cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Shipping to Hawaii

I recently sold 2 bikes from the Midwest USA, one to Texas and one to Hawaii.  The Texax one cost $118 and the Hawaii one cost close to $900, same size box and weight, in fact the hawaii one was 5 lbs lighter.  FadEX and UPS were basically the same, and USPS would not insurr for the actual value.  That is not reasonable.  I will be forced to exclude Hawaii from all further sales, not because I don't want to, but because USPS, FEDEX and UPS make it prohibitive cost wise.  Seems strange that the same bike can come from Chine to  the Continental US for $60.  What is the deal?

Message 1 of 3
latest reply
2 REPLIES 2

Re: Shipping to Hawaii

You have to sell to Hawaii and Alaska with care whether offering free shipping or not. Anything over one pound can  be very expensive if you can't do that flat rate boxes.

You need to have your shipping details accurate - dimensions are much more important than weight, though weight is a factor as well. Both have very high costs to fly freight in. In the case of the bike to Hawaii you might be better off looking for a freightline that boats stuff in if you are paying freight. Otherwise, just don't offer free shipping to Hawaii or Alaska as it does not make a lot of sense on anything more than a pound and with the new first class zone rates, may not make sense for zone shipping either.

I am assuming you are paying freight charges and the buyer is probably tickled pink. If I were in your shoes - I would contact the buyer and try to get out of the deal - I might even pay them to get me out of the deal.....If not, at that amount, I might take the hit on my seller level with eBay canceling the transaction just to avoid that kind of cost.

Cheers

Message 2 of 3
latest reply

Re: Shipping to Hawaii

they paid, you ship. 

Message 3 of 3
latest reply