cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Shipping and Damaged items

Has anyone successfully won a claim on insurance. I've been selling on multiple platforms for about three years. I've had a few damaged items in which I returned the buyers money. I've tried to collect on insurance boasted by eBay, but always told it wasn't packaged correctly. It is simple a false sense of security and never pay? I can't video 8-12 orders a day to keep just in case an item is damaged in shipping. Are there any other options?

Message 1 of 5
latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

I have had some success with insurance claims but i have only had a couple that arrived damaged over a few thousand transactions. When i do sell glass, plates or similar items that can be easily broken, i do try to double box the items and make sure they have proper packing materials inside. Typically I use Priority Mail shipping which also includes $100 insurance that you do not have to pay extra for. If the item is double boxed and includes proper packaging materials inside the box, you most likely will not need the insurance anyways. A lot of my Ebay friends have little success with Insurance claims as well.

Of course the price of the item sold depends on how much you want to invest in shipping supplies.

Good luck

Message 2 of 5
latest reply

I just looked at your items and the first sold one I saw was 89 pieces of ironstone.  That made me break out in hives.   You must know how to pack to be selling what you are selling, so I won't even comment on that.   I hadn't many damage claims until last fall when I had two.  Both were denied due to my buyer not taking them to their post office along with the packaging.   That's a hard ask of buyers, so I doubt I'll even try any more damage claims---hopefully I won't need to.   My items weren't even high dollar, so this requirement seems to be new and more stringent than in the past.

Message 3 of 5
latest reply

Packaged correctly is generally meant to be "double boxing". No amount of bubble or popcorn is accepted as a substitute by most carrier's insurance.

That set of ironstone, would need multiple boxes within outer boxes.

If you want to collect the insurance, your packaging must be "bullet proof". If you packaging is "bullet proof" you will not need to collect the insurance. This is why sellers who "bullet proof" self insure, and sellers who do not effectively self insure.

I cannot remember what decade it was when I last paid for insurance.

I am sure some seller will post their success story in a claim. There are always some outliers, who are lucky and hit the right adjuster at the right time.

Message 4 of 5
latest reply

@fern*wood wrote:

I just looked at your items and the first sold one I saw was 89 pieces of ironstone.  That made me break out in hives.  

Now that was funny. 😂

Message 5 of 5
latest reply