cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Shipping Charge Higher than What I Post

A 2-lb Ground Advantage package to my zip with handling should total $7.20. I just noticed the shipping on my listing shows as $8.08. In my shipping profile I have the box checked for eBay shipping prices and package dimensions are the same as the off-site service I use. I double checked on a different off-site service and the price is the same as the one I use. It used to always work out exactly the same in the listing.  (This is not the retail counter price which of course is even higher than the 8.08.) How do I correct this? I must be doing something wrong.

Happy New Year!

Hoops!

Message 1 of 15
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Re: Shipping Charge Higher than What I Post

@hoopsandyoyo wrote:

I did not realize the off-site places were lower than eBay's shipping cost.

It's a mixed bag right now @hoopsandyoyo where some Ground rates are lower elsewhere, while some Priority rates are lowest on eBay. In your shoes I would not make any changes right now. Within the next few weeks the annual USPS price changes will go into effect and we don't know what's going to happen with discounts over and above the published USPS commercial rates - whether eBay, pirate, stamps, etc will have additional discounts and if they'll be the same or competing as they are now.

If you do make changes, then as nobodys-perfect suggested, do not mess with the package weight. Adjust your handling fee instead.

GLORIOUS!

Confused about the switch to eBay discounted shipping? Read this discussion to make an informed decision about opt in / opt out.

View Best Answer in original post

Message 14 of 15
latest reply
14 REPLIES 14

What is the Item Number this is happening to?

What is your Zip Code?

What are the dimensions of the package?

Message 2 of 15
latest reply

If I use the same zip code for a small 2 lb package on the ebay calculator the discounted rate shows as $6.84 so I don't see either of the two prices that you mention.  Have you checked using their calculator?

https://www.ebay.ca/shp/Calculator  

With that calculator you can see the retail rates and the ebay rates.

You might want to double check that the zip code on the Item location is correct on that particular listing.

Message 3 of 15
latest reply

Maybe the eBay gremlins changed the amount that's entered as your handling cost.

Message 4 of 15
latest reply

Item 305112401765

Zip 07601

Pkg 6x6x6

Thank you!

Message 5 of 15
latest reply

I checked the rates on both stamps.com and pirateship.  Both give the rate of Ground Advantage at $5.77.  Add in a handling fee of $1.25 for the total of $7.02 (sorry in my OP I transposed the zero and the two).  The zip on the item listing is correct.  I just checked on eBay's calculator and it is $8.08.  I ship alot on another i/d and other sites.  This size/wt pkg is never over the postage cost of $5.77.  As you suggested I double checked the ship to zip and it is the same as mine 07601.

Thank you!

Message 6 of 15
latest reply

You never know lol!

Message 7 of 15
latest reply

The eBay shipping calculator (both freestanding and in your listings) will be based on the published Commercial rate for Ground Advantage, not on the further-discounted rates apparently enjoyed by users of Pirateship and stamps.com.

As you can see in eBay's shipping calculator or in the official USPS rates publication, Notice 123,  2 pounds to Zone 1 would be $6.83. If you add $1.25, there's your $8.08.  If you're shipping for $5.77, then one workaround would be to drop the handling charge and just charge your buyers the eBay rate.

http://pe.usps.com/cpim/ftp/manuals/dmm300/notice123.pdf

http://www.ebay.com/shp/Calculator

ETA:  The eBay rate for a package that weighs 15.99 ounces would be $5.85; add $1.25 and you get $7.10, which is pretty close to your recalled value of $7.20.  Maybe you were mis-remembering the exact weight and price?

Message 8 of 15
latest reply

stamps and pirate are giving a discount at $5.77

That rate is not available on eBay

Message 9 of 15
latest reply

@nobody*s_perfect  I did not realize the off-site places were lower than eBay's shipping cost.  I like both of your ideas to counteract the problem.  I think I will, as you suggested, drop the weight one pound which would then bring me very close to my cost +handling.  Or I can use the 2 lb. wt. and lower the handling fee.

Thank you so much for the advice and the links!  This is extremely helpful!

Message 10 of 15
latest reply

@buyselljack2016   I only just realized this.  Thank you!

Message 11 of 15
latest reply

I double checked and hope I have responded to everyone.  You've all been helpful and I appreciate it very much. 

Happy New Year!

Message 12 of 15
latest reply

@hoopsandyoyo wrote: ....  I think I will, as you suggested, drop the weight one pound which would then bring me very close to my cost +handling.  Or I can use the 2 lb. wt. and lower the handling fee....

Wait, I didn't suggest a weight adjustment. That wouldn't work as well because the price difference for farther zones is far more than $1.25; at eBay rates, the Zone 8 prices are $6.78 for 15 ounces and $9.88 for 2 pounds, a difference of over $3.  With the discounted rates at other sites, there's probably still a big gap.  So I recommend keeping the 2-pound weight and dropping the handling fee.

Of course all of these prices are going to change everywhere when the new USPS rates go into effect later this month.

Message 13 of 15
latest reply

@hoopsandyoyo wrote:

I did not realize the off-site places were lower than eBay's shipping cost.

It's a mixed bag right now @hoopsandyoyo where some Ground rates are lower elsewhere, while some Priority rates are lowest on eBay. In your shoes I would not make any changes right now. Within the next few weeks the annual USPS price changes will go into effect and we don't know what's going to happen with discounts over and above the published USPS commercial rates - whether eBay, pirate, stamps, etc will have additional discounts and if they'll be the same or competing as they are now.

If you do make changes, then as nobodys-perfect suggested, do not mess with the package weight. Adjust your handling fee instead.

GLORIOUS!

Confused about the switch to eBay discounted shipping? Read this discussion to make an informed decision about opt in / opt out.
Message 14 of 15
latest reply

@wastingtime101

Thank you for your sound advice!  I will follow what you have suggested.  Thank you very much!!

Hoops

Message 15 of 15
latest reply