cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Seller wants to handle a return off the eBay site

Is there a legit reason a seller might ask me to process a return not using the eBay system? I'm returning the item for a reason almost certainly not their fault, it was glassware and arrived broken. The seller has asked me not to use eBay's return process and just to let them send me a return label directly, saying there would be (unnamed) negative consequences to them of using the eBay return system. (They do know I would mark it damaged in transit, which seems like it could hardly get the seller penalized by eBay, but I don't know how eBay works.) The seller also said they're giving me two choices: let them send me a return label directly or if I don't want to do that, they will just send me 15% of what I paid. (It sounds kind of squirrelly, but if what they are suggesting is against the rules, why did they make this offer using the eBay message system?) If it makes any difference, the item came as an Amazon delivery (in an Amazon box with an Amazon return label in the box), making me wonder if they were drop shipping. But would that make any difference?

Message 1 of 9
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

I agree with the others - open a "not as described" return request. 

If the seller is smart, they'll just issue a refund without requiring a return.

albertabrightalberta
Volunteer Community Mentor

View Best Answer in original post

Message 5 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

@fairdayfarm 

For your own protection, only do the return on the eBay site.

The seller is attempting to do an end-run around eBay -- don't do it!

Just open the return as you normally would on eBay -- if the seller has a problem with that, you will probably be refunded by eBay, and the seller will receive a defect against their account.

Message 2 of 9
latest reply

Don't let the seller con you into returning the item off site. Keeping the return on eBay will give you buyer protection should the seller attempt to renege on the refund allowing you to ask eBay to step in to help you get your money back. There's no buyer protection if you go outside of eBay with the return, if the seller gets the item back and doesn't refund you wont have eBay to back you. 

Message 3 of 9
latest reply

As others have stated- simply OPEN a RETURN on EBAY and "ignore" the seller. 

Seller MAY be direct drop shipping from AZ- and that may NOT be wrong as MANY sellers 'house' things at that site and 'ship' from there....IF; and ONLY if- seller 'owns' the items that are 'stored/shipped' from there...

but either way, has NOTHING to do with you....so again- follow direction given by all the others. 

Message 4 of 9
latest reply

I agree with the others - open a "not as described" return request. 

If the seller is smart, they'll just issue a refund without requiring a return.

albertabrightalberta
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 5 of 9
latest reply

I appreciate knowing that there *might* be a legitimate reason the package came from Amazon, hate to just be conned. Thanks for the response.

Message 6 of 9
latest reply

I wish they *had* just said to forget it, but they just gave me lots of static. So I taped the shipping box back up (rattly glass bits and all, which I hadn't yet taken out of the box) and shipped the whole mess back to them yesterday through the eBay system. The refund came through tonight, so I'm not harmed except for feeling that they pressed me to do things in a way that felt like they were gaming me, or the system, or both. Thanks for your response.

Message 7 of 9
latest reply

Thanks, I did know that if things went wrong with such a return there would be no recourse for me.

Message 8 of 9
latest reply

Thank you, glad to know that. They probably do know it as well, because the refund just came through. I sent it the usual way through the eBay system and they bit the bullet, I guess.

Message 9 of 9
latest reply