cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Seller protection is a joke

I am a top rated seller with over 1100 positive feedback.  I always always try to do the right thing and always work with my buyers when issues arise.  Recently I sold a new in box sealed gaming tablet for $300.  It went to Canada using the Global shipping program. When I listed the item I scanned to box and used all the item information from Ebay for the listing. When the buyer received the item he claimed that it was not as advertised. I responded back and asked if the item was opened. He replied yes and I advised that I just cant take an electronic item back once its been opened. I received no response so I opened a dispute with Ebay. After two weeks Ebay came back with a judgement. The buyer gets to keep the Brand new in box $300 item and  was refunded all his money plus shipping.  I called to file a dispute and was told the decision was final and that there was nothing that could be done. How is this seller protection? I could see if I was forced to accept the return but to let the buyer keep the item and I loose all the money?  Come on Ebay.     

Message 1 of 11
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Re: Seller protection is a joke

orangehound I AGREE COMPLETELY POLICIES ARE CONFUSING

THAT IS A GREAT IDEA BUT SADLY eBay policy makers will probably not see the value in that suggestion. just my two cents

They appear to be greedy but not overly concerned with eBay long term goals for a having a solid seller friendly site that will be successful for years to come but I may be wrong.

View Best Answer in original post

Message 7 of 11
latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

@sl5269 wrote:

I am a top rated seller with over 1100 positive feedback.

[Seller knows the eMBG.]

It went to Canada using the Global shipping program.

[eMBG still applies for return requests.]

When the buyer received the item he claimed that it was not as advertised. I responded back

[3 business days squandered without a resolution.]

I received no response so I opened a dispute with Ebay.

[eBay applied the eMBG policy, see below.]

After two weeks Ebay came back with a judgement. The buyer gets to keep the Brand new in box $300 item and  was refunded all his money plus shipping. 

I called to file a dispute and was told the decision was final and that there was nothing that could be done. How is this seller protection?

[eBay re-affirmed the eMBG policy.]

When an item isn't returned to the seller

In some instances, we may not require that an item be returned to the seller. In these situations, we refund the buyer and may seek reimbursement from the seller, for example if:

• The seller chooses not to accept a return request
  • The seller did not provide a return shipping label or funds for the buyer to return the item
Message 2 of 11
latest reply

When I listed the item I scanned to box and used all the item information from Ebay for the listing.

eBay catalog information is sometimes incorrect, and needs to be checked for accuracy.  eBay specifically states in the User Agreement that the seller is responsible for all information in the listing.

I advised that I just cant take an electronic item back once its been opened.

For a Money Back Guarantee claim, you don't have to take it back, but you have to refund the buyer's money.

In general, according to the terms of the Money Back Guarantee in which the buyer claims that the item received is SNAD / INAD, you must either (a) refund the buyer's money or (b) receive back the item and then refund the buyer's money.  Items through the GSP are a little more lenient, because there is an inspection of the contents, but if the model or specs in the listing were off, it would necessitate that you are responsible for the claim.

I received no response so I opened a dispute with Ebay.

As you have now learned, a seller SHOULD NEVER elevate a claim to eBay ... and a seller should do their best to prevent a buyer from elevating a claim to eBay.   Never, never, never do you want this.

eBay harshly punishes sellers who have claims escalated.  Not only will eBay force the refund (and may not require a return), but eBay will further punish you by (a) not refunding your seller fees (that's a loss of maybe $30 to you in this case), and (b) giving you a nasty seller defect.

Seller protection is a joke.

Because you are (at the moment) a Top Rated Seller, there is limited seller protection available if you navigate the system properly.  But, should a seller battle a customer, escalate the claim, etc.,  - such behavior is considered bad customer service by eBay - then the TRS Seller will lose the opportunity to invoke their limited seller protection.

Message 3 of 11
latest reply

Spoiler
Spoiler
Well I learned a valuable and hard lesson today. Thanks for the input.
Message 4 of 11
latest reply

sorry this happened to you.

eBay needs to hire / appoint managers/decision makers who understand that great sellers like you will eventually go elsewhere and with no sellers buyers will leave in droves.
Message 5 of 11
latest reply

@terrycece62 wrote:
sorry this happened to you.

eBay needs to hire / appoint managers/decision makers who understand that great sellers like you will eventually go elsewhere and with no sellers buyers will leave in droves.

In my opinion, eBay's policies are over-complicated and confusing - both for buyers and sellers.  eBay needs to be crystal clear about how to navigate these situations, and be up front with us.  For example, as soon as the OP tried to escalate the claim, eBay should have presented a warning message like this:

WARNING:

You are asking eBay to step into this Money Back Guarantee claim and make a decision.  Please understand that eBay will ONLY consider information provided by the buyer in making their decision, and that eBay will side with the buyer in 99.42% of MBG cases.  If you should lose - and you should assume that you will lose - you will be punished with the following:

• eBay will force you to refund the money to the buyer
  • eBay may permit the buyer to keep the item
  • You will not be refunded your eBay fees of $30
  • You will receive a Seller Defect which threatens your Top Rated Seller status and your ability to continue selling on eBay.

Do you wish to continue?

[  ] YES - I want to suffer more by having eBay punish me for not resolving this situation with the customer.

[  ] NO -  I understand now.  Thank-you.  I will go back and resolve things directly with the customer.

Message 6 of 11
latest reply

orangehound I AGREE COMPLETELY POLICIES ARE CONFUSING

THAT IS A GREAT IDEA BUT SADLY eBay policy makers will probably not see the value in that suggestion. just my two cents

They appear to be greedy but not overly concerned with eBay long term goals for a having a solid seller friendly site that will be successful for years to come but I may be wrong.
Message 7 of 11
latest reply

I have been selling/buying on ebay for about 20 years and I have went through a lot of changes through the years but now ebay takes the seller's money from different kinds of angles and in anyway they can take it...but they say the buyer's and seller's are protected , this is probably true for most cases for the buyer but not so true on the seller's side....I have lost more money because it's never in my favor....this time the global shipping service which is ebay's way to get more money, ebay allowed me to list/sell an item then kept the item and then refunded the buyer from my account saying that I would retain my original payment (not true)....go figure....ebay when the sellers all leave your site and go somewhere else to sell....then maybe too late for your company...EBAY, STOP MISLEADING YOUR SELLERS!!!!!

Message 8 of 11
latest reply

I believe all the sellers/buyers that had the bad deals with ebay should all contact the BBB.....I wonder if this would help....?????

Message 9 of 11
latest reply

This kind of thing ebay takes your money over and over (Seller Protected???? yeah, right!!!!) ...it's almost like our government is the owners of ebay.....
Message 10 of 11
latest reply

I AGREE COMPLETELY I see limited seller protection at best
I am so glad that I don't sell anymore eBay makes it harder and harder for sellers all the way around
Message 11 of 11
latest reply