cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Smart Post

I would just like to say to sellers that as a buyer, Smart Post is stupid choice. I don't know how much you save on shipping but you run the risk of negative feedback using this option. Packages that would normally take 3-4 days take a week. I'm currently waiting on an item that came from CA. going here to KY.  It was to arrive yesterday, 7/17. It is not estimated to arrive 7/24. It was paid for on 7/11. This is not my first experience with S/P but I hope it's my last. Every other time was just as bad. For instance, the package arrived in IL yesterday, KY, this morning, and is now in IN this evening, where it will be handed off to USPS. Before that it took a day to get through every state in-between.  This is not the sellers fault- unless they used S/P before. The only thing the buyer knows is his item is not arriving on time and it is by far the slooowest method of shipping. I contacted the seller (nameless) who didn't even have the courtesy of replying. It's one thing when you know in advance it will be a week before you see your purchase but another when you find out it's coming S/P after paying. Save yourselves and your buyers this hassle. Don't use Smart Post.

Thank you

Message 1 of 16
latest reply
15 REPLIES 15

Re: Smart Post

I occasionally offer it on larger, more durable items. I've found it can be around 1/3 the price of Priority and similar services...

But I always offer it as a choice along with Priority, FedEx and UPS methods. This way the buyer can pick between a cheaper, slower option and a faster, more expensive one.

Message 2 of 16
latest reply

Since I'm rarely in a hurry to get my item, it doesn't bother me at all if I have to wait a few extra days.

Message 3 of 16
latest reply

If this was a reply it would take ten seconds. With the amount of money and time and the garbage I have received in shipping of perishable flower items, guess?. Do you have the time to read this? In my little collection of flower items that have gone afoul doing business with one company and with promises and excuses, I have 177 exotic bulbs with a 17 to 25 day for sure delivery date. Not one of those items showed up before 38 days. I already knew who sent it by the smell. And the request for pictures to prove that they were sold from them. OH YES WE MUST INVESTIGATE. What they were saying is, we will wait till you forget you bought them from us. Now where did you think that 177 rotten bulb count come from. It came from yellow pieces of paper with 28 lines and backed by 41 pages of purchase's. at the cost of 8136.36 American, And almost 600 purchases.
Being "EDGEJUMACATED" Being the way you spell it, I must be DUMM?
Message 4 of 16
latest reply

I have shipped a few packages where Smartpost cost $20 while usps parcel select was $55 (and Priority was $95).  As a buyer would you rather wait a few extra days and save $35? $75?

i offer several choices to my buyers and everyone where I offered Smartpost would rather wait a few days and save the most money.

The Race is over
The Rats won.
Message 5 of 16
latest reply

Thanks for the replies. Saving 50% on shipping is a big deal. I didn't realize it was that big a difference. Don't get me wrong, I have waited a month on some things shipped from China, but I knew that going in. It was not mentioned the package was going by S/P and an expected delivery date of 4 days post purchase led me to believe this was normal shipping. I guess I'm saying make sure your buyer is aware of the extended shipping time. Also, this was a small package, about 1lb. how can it be cheaper to ship and handle that across country in the back of a truck vs putting it on a plane? Plus it has to be handed off to USPS at the end, so your dealing w/2 carriers. With all the extra handling and two companies involved, how do they make it cheaper?

Anyway, thanks for your inputs

Message 6 of 16
latest reply

At the retail rate it’s cheaper to send packages under 13 ounces USPS First Class Package. Through eBay you can get discount bulk rates and ship FCP up to 15.99oz.

However several companies I purchase from do use SmartPost and UPS Mail Innovations for packages that weigh only a few ounces. The bulk rate for FCP weighing 4oz is $2.61. I can’t imagine the bulk rates for SmartPost and Mail Innovations could be significantly cheaper to make the extra transit time worth it.

Both buying and selling, I find FCP orders regularly make it coast to coast in 3 days. With UPS Mail Innovations shipments however, it’s not uncommon for the transfer from UPS to my local USPS sort facility alone to take 2-3 days.

So as a buyer, I have no problem waiting a few extra days if it means saving $30 or more on shipping for a larger item. But a few extra days to save pennies on smaller packages doesn’t seem as worth it to me.

Message 7 of 16
latest reply

Shipping was free for me, so I understand the seller wanting to maximize his gain. I don't get impression this seller is a volume seller and this was a piece of computer equipment from his PC, so we're probably talking a buck or two savings on the shipping? Again it would have been nice to know at the outset it was coming S/P. I believe that he chose this option after the sale because the original promised delivery time in the listing was much shorter than the actual. I paid immediately, if someone is about to mention that.
Message 8 of 16
latest reply

SmartPost is fine, until you have a problem. Then neither shipper takes the blame and tosses it to the other

Message 9 of 16
latest reply

Huh?

Message 10 of 16
latest reply

@bobbleheadlaw wrote:

I would just like to say to sellers that as a buyer, Smart Post is stupid choice. I don't know how much you save on shipping but you run the risk of negative feedback using this option....

I give EVERY buyer a choice for quicker shipping (typically less then 5 days) or slower shipping (typically more then 5 days), 99% of buyers CHOOSE the slower shipping. Leaving negative feedback for the choices you make on life is not a good way to make friends on eBay (and sellers look, trust me). Add to that buyers are TOLD UP FRONT when to expect their item, it doesn't look to good for you. Even stating that here probably got you put on a number of seller's BBL's.

Message 11 of 16
latest reply

I was NOT given a choice and the seller changed the shipping method after purchase. You didn't fully read my original post or my subsequent posts. If there are buyers who don't want my money, I don't want their product. Put me at the head of the list!
Message 12 of 16
latest reply

I ship all of my items that weigh over 1lb by SmartPost and I've never seen one take more than 10 calendar days to arrive at it's destination.   And I'm on the west coast and 80% of my sales are to east coast buyers!

I do give buyers the option to contact me *prior* to the sale and request faster shipping, but I can count on the fingers of one hand the number of times they have actually done so.  I can also count on the fingers of the other hand the number of times I've been asked why the items hasn't arrived.

Member of the Grumpy Old Man crew
Message 13 of 16
latest reply

OK, this is my last post. I would not have a complaint on this particular purchase if I knew up front it was S/P. As I have said I have ordered items from China, that took a month, and had no problem with that, because, I knew up front. Would I have not made the purchase in question if I had known? No, would have bought it anyway. That doesn't mean as a buyer that I like it, or that in this day and age, understand why it should take that long for a shipment to anywhere within the continental us and how the extended shipping time and handling adds up to a savings. I'm merely stating that I hate that option and that sellers should make it clear, that is the method of shipment, and it be reflected in the item listing. Again, the shipping method was changed after I purchased and paid for it. I believe that last point gives me an excuse to not be happy with the shipping time of the item, and the sellers decision to do that.
Message 14 of 16
latest reply

@bobbleheadlaw wrote:
I was NOT given a choice and the seller changed the shipping method after purchase. You didn't fully read my original post or my subsequent posts. If there are buyers who don't want my money, I don't want their product. Put me at the head of the list!

Sellers can't (or shouldn't) change shipping method that is stated (unless its an upgrade). It's been posted a number of times here that is grounds for a shipping SNAD claim through PayPal and a buyer can get a refund on shipping. With that being said, a smart seller would never disclose the shipping method, just to avoid such issues. I list economy or standard and the buyer chooses. I pick the shipper from the list and off it goes (typically within minutes). I'm sure you been added to the "head of the list" per your request.

Message 15 of 16
latest reply