cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Shipsaver - Not Recommended but who is?

For anyone looking for a cheaper insurance out there for their boxes, I cannot recommend Shipsaver.   I have spent a lot of money with them  - but their service is lacking and their underwriters - non-existent.   IF - you ship multiple listings items in one box (customer bought a vase and a bowling ball)- do not expect the box to be properly covered.  They only use the first item on the list to insure.   Be sure to check!    IF you have to use multiple boxes to ship one item (such as a set of dishes) each box will be insured for the full amount - or they won't be covered.   Be sure to check!   If only partial items are damaged in shipping - you will be ok if the cost is cheap.   Basically, unless the damage is less than what that they can get back by filing with USPS or whichever carrier you have.. you will either be put through tons of hoops or not get a refund at all.  But, if they all get damaged - your customer will be asked not only to file an affidavit that it was damaged, submit photos and surrender the items -  but they will also have to submit a letter from a 3rd disinterested party that it was all broken.    I have asked them where such a letter can be obtained here in the states - let alone in Japan where my last item was sent and have yet to get an answer --- that was months ago.  The claim is still pending.    All correspondence with both Shipsaver and the Underwriters is via email that takes days to get an answer, and the person on the other end gives you rote answers for the first 2 days.   Shipsaver doesn't handle your claim - the underwriters do -  and shipsaver washes their hands of it immediately.  The underwriters, whoever they are, only respond in the claim  - if at all.    Don't waste your money here.     Has anyone found an insurance that works for them?  USPS is pricey but reliable so I only use it for expensive items but I would like an insurance for those $100-$250 items I am now self insuring.  

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

Re: Shipsaver - Not Recommended but who is?

A bowling ball and vase in one box. Seriously, or are you only being extreme?

KrazzyKats
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 2 of 7
latest reply

I have used Shipsaver for years without any problems.  However, I don't combine shipping on fragile items either.

Message 3 of 7
latest reply

I’ve been convinced - for quite some time - that self insurance is the way to go.  Maybe not for one super expensive item, but if you sell enough, and your items are all at an amount that won’t break the bank of you have to refund, it seems like insurance is a waste of money.

Message 4 of 7
latest reply

I've had great luck with them though I never ship multiple items in one box. I have had a few claims pop up and they have paid promptly. Much cheaper than insuring with USPS, FedEx, or UPS.

Message 5 of 7
latest reply

Zombie thread, please lock

I have been imported from Australia and this is my posting ID
Message 6 of 7
latest reply

Hi everyone,

Due to the age of this thread, it has been closed to further replies. Please feel free to start a new thread HERE if you wish to continue to discuss this topic.

Thank you for understanding.

Message 7 of 7
latest reply