cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Shipping prices

Why are some sellers jacking up shipping prices so high ??? There's no way it costs $100 + to ship a 10 lb item !!!! This shouldn't be allowed !! I know there's a handling fee sometimes but some of these shipping prices are ridiculous !

Message 1 of 28
latest reply
27 REPLIES 27

Re: Shipping prices

And how does one explain "free shipping"....everything a seller ships cost money.

I have no problem what a seller charges for shipping.

If a buyer doesn't like the shipping charge the buyer can always go to another seller to make a purchase.

Message 16 of 28
latest reply

Back when eBay did not charge fees on selling it saved sellers money by shifting the cost of the item into the shipping.  Also, back then sellers only have to refund the item's price and not it's shipping. So an item that sold for 10 cents and 100 dollars shipping, the seller only had to refund the 10 cents.

However, eBay soon got wise to that and changed the rules so none of that works today.  It does make the item look cheaper and come up sooner in a search lowest price first search.

Message 17 of 28
latest reply

You know exactly what we're talking about.

Message 18 of 28
latest reply

WOW You're part of the problem !!!!!

Message 19 of 28
latest reply

@mikekardo wrote:

Why are some sellers jacking up shipping prices so high ??? There's no way it costs $100 + to ship a 10 lb item !!!!

Sure it can, depending on the size of the box. I shipped a large plush toy to a friend... it only weighed around 4-5 lbs in total, but the shipping was a little over $50 because the box it required was so large.

Message 20 of 28
latest reply

In my experience, if you comp similar sales of an item (that can be equally compared) the average final sell price (with shipping) ends up being close to the same.  With some exceptions

Personally i am not a fan of listings with over valued shipping charges but i also do not think they are doing anything wrong. Its their time so they can inflate or deflate the shipping.  There is no false or misleading advertising if they are posting what they are charging the buyer. 

Message 21 of 28
latest reply

As you are no doubt aware, sellers are allowed to set their shipping charge at any level they want.

When/if a buyer sees a shipping fee that seems ridiculous, all he needs to do is hit the back button and find another item/seller.

BTW, people responding here are allowed to disagree with you or to try to explain.  You don't really have a reason to accuse them of being part of the problem.  

These Boards are for open discussion.  No one needs your permission to post here.  And no one should be called names because they disagree with you.  

Message 22 of 28
latest reply

@mikekardo wrote:

Yeah right !! No one else **bleep** about it. There's no way it costs what some clowns are asking is my point !!!!

If all sellers just pass through costs, wouldn’t that destroy any profit?  Why would anyone sell here?  Mark up the item that you sell or mark up the shopping - doesn’t make a difference.

Message 23 of 28
latest reply

@mikekardo wrote:

But yet they're doing it and getting away with it is my point .

They aren’t getting away with anything.  Seller presents a deal, buyers review, then decide whether or not to purchase.  Am I missing something?

Message 24 of 28
latest reply

The point here from most of us is that any buyer who feels that any shipping cost is too high is free to hit that back button and look for an item/seller where the shipping cost is more agreeable to him.  

Message 25 of 28
latest reply

Oops  you can't just search by price anymore, now it's price+shipping.  So that too no longer works.

Message 26 of 28
latest reply

@mikekardo 

It is not eBay's job to set shipping costs.

If a buyer overpays for shipping ..............  they are the problem. No one forces a buyer to pay any more than what is shown in the listing.

Message 27 of 28
latest reply

I don’t care what sellers charge for shipping. If the total (item price + shipping) suits me, I buy the item. If it doesn’t, I look for another listing.

I suggest you do the same.

Message 28 of 28
latest reply