cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Shipping quotes in auctions not matching the shipping at checkout

Hey, I'm really perplexed about the shipping rates?  When someone looks at an auction, it gives what is basically the 'retail' shipping cost, then charges me the 'discounted' rate when I buy the shipping label.  Sometimes this is only a few percent, but for UPS especially, it can be a lot.  When I used the invoice system to calculate a shipping cost for a package, it quoted my cost as about $80, cheerfully offering I was getting a 66% discount.  When someone from the same country selects that item and check shipping costs from the auction screen, they get the full $240 quote.  To a lesser degree, I'm seeing that in domestic sales, especially with UPS but also USPS.  Don't ask me about Fedex, I won't ship Fedex.  Ever.  There's a lot of people who would consider $80 that would walk away from $240.  I'm not trying to fleece people for shipping and it hurts sales.  Anyone else seeing this?

Message 1 of 5
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

@zaubermac  ... You can control this by updating your shipping preferences for USPS & UPS (even Fedex) if you like.

https://www.ebay.com/ship/prf

Choose edit "Offer carrier-specific discounts for buyers" and you can offer all, part or none of the eBay shipping discounts to your buyers.

View Best Answer in original post

Message 2 of 5
latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

@zaubermac  ... You can control this by updating your shipping preferences for USPS & UPS (even Fedex) if you like.

https://www.ebay.com/ship/prf

Choose edit "Offer carrier-specific discounts for buyers" and you can offer all, part or none of the eBay shipping discounts to your buyers.

Message 2 of 5
latest reply

@whitewaterford 

Ok, I did that, but it didn't change the shipping price offered?

Is it a preference that the auction hard codes when created?  Will I need to relist the items to get the change?

I thought it might be a browser cache issue, so I used a different browser, same deal.

Message 3 of 5
latest reply

Ok, answered my own question.  After I relisted the item, the new shipping prefs took effect.  So solution is correct, but did not apply retroactively.

Message 4 of 5
latest reply

CAREFUL !!!!!

eBay takes 12 1/2% or so off of the shipping collected. So if you charge your buyer what the post office is charging you you are losing money.

Secondly the spread of $80 versus $240 is way out of whack. Something is seriously wrong with something you are doing.

Message 5 of 5
latest reply