cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Shipping 1 arrow.

Does it really cost over 20 dollars to ship one single 1 pound 32” x 2” x 2” packaged hunting arrow Parcel Select USPS ? That’s what it keeps coming up as when I try to list it. That’s crazy if true.

Message 1 of 14
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Shipping 1 arrow.

@buyselljack2016 wrote:

@bottomlessattic 

$15 surcharge for anything over 30 inches started back in April.

You can build a 30" custom box to pack the arrow at an angle to eliminate that$15 surcharge, but there will still be a $4 surcharge for an item over 22 inches.

Your answer is accurate. It will take a box 30x12x2 to accommodate the 32" arrow.

HOWEVER the post office is being really stupid. The alleged reason for the overcharges is to pay for the extra space that bigger boxes take.

BUT a 30x12x2 box is, in terms of cubic feet, twice as big as a 32x2x2. So the post office, in this case, is losing the surcharge AND losing twice as much space.

Even worse, a 22x22x3 box will also accept the arrow . BUT it is TEN times the cubic foot of a 32x2x2 and they lose BOTH surcharges..

But then we are dealing with a bureaucracy. Goals not Achievements.

View Best Answer in original post

Message 10 of 14
latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

Shipping 1 arrow.

@bottomlessattic 

You can build a 30" custom box to pack the arrow at an angle to eliminate that$15 surcharge, but there will still be a $4 surcharge for an item over 22 inches.

Message 2 of 14
latest reply

Shipping 1 arrow.

@bottomlessattic 

Find a wider package with a length of 30" or less that fits your arrow on the angle to lower shipping cost.

Over 22" to 30" has $4 USPS surcharge
Over 30" has $15 USPS surcharge

Message 3 of 14
latest reply

Shipping 1 arrow.

@bottomlessattic wrote:

Does it really cost over 20 dollars to ship one single 1 pound 32” x 2” x 2” packaged hunting arrow Parcel Select USPS ? That’s what it keeps coming up as when I try to list it. That’s crazy if true.

You need to do some research.

Pirateship, from Nevada to New England, quotes 32x3x2 at $13.43 parcel select. $9.17 UPS ground and $14,48 by Priority Mail. The 3" is because 2"x2" is too small for the USPS which may also be part of your problem..

Message 4 of 14
latest reply

Shipping 1 arrow.

Using your same numbers, I came up with $24.43 parcel select, $25.48 priority, and $11.67 UPS ground.

Message 5 of 14
latest reply

Shipping 1 arrow.

That was going to be my suggestion as well. Use UPS Ground if that is in your wheelhouse.

Posting ID
Message 6 of 14
latest reply

Shipping 1 arrow.

Use geometry to be creative.

he/him/guy/dude...you get the picture
Message 7 of 14
latest reply

Shipping 1 arrow.

Some things are just not worth selling on the internet unless the value warrants the high shipping cost, a single arrow might fall into that category. 

Message 8 of 14
latest reply

Shipping 1 arrow.

@bottomlessattic wrote:

Parcel Select USPS ?

Why do you have to ship it that way?

Message 9 of 14
latest reply

Shipping 1 arrow.

@buyselljack2016 wrote:

@bottomlessattic 

Your answer is accurate. It will take a box 30x12x2 to accommodate the 32" arrow.

HOWEVER the post office is being really stupid. The alleged reason for the overcharges is to pay for the extra space that bigger boxes take.

BUT a 30x12x2 box is, in terms of cubic feet, twice as big as a 32x2x2. So the post office, in this case, is losing the surcharge AND losing twice as much space.

Even worse, a 22x22x3 box will also accept the arrow . BUT it is TEN times the cubic foot of a 32x2x2 and they lose BOTH surcharges..

But then we are dealing with a bureaucracy. Goals not Achievements.

Message 10 of 14
latest reply

Shipping 1 arrow.

Exactly. Would be too easy just putting them in a 2" sturdy plastic tube for safe economical shipping. 

Message 11 of 14
latest reply

Shipping 1 arrow.

Never home for UPS pickup and the last time I used UPS drop at the local store pickup place. It sat there on a shelf for a week unshipped. I had to go there and remind them to ship it out. 

Message 12 of 14
latest reply

Shipping 1 arrow.

Use FedEx then

Message 13 of 14
latest reply

Shipping 1 arrow.

@bottomlessattic wrote:

Never home for UPS pickup and the last time I used UPS drop at the local store pickup place. It sat there on a shelf for a week unshipped. I had to go there and remind them to ship it out. 

Those pharmacies, dollar stores, etc that take packages are notoriously unreliable. A place dedicated to shipping or Staples (which has its own dept dedicated to UPS shipping) ... those are the good spots for dropping off UPS.

GLORIOUS!

Confused about the switch to eBay discounted shipping? Read this discussion to make an informed decision about opt in / opt out.
Message 14 of 14
latest reply