.  EBay refuses to fix this problem and would rather **bleep** off it's sellers.  

Message 6 of 19
latest reply

This practice has to stop.  I'm being scammed as a seller for these charges.  If I don't get everything properly prepared for each shipment I lose out as seller as I can't go after the buyer after the shipment goes out.  I called eBay customer service today about this.  I suggest you do the same to make your voice heard.  I plan to cut back on my auctions in protest.

Message 7 of 19
latest reply

One more example of eBay not having our back!  eBay will tell you that when you are deciding which shipping option to use, the shipping label costs are just "estimates".......WT F?  eBay has a policy to refund you on your first appeal but that's it.  I've had a dozen of these so far with my package weight and dimension being spot on.  If you call UPS or FedEx direct, they won't help you because the labels were purchased with an account owned by eBay so in their eyes, they sold the label to eBay and not the eBay seller.  They won't help you.  This is total fraud and wouldn't be surprised if one day there is a class action lawsuit.

Message 8 of 19
latest reply

These adjustments are a scam

I just received 2 more - 

Shipping paid on ebay $11.65

Adjustment $9.18

New total - $20.83

SCAM - I went on the fedex site and put the same weight, size, address in and the price is $16.72 NOT $20.83

Shipping paid on ebay $18.76

Adjustment $11.10

New total - $29.86

SCAM -  I went on the fedex site and put the same weight, size, address in and the price is  $18.53 NOT $29.86

EBAY NEEDS TO FIX THIS RIP-OFF

Message 9 of 19
latest reply

This is the ONE example of a racket allowed to happen by Ebay where a Class Action is not only justified, but almost a certainty to be won. And, I would be willing to bet that Ebay would never let "discovery" happen and they would settle before getting to that....they would not want people to see their "agreements" with FedEx/UPS....

Message 10 of 19
latest reply

I'm so glad I found this thread! This just happened to me this morning for the first time. I shipped 22x18x9 box that weighed about 15 lbs. from PA to NJ. I even overestimated the weight and put 20 lbs on it to be safe, because the cost was the same. The cost of the label was $19.36, which seemed in line with previous shipments to me.

Today I received an "adjustment" notification that, not only did FedEx suddenly decide the package was 22 lbs. (which is ridiculous, since it wasn't even 20), but now I apparently owe them $12.01 more....for a total of $31.37 to send a package from PA to NJ. 

Oddly, there is also a note on the overpayment screen that "The carrier has reported that the weight of your package was 11.50 lbs." Which obviously makes no sense...

I checked the eBay shipping calculator, and sure enough, even at 22 lbs. with the same dimensions, the estimate is $19.36...same as I paid originally. 

How is this not a scam? FedEx can claim whatever they want and we just have to pay up. I was really discouraged to read upthread about the person who had the weight confirmed by FedEx...and it didn't even matter.

Message 11 of 19
latest reply

You just described my situation this morning perfectly. I just received 4 cost adjustments and some are near double the original estimate. When compared with the FedEx system, all final dimensions and weights are correct and what I entered. This has happened in the past and I never questioned. I figured I had made a mistake, but this has gotten extreme.  

Message 12 of 19
latest reply

Hello- I would contact Ebay and tell them. This is either an Ebay or Fed X issue with many sellers. I will warn you the wait time is now 30 minutes to talk to them because of these issues. This is just horrible they did this to so many ebay sellers. HORRIBLE!!!

Message 13 of 19
latest reply

I have it even worse,  I got charged basically double shipping on two Fed Ex packages, because my packages were slightly LIGHTER than what the label said! 

Case 1 - 

• Weight: 6.00 lbs
  • The carrier has reported that the weight of your package was 5.30 lbs.
  • Billable weight by carrier - 6.00 lbs

Shipping cost

• Initial label cost - Paid - $12.84
  • Cost adjustment (charge) - Paid - 11.04
  • Total - $23.88

Case 2 - 

• Weight - 15.00 lbs
  • The carrier has reported that the weight of your package was 13.90 lbs.
  • Billable weight by carrier - 55.00 lbs

Shipping cost

• Initial label cost - Paid - $54.49
  • Cost adjustment (charge) - Paid - $55.56
  • Total - $110.05

$55 extra charge for being 1.1 lbs lighter! 

Note that Ebay's tips for sellers tell you to always round up on partial measurements! 

Message 14 of 19
latest reply

Please call ebay and dispute the charges

I did that this morning - will see if they do anything 

It is totally outrageous they want twice the amount

Also go on the Fedex website and enter the same size, weight and address and see what the charge is

I bet its not what they are charging you - total rip off

Message 15 of 19
latest reply