cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Signature confirmation for Return shipping

I need to return an expensive item (near $2000) to Seller using eBay Return Case. The reason - the seller sent me a used item instead of brand new. As I know, the signature confirmation is must for expensive items (>$750).
I never had such a situation before and would like to ask:
1. Has the Shipping label, automatically generated by eBay "Signature Confirmation" included already or is it an additional service which I should pay from my side?
2. Can eBay Return Case be opened for exchange or it can be used for refunds only?
Thank you all for any help!

Message 1 of 16
latest reply
15 REPLIES 15

Given the eBay policy about signature confirmation I would be interested in knowing the answer to the first question as well. I would imagine that when you take the item to the post office and they scan the label they can tell you the answer to that. If it does not I would suggest you pay or add it to the shipment if that is possible and inform eBay of the glitch in their creation of the return label. 

As for the second question I would just focus on the refund. The seller could probably offer you a replacement or an exchange. If they sent you a used one and not a new one the first time do you want to take the chance they won't do the same thing  again?  You may want to look at their feedback and see if they are somebody you want to do business with in the future. 

Message 2 of 16
latest reply

The Return Label generated by EBAY only has the normal tracking on it.  Once the item shows up delivered, the Seller is required to act on the refund with a certain time period.  NOTE: If the package gets mis-directed, lost or tracking not updated to show it has been returned to the Seller, your loss.  Before ACTUALLY using the Return Label sent, I WOULD CHECK with the USPS 1.) To confirm if Signature Tracking can be added to that label, And 2.) If additional insurance can be added to cover the item.  IF NOT, I would pay for a New Label 

Shipping Label, and upload that tracking number to EBAY for the return shipment -VS taking a chance on being

out $2,000 if something happened to the package in shipment.

Message 3 of 16
latest reply

Makes you wonder, since it's eBay's policy regarding signature delivery, why that is not a standard feature on the eBay generated return shipping labels. May something eBay should fix. 

Message 4 of 16
latest reply

The seller provided me with UPS shipping label. UPS labed does not have any information printed on it so I took the this UPS label directly to UPS Store and asked if the shipping service includes signature confirmation and insurance.
This UPS shipping label has a valid UPS Tracking Number and my (as a sender) mail address on it, so I thought I would not have any problem getting such information.

But the UPS officer refused to give me any additional information for the reason - I was told he (UPS officer) cannot access such information. Sounds like nonsense to me...

Message 5 of 16
latest reply

Always use the shipping label that eBay provides. If the package gets delivered seller refunds. If the package gets lost eBay pays for it. If the package gets lost it is not your problem, just make sure the carrier scans it when you drop it off. 

Message 6 of 16
latest reply

Maybe a good idea would be to have a chat with ebay customer service. Let them tell you how to proceed... I specifically say chat because that way you will have a copy of the chat transcript to prove what they told you if something goes wrong.

Message 7 of 16
latest reply

Thank you for your reply. It is a great idea, but I'm unable to find Live Chat on US eBay site. May someone can point me to right way how to find it ?

Message 8 of 16
latest reply

..."If the package gets lost eBay pays for it"It would be great. Did you see such information on official eBay Help to be sure it is really true?
I would be happy to go a legal way and not worry about missing package during return delivery.

Message 9 of 16
latest reply

Bottom of page >>help and contact>>contact us>>shipping & returns>>return an item for a refund>>chat with automated assistant...

During your chat you'll be given choices>>choose chat with live CSR

Message 10 of 16
latest reply

@omcstart wrote:

..."If the package gets lost eBay pays for it"It would be great. Did you see such information on official eBay Help to be sure it is really true?
I would be happy to go a legal way and not worry about missing package during return delivery.

It's been stated by blues multiple times that the one who supplies the return label is the responsible party for the package. If it's an Ebay supplied label, Ebay would be responsible. I don't have any of those threads bookkmarked. Let's get some official confirmation.

brian@ebay 

tyler@ebay 

Is the party who supplies the return label responsible for the shipment? For an Ebay provided return label, that would make Ebay the responsible party in terms of loss, damage, etc? If something happened to the return shipment, the buyer would still be refunded, correct?

The easier you are to offend the easier you are to control.

We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did. - Thomas Sowell
Message 11 of 16
latest reply

@dbfolks166mt wrote:

Makes you wonder, since it's eBay's policy regarding signature delivery, why that is not a standard feature on the eBay generated return shipping labels. May something eBay should fix. 

eBay already issues a USPS Return Service label automatically with Signature Confirmation when it's required.

0g87dsdgsdishnhgdhgf8hgd.jpg

However here, OP's seller chose to upload their own UPS label. The buyer is not responsible, regardless if it skirts the signature confirmation requirement or not.

Message 12 of 16
latest reply

@southern*sweet*tea wrote:

@omcstart wrote:

It's been stated by blues multiple times that the one who supplies the return label is the responsible party for the package. If it's an Ebay supplied label, Ebay would be responsible. I don't have any of those threads bookkmarked. Let's get some official confirmation.

brian@ebay 

tyler@ebay 

Is the party who supplies the return label responsible for the shipment? For an Ebay provided return label, that would make Ebay the responsible party in terms of loss, damage, etc? If something happened to the return shipment, the buyer would still be refunded, correct?

@southern*sweet*teathat's right. Whoever physically pays for the return label is responsible for making sure the item arrives at its destination. Being responsible for the return shipment includes:

• Responsibility for paying the costs of return shipping
  • Accountability for any issues, like the returned item becoming lost in transit
Brian,
Community Team
Message 13 of 16
latest reply

brian@ebay  Thank you!

The easier you are to offend the easier you are to control.

We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did. - Thomas Sowell
Message 14 of 16
latest reply

Good to know

Message 15 of 16
latest reply