cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Seller won’t respond or ship the paid for item. Who’s responsible?

I am curious. I have had so many issues with sellers in China. I’ve bought around 10-15 different anime statues. The sellers don’t answer my messages and they don’t ship. However, they got paid. What’s sketchy is, they delete the item for some reason right after I pay. So, who is responsible for the refund? 
I open a dispute through eBay. They have the “money back guaranteed”. So I’m guessing EBay is the one who gives the refund. My question is. Does Ebay come after the seller and get the money back that they covered? Or does the seller get the money and runs without any consequences? I feel Ebay should come for the seller to get their money back. 

You can see the message Ebay sent me about the seller who deleted the item and the error message I got when trying to see the deleted item. 

IMG_8552.jpeg

IMG_8551.jpeg

Message 1 of 9
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Re: Seller won’t respond or ship the paid for item. Who’s responsible?

Sellers cannot delete listings during a transaction; the seller or listing was removed by eBay.

eBay will attempt to take the amount for the refund from the seller's account, but that may not always be possible.

If you can determine the factors that those seller accounts have in common you may be able to avoid purchasing from such sellers. Aside from the location, you may want to look at how long the sellers have been selling similar items, and what sort of feedback those sellers have received from buyers. You should be wary of new or unproven sellers, or sellers that have a pattern of feedback that indicates issues with delivering what was advertised, or sellers that have drastic changes in seller behavior or items sold.

View Best Answer in original post

Message 2 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

Sellers cannot delete listings during a transaction; the seller or listing was removed by eBay.

eBay will attempt to take the amount for the refund from the seller's account, but that may not always be possible.

If you can determine the factors that those seller accounts have in common you may be able to avoid purchasing from such sellers. Aside from the location, you may want to look at how long the sellers have been selling similar items, and what sort of feedback those sellers have received from buyers. You should be wary of new or unproven sellers, or sellers that have a pattern of feedback that indicates issues with delivering what was advertised, or sellers that have drastic changes in seller behavior or items sold.

Message 2 of 9
latest reply

If/when you do not receive your item, you open an INR case and are refunded by eBay.

eBay then takes those funds from the seller.  

Why in the world would eBay allow that seller to keep the money?

Message 3 of 9
latest reply

To answer the question -

All sellers have "payment" account. 

The payment processor (not eBay) deposits payments into the account.

IF there is an issue with the item, non-shipment, eBay closing the account - eBay and the buyer are reimbursed through the sellers account.

There are certain sellers I never buy from .... and that location is #1

I dont need the headache or any counterfeit items.

klhmdg  •  Volunteer Community Mentor
Message 4 of 9
latest reply

In addition to the advice posted above @collectorofvalu I'm throwing in a link that tells you how to file a non-receipt claim in case it's needed.

https://www.ebay.com/help/buying/returns-refunds/get-help-item-hasnt-arrived?id=4042

GLORIOUS!

Confused about the switch to eBay discounted shipping? Read this discussion to make an informed decision about opt in / opt out.
Message 5 of 9
latest reply

I did get my money back through opening a claim through eBay. I just don’t understand why people list items and get the money but never send the item or respond. So I’m just making sure there is justice and Ebay takes the money back from the scamming seller. I’m paid back from EBays money back guarantee. I’m just asking if in the end, ebay  makes that seller pay them back. Because I don’t want them to get away with my money without consiquences. It’s always China. 

Now, I make sure I see the sellers ratings, how long have they been selling on Ebay, and how many items they are selling or have sold. All matters to me. And no more China 

Message 6 of 9
latest reply

I did get my money back through opening a claim through eBay. I just don’t understand why people list items and get the money but never send the item or respond. So I’m just making sure there is justice and Ebay takes the money back from the scamming seller. I’m paid back from EBays money back guarantee. I’m just asking if in the end, ebay  makes that seller pay them back. Because I don’t want them to get away with my money without consiquences. It’s always China. 

Message 7 of 9
latest reply

Thank you so much for your reply!!

Message 8 of 9
latest reply

I just don’t understand why people list items and get the money but never send the item or respond.

Some are outright scammers. Some are just bad at selling -- including some new sellers that do not own the items they advertise but intend to purchase later and then fail to do so (possibly because they are trying to buy from scammers).

So I’m just making sure there is justice and Ebay takes the money back from the scamming seller.

eBay certainly would prefer to take the money for the refund from the particular non-performing seller rather than from out of eBay's income (which comes in part from the fees from all sellers), but that may not always be possible. Some scammers are able to get away with the money, otherwise few would bother trying to commit scams in the first place.

You can avoid inadvertently giving money to scammers (or sellers that are poor at selling) by choosing carefully which sellers you give your money to.

Message 9 of 9
latest reply