cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Shipping Auto Calculate feature wrong

I put in the *correct* box size and weight when I listed an item. That item sold yesterday and the buyer selected usps parcel select for shipping. But, she paid $3 less than what I paid for the label.  Everything is the same --- same box size, same weight, same shipping method. There were no changes made to trigger the higher amount. 

Has anyone else had this problem?

Message 1 of 17
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Re: Shipping Auto Calculate feature wrong

Oh, there you go. Wrong ship from zip code on the listing. Third thread about this today.

All of OP's listings I checked say Phoenix, and 85375 is about 45 min outside of Phoenix.

If you need to update the item location on your listings, rustyrelics, pull all your listings into the bulk editor and change the item location all at once. The new zip should stick when you create new listings.

If you "sell similar" or "relist" from a listing that had the old zip, you will have to manually change it every time.

View Best Answer in original post

Message 15 of 17
latest reply
16 REPLIES 16

@rustyrelics-az 

Many report shipping cost issues.

Size

Weight

From Zip

To Zip

Buyer paid

Label cost

Someone may be able to have a look see.

I had one where USPS had changed some Zip Zones, but apparently eBay was not up to date on those changes, and the buyer paid less than required because of that.  That was months back, and should not be happening now.

Message 2 of 17
latest reply

Your listing was set up to charge the online commercial rate for a 2 pound package. Is that not what you intended @rustyrelics-az?

Message 3 of 17
latest reply

It was set up for a 3 pound package.  

Message 4 of 17
latest reply

Thanks for letting me know. I'll reach out to customer service. Maybe that update hasn't been completed.

Message 5 of 17
latest reply

@rustyrelics-az wrote:

Go to that sold listing. Click "sell similar" and scroll down to the shipping section. I'm guessing there's a typo that says 2 lb instead of 3 lb. You can delete the draft without publishing, but this is the only way you will know for sure.

I'd certainly double check before spending time and resources contacting CS.

Message 6 of 17
latest reply

@rustyrelics-az wrote:

Thanks for letting me know. I'll reach out to customer service. Maybe that update hasn't been completed.

That was months ago. Likely corrected.

CS will likely be of no assistance.  Outsourced, and have scripted answers.

Likely will not understand what your issue is and will stray off script to tell you something/anything to end the call.

Providing these things here will allow a very possible reason to be given by experienced buyers/sellers to narrow down the reason for the wall mounted hanger shipping charge.

Size

Weight

From Zip

To Zip

Buyer paid amount (for Parcel Select)

Label cost for you, and where purchased

Possibly already answered 🙂

Message 7 of 17
latest reply

@wastingtime101 wrote: ...Go to that sold listing. .... I'm guessing there's a typo that says 2 lb instead of 3 lb. ....

The item that the OP sold yesterday is showing calculated shipping for a 3-pound package.

Two potential sources of error are (1) purchasing a different service, e.g., purchasing Priority when the buyer paid for Parcel Select, or package postage when the buyer paid for a flat; or (2) the ZIP Code in the listing is not the same as the seller's "ship from" ZIP Code on the label form.  My money's on a ZIP Code error; let's see whether the two prices are for 3 pounds to different Zones.

If you tell us the two exact price (what the buyer paid and what you paid for the label) I bet we fan figure it out.

Message 8 of 17
latest reply

Hmm, I was looking at the Priority rate (because I had that section of the DMM on my screen at the time).

Shipping to zip 90210

$8.31 Priority - matches the online rate for 2 lb to zone 2

$8.14 Parcel Select - matches the online rate for 3 lb to zone 4

Now that I'm looking at it more closely, $8.31 is the eBay rate for 3 lb and it's lower than the USPS DMM commercial rate of $9.25 to zone 4

So eBay is showing their lower priority rates, not the published commercial rates when you pass the discount to buyers. I didn't realize they were doing that.

It does explain why I saw a 2 lb rate though - because all I looked at was Priority and compared it to the DMM and did a Ctrl + F for 8.31. First time that method ever failed me. haha

Message 9 of 17
latest reply

@rustyrelics-az wrote:

What price did the buyer pay you for shipping @rustyrelics-az?

And what price did you pay for the label?

Message 10 of 17
latest reply

I notice this was an auction listing. Did you by any chance send an invoice to the buyer?

If you did, the buyer could have changed their shipping address at checkout which would account for the discrepancy.

Here's my advice about sending invoices:

There's no reason to send an invoice unless you have to make an adjustment, for example combined shipping costs or adding another shipping method the buyer requested.

eBay sends out payment reminders to buyers automatically. Sending invoices is a duplication of efforts and clogs the buyer's inbox.

Sending an invoice locks in the shipping cost. That could have a big financial impact on someone that uses calculated shipping. The shipping price gets locked in based on the buyer's default location, but if they change the address at checkout to have that item shipped to Mom across the country, that shipping cost can change by leaps and bounds and seller is out the $$.

Finally, sending an invoice resets the clock on when an order can be cancelled for non-payment when sellers handle UPIs manually. The automated system will cancel based on the seller's settings regardless of sending an invoice, but when you use the manual process and an invoice is sent it resets the clock, giving the buyer an additional 4 days before the system will let the seller cancel.

Message 11 of 17
latest reply

Thanks everyone for your interest in helping solve this .... Here are the details ....

16x16x6 box that weighed 3 pounds and was sent usps parcel select.  It's going to Dallas 75228 from Arizona 85375

Buyer paid $8.80  I paid $11.19

No invoice was sent. The buyer paid a few hours after the auction ended.

Message 12 of 17
latest reply

Thanks for the added info.

$8.80 is the parcel select rate for a 3 lb package shipping to zone 5

$11.19 is the parcel select rate for a 3 lb package shipping to zone 6

Shipping from 85375 to 75228 is a zone 6 shipment.

If you did not send an invoice and you did not change the buyer's address, then I don't understand how the buyer would have been charged the zone 5 rate when their shipping address is in zone 6.

Message 13 of 17
latest reply

@rustyrelics-az wrote: ... .  It's going to Dallas 75228 from Arizona 85375

Buyer paid $8.80  I paid $11.19...

As noted in the other post, one of those prices is for Zone 5 and the other is for Zone 6.

Your listing says that the item is in Phoenix, where the ZIP Codes all begin with 850xx.  What ZIP Code is entered in the shipping calculator in your listing?  A Zip Code beginning with 853 would be Zone 6 when shipping to Dallas but beginning with 850 would be Zone 5.

Message 14 of 17
latest reply

Oh, there you go. Wrong ship from zip code on the listing. Third thread about this today.

All of OP's listings I checked say Phoenix, and 85375 is about 45 min outside of Phoenix.

If you need to update the item location on your listings, rustyrelics, pull all your listings into the bulk editor and change the item location all at once. The new zip should stick when you create new listings.

If you "sell similar" or "relist" from a listing that had the old zip, you will have to manually change it every time.

Message 15 of 17
latest reply