cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Shipping to United States territories is international?

Why does eBay classify United States territories (Puerto Rico, Guam, the US Virgin Islands, American Samoa, or CNMI) as "international" for shipping purposes, when in fact USPS domestic shipping rates apply?

Are the international fees that eBay collects on such sales more important to eBay than what's right for its sellers?

I have all of my listings set to offer free shipping for domestic US sales, but shipping at buyer's expense for international destinations.  Buyers in US territories are able to select the "free shipping" option - which as DOMESTIC buyers they should be able to do.  

However, because eBay classifies these locations erroneously as "international," I am not able to print domestic eBay Standard Envelope or USPS First-Class labels.  As a result, I am not able to take advantage of discounted USPS rates through eBay labels, which would include tracking and, in the case of Standard Envelope, insurance up to $20!  I am forced instead to ship directly with USPS at a much higher cost - for example, nearly $5 if I want tracking compared with just .53c if Standard Envelope would have been available!  And without the extra benefit of insurance.

Bringing this to eBay's attention is worthless, as I was simply advised to go to USPS and "see if they will mail your item at domestic rates."  Really?  Of course they will - because IT IS DOMESTIC!

Until this gets resolved - IF this gets resolved - I am blocking all shipping to US territories.  I hate to do it, but the difference in shipping costs leaves me with no reasonable alternative.

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

I should add, if these were international destinations, customs forms would be required.  They are not.

Message 2 of 7
latest reply

Yes, those should be considered domestic shipping. Be sure to format their address so their 2-letter "state" abbreviation is in the space for "state," not "country."

Message 3 of 7
latest reply

Tried that yesterday - added VI as the state postal abbreviation - no luck.  The address has a “country” code (in this case, VIR) already selected and not changeable.

Message 4 of 7
latest reply

I think it all depends on how the buyer sets up their address when they register.  PR is listed under both state and country and USVI probably is, too.

The easier you are to offend the easier you are to control.

We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did. - Thomas Sowell
Message 5 of 7
latest reply

We use PirateShip for labels to American Samoa. Big discount off USPS. If you're shipping anything of value and in particular laptops or iPads, be sure to check Signature Required and read up on their 3rd party alter ego Ship Assurance. If you don't exactly follow their rules, they will invalidate your claim. That's the worst thing about them. OTW, we have had good luck.

Message 6 of 7
latest reply

I've shipped domestic to PR, no problem mostly. What happens sometimes is that the buyer puts PR as their Country not their State, then I can't ship to them unless they change it. I have had to cancel several sales due to this. Not a huge deal, had a shipment to Miami that I could not print postage for, eventually I went to the USPS site and set up their address in that, got a message that their location was "not eligible for USPS services" had to cancel that one too.

Message 7 of 7
latest reply