cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Seller not reading emails, item has already been used

I ordered a sheet of lead that was supposed to be 1/32" thick but I received a roll only 1/64" thick.  I had already cut up the sheet for models before realizing the mistake.  No problem, I thought, I can still use this size and I'll just give the seller another sale and ask for a discount to adjust for the price difference in the two sizes.

I've sent three emails to the seller describing the issue, including sending a return request trying to get the seller's attention.  I have mentioned in all three messages that the sheet of lead I received has already been cut up and I simply want to initiate a second sale with them.  The seller has not responded to any messages, but they did accept the return request.

So what do I do?  Should I just send the cut-up pieces back to the seller and buy the items from someone else?  Is there another way to try and get the seller's attention?  I would prefer keeping what I have already cut up but I feel I should only have to pay half the price since I only got half the product.  I'm at a loss, I've never had a seller completely ignore emails before.

Message 1 of 13
latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

Re: Seller not reading emails, item has already been used

Either return the sheets or keep them & give the next sale to someone else. You are lucky the seller even agreed to a return—you altered the condition of the item which voids the money back guarantee and probably the sellers return policy. You cannot just cut things up and then return them here.

One life is all we have to live
Love is all we have to give

**Formerly known as MissJen316**
Message 2 of 13
latest reply

@shdw.drgn wrote:

I ordered a sheet of lead that was supposed to be 1/32" thick but I received a roll only 1/64" thick.  I had already cut up the sheet for models before realizing the mistake.  No problem, I thought, I can still use this size and I'll just give the seller another sale and ask for a discount to adjust for the price difference in the two sizes.

I've sent three emails to the seller describing the issue, including sending a return request trying to get the seller's attention.  I have mentioned in all three messages that the sheet of lead I received has already been cut up and I simply want to initiate a second sale with them.  The seller has not responded to any messages, but they did accept the return request.

So what do I do?  Should I just send the cut-up pieces back to the seller and buy the items from someone else?  Is there another way to try and get the seller's attention?  I would prefer keeping what I have already cut up but I feel I should only have to pay half the price since I only got half the product.  I'm at a loss, I've never had a seller completely ignore emails before.

The seller responded by accepting your return request. Hopefully your communications were through ebay's  messages so you have record of the info. you provided the seller about the metal being cut. You only have 5 days to return the item. I suggest you do one of two things. Send it back or forget about it and do not leave negative feedback; the seller offered to make it right. It could have been an honest mistake. Buy the size you need elsewhere.  Here is a link to the returns policy on ebay's Help and Contact page reference returning for a refund.

https://www.ebay.com/help/buying/returns-refunds/returning-item?id=4041

Message 3 of 13
latest reply

by altering the item you have waited your money back guarantee. You are very very lucky that the seller decided to accept your return.

Message 4 of 13
latest reply

Everyone seems to be jumping on the fact that I already cut up the sheet, and completely missing the point here...  I told the seller I would be happy to keep the original sheet and pay for a new sheet (of the proper size) at a reduced cost to adjust for what the cost should have been for this smaller item.  I am TRYING to offer the seller a second sale so that I get a fair price for both sizes of metal and they don't have to deal with figuring out what to do with a cut-up piece of metal plus extra shipping costs.  Even when I filed the return claim, I again stated all of this to the seller (the sheet has been cut up, I simply want to buy another sheet of the size I expected to receive but at an adjusted cost), and when the seller accepted the return I emailed them once again asking if they really wanted me to ship them back all of the pieces of the cut up sheet rather than discussing the option of a second sale.  Despite all of this I have not received a single reply from the seller, other than accepting the return.  I just don't get it...

Yes, all of my communications have been through ebay.  Yes, I re-checked the original sale which specified the thickness as 1/32" (the micrometer reads only 0.016" thick) and a weight of 2.25 pounds (my scale reads 13.5 ounces for the entire roll).  I just don't know what else I can do if the seller isn't willing to respond.  I guess I'll have to box it up tonight and drop it off at the post office in the morning.

Message 5 of 13
latest reply

Was your request a "not as described" return? A seller pretty much has to accept in that case. Actually, eBay auto-accepts returns these days so the seller may not have been the one to accept it.

You should keep what you cut up and next time check the product you receive before using it. I'm sure it's a lesson learned.

Did you try calling the seller?

Message 6 of 13
latest reply

Send them the cut up pieces and write the seller off as a scammer and look for an honest seller. Be sure to leave feedback to warn other buyers.
Message 7 of 13
latest reply

@shdw.drgn wrote:

Everyone seems to be jumping on the fact that I already cut up the sheet, and completely missing the point here...  I told the seller I would be happy to keep the original sheet and pay for a new sheet (of the proper size) at a reduced cost to adjust for what the cost should have been for this smaller item.  I am TRYING to offer the seller a second sale so that I get a fair price for both sizes of metal and they don't have to deal with figuring out what to do with a cut-up piece of metal plus extra shipping costs.  Even when I filed the return claim, I again stated all of this to the seller (the sheet has been cut up, I simply want to buy another sheet of the size I expected to receive but at an adjusted cost), and when the seller accepted the return I emailed them once again asking if they really wanted me to ship them back all of the pieces of the cut up sheet rather than discussing the option of a second sale.  Despite all of this I have not received a single reply from the seller, other than accepting the return.  I just don't get it...

Yes, all of my communications have been through ebay.  Yes, I re-checked the original sale which specified the thickness as 1/32" (the micrometer reads only 0.016" thick) and a weight of 2.25 pounds (my scale reads 13.5 ounces for the entire roll).  I just don't know what else I can do if the seller isn't willing to respond.  I guess I'll have to box it up tonight and drop it off at the post office in the morning.

Nobody missed the point. The thing is, the seller can’t be forced to respond to you and agree to what you are asking for. If he’s not responding, then the only resolution you can get through eBay is a return for a full refund. 

Message 8 of 13
latest reply

Does the seller offer free returns?

If so, they can deduct up to 50% of the item price because you altered it. 

Message 9 of 13
latest reply

@shdw.drgn wrote:

I don't think I missed the point at all. I know it's frustrating to not get a reply for your offer to the seller. It would seem really nice and polite if the seller would work that out with you. However, there is no requirement for the seller to do so. Like I posted earlier, my suggestion is to make a decision and go with it. If you do get a full refund, it is unfair, in my opinion, to then slam the seller with a negative. None of us know the situation for your getting the wrong size and I would take the high road on this one. But maybe that's just me. I wish you peachful resolve regardless of how you handle it.

Energy surely flows where attention goes.

Message 10 of 13
latest reply

@lintbrush* wrote:

Is this available if the buyer opened a SNAD claim? I wouldn't think so.

It's not clear to me if the buyer opened a regular return request or a SNAD, which is really what it was.

Message 11 of 13
latest reply

Well for what it's worth, in my last communication I told the seller I would ship the lead sheet back on Friday if I didn't hear from them by then. No reply as of yesterday so I went ahead and shipped it. It's unfortunate that we couldn't work something out, but it is what it is. I'll wait until ebay closes out the return and then buy again from somebody else. Thanks everyone for the advice.
Message 12 of 13
latest reply

@glgenterprise wrote:

@lintbrush* wrote:

Is this available if the buyer opened a SNAD claim? I wouldn't think so.

It's not clear to me if the buyer opened a regular return request or a SNAD, which is really what it was.

@glgenterprise Yes it is available on SNADs. And a SNAD and a return request are the exact same thing. 

Message 13 of 13
latest reply