cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Shipping

I've read numerous complaints from potential buyers that shipping costs are twice or three times what they

should be.  Granted, shipping costs have gone way up, but eBay sellers are not aware that when they don't

set the shipping cost themselves, eBay will escalate the shipping cost and sellers have no clue (unless they

check) what eBay has fraudulently inserted in the listing as the shipping cost.  eBay gets a percentage of

the shipping charge, so it's not hard to see why eBay does this.  Buyers should email the seller and ask for their shipping charge for the item in their zip code.  

Message 1 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

Re: Shipping

Get ready for a lot of comments.

Message 2 of 8
latest reply

eBay shows potential buyers the shipping costs based upon the size/weight/method in your listing.

eBay is escalating nothing.

What may be causing confusion for you is that what you are comparing as "excessive" are the "retail rates" charged by the carrier vs the discounted "online rates" that a seller would pay for the shipping.

You have the "option" to pass those rates on to the buyer, and if you fail to do that, then the buyer is shown, "by your preferences", the "retail rate".

the misconception  is known as PBCAK

Message 3 of 8
latest reply

If an item has free shipping, I have the shipping cost figured into the price of the item that the buyer pays.

If I use calculated shipping, the buyer pays my exact cost for the shipping. There are never any deviations in the pricing. I break even on shipping other the the FVF ebay assesses on the shipping and that is actually figured into the price of the item. 

I make my exact intended margin on every item.  

EBay shipping costs are the same as Pirate Ship. Lowest available. 

Are you passing the savings onto your buyers?

There is an option in shipping to pass on those savings.

Posting ID
Message 4 of 8
latest reply

100% not true on most statements you have supplied.

eBay does not inflate shipping costs. 

eBay is not "frequently" inserting shipping costs.

When a buyer messages that shipping is too high, they are ripe for being added to the BBL from many sellers.

Buyers who complain about shipping costs can be perceived to be potential issues for sellers.

Buyers tend to think shipping is "free" and when they never ship anything themselves have zero idea about the real cost to ship.

klhmdg  •  Volunteer Community Mentor
Message 5 of 8
latest reply

a seller that does not know what shipping costs are being shown to potential buyers is not paying attention to business.

Message 6 of 8
latest reply

I just know that when I buy an item and the shipping seems high, I ask the seller for the cost of shipping to my zip code.  It’s always lower than what’s listed.  A few days ago buyer commented that they had no idea where eBay was coming up with their shipping g costs.  Therefore I respectfully disagree with your comment.

Message 7 of 8
latest reply

That's some pretty slim evidence. Don't blame the eBay shipping calculator if you're not sure why the postage shown in the listing is higher than what the seller replies.   Sellers sometimes set a flat price for shipping based on the cost of shipping to the farthest buyers, then will give a discount to closer buyers if they ask for it.  Or they might have set up calculated shipping, but the shipping calculator defaults to show the retail price for postage rather than the discounted online price so another possibility is that the seller has decided to share some of that discount with you.

Message 8 of 8
latest reply