cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Selling and shipping to international buyers.

Hi everyone

I received an email from an international buyer who is interested in one of my items. In my listings I do specify that I only ship to the lower 48 US States. The potential buyer wants me to give him a total cost including the shipping to his country.  Even though I have never shipped anything outside the USA, I am considering doing so as it would allow me to reach more buyers. There is Ebay Global shipping but I have no knowledge of that. What is the best way for me to go about completing this process. The first time is always the hardest when doing something new.  Should I change the listing to include free shipping and go to the post office directly? I currently buy and pay for shipping labels through Ebay and just drop off the items at the respective couriers. Since I have only shipped within the USA, I usually choose the option where the cost is calculated based on the buyers location. Would I need to go and change the my settings to do this sale? I do not think the buyer would see a shipping cost from his end when viewing my listing. I have looked at his feedback and it all has positive comments, 100%, so I am not concerned with selling to him. Anyone that has travelled this road before, can you give me some insight. Thanks in advance to all suggestions.

Message 1 of 11
latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

Re: Selling and shipping to international buyers.

I think you should open your listings to international Buyers. You'll have much success with your rare items

I've tested both GSP and other available international services. I list with GSP because of it's convenience. You pay postage to a distribution center in U S and rest is done by eBay. Once package is received, item is insured for loss and damage till item reaches its international destination. That'll work well for your Guitars

To sign up with GSP

Go to My eBay

Account Settings 

Under Selling

Shipping Preferences

Check in international Shipping with GSP, it's the top option 

Message 2 of 11
latest reply

@santamonicajeweler 

Will signing up with gsp put the sellers current listings in the program? Or will it only affect listings done after gsp was enabled?

Message 3 of 11
latest reply

If the gsp is enabled on your listing, the buyer will see the shipping charges and import charges to their country.  When you are paid, you will receive the domestic shipping charge (to Kentucky)  and the gsp will receive the international shipping portion and any import charges.  You would print your labels through ebay as usual. I believe that when you do that, there is a transaction number on the label so that when it arrives at the gsp center in Kentucky, they know who to forward that package to.

Message 4 of 11
latest reply

Thanks to both of you for taking the time to respond.  I will sign up with that program (GSP). Would I be able to select certain items for international sales or will all my listings be included into that shipping program. I would still like to have the ability to have control over that since certain things I have listed I may not want my target buyer to be from a foreign country.

Message 5 of 11
latest reply

I am a buyer in Australia and I am definitely NOT a fan of the Global Shopping Program (it's very overpriced and if the seller doesn't provide all info about the item (size weight etc) it seems Pitney Bowes overinflates the cost even more and also charges a fee to buyers for administering the Oz Goods and Services Tax (a procedure that is illegal in oz)....plus sometimes GSP combines shipping for items and sometimes it doesn't).  Clearly more work is required by the seller to get it to be worth anyone from overseas using it.  Also it NOT suitable for items under $50 (probably even under $100). 

HOWEVER, as far as deliveries to Australia are concerned, there has been ONE massive improvement and that is, once a purchase escapes the clutches of PB and is to be cleared by US customs the item is handed over to APG - Australia Post Global  (an international arm of Australia Post) - where the service is much faster, an APG tracking no is issued and the delivery process is streamlined. 

You won't see what the GSP costs buyers unless you view a listing from eBay NOT in the US.  If you've got a lightweight inexpensive item for sale that for some reason overseas buyers are not interested.....it could be that while the item is only $20, PB has pulled a shipping figure out of who-knows-where that can easily be double or three times the cost of the item!  Australians love bargains and stuff we find hard to buy here, but we won't put up with being ripped off re postage (shipping).

Message 6 of 11
latest reply

You can specify which items you want to send through the gsp.  I don’t use the program so I’m not sure exactly how that is done.

Message 7 of 11
latest reply

@shar1gre wrote:

Hi everyone

I received an email from an international buyer who is interested in one of my items. In my listings I do specify that I only ship to the lower 48 US States. 

I realize this is OT from your original post but I always wonder why sellers foolishly refuse to sell to Alaska and Hawaii. They're part of the US and in my experience, those buyers are so appreciative of sellers who will sell to them because items are cheaper on ebay than to buy from retailers in those states! 

albertabrightalberta
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 8 of 11
latest reply

@shar1gre once you take the check mark off GSP on sales venue, no international sales will be available for that listing 

gsp_1.jpg

Message 9 of 11
latest reply

I always wondered that myself. I was not sure why some sellers do not offer shipping to Alaska and Hawaii and I am also guilty of that without having sufficient knowledge to do any differently. That is something that I definitely will look into more as I am not doing myself any favors by reducing the pool of all potential buyers. I have been on Ebay since 2012 as a buyer and only started selling in October last year so I am still figuring certain things out, but I am fortunate to have such amazing people here to offer advice.

Message 10 of 11
latest reply

You have a couple of options on all of your listings.

1) Join the Global Shipping Program. However, this is a very expensive option for your customers. But, it's low effort on your part since you will be shipping to a location in the USA.

2) Ship via Ebay International shipping via the USPS. You again will more than likely ship to a USA address or an international shipping label will be generated on your behalf.

3) You pack it, complete all the Customs forms, take it to the USPS/UPS/FedEx, & then you manually enter the tracking number in the order details.

Since I sell light weight items, I typically select option 2 because its efficient, I have some insurance, & the cost is more reasonable for the buyer. Please just keep in mind that the USPS will deliver to a freight forwarder/courier. More than likely DHL Express Commerce......it isn't the regular DHL. 

Message 11 of 11
latest reply