cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Seller is accusing me of damaging returned item

Recently I purchased a rather expensive trading card for a card game I play competitively (Yu-Gi-Oh! Trading Card Game) . The card was being sold as Near Mint condition, however when the card arrived it was clearly damaged. I immediately open a request for a return, uploading a photo of the damaged card. A few hours later the seller claims the card pictured isn’t his and I reply that this is exactly how the card looked when I opened the package. He then agrees to replace the item with another Near Mint copy he owns, so I send it back to him and put in the tracking number to the eBay return process. After it arrived back at the seller’s place today, the seller is trying to claim that he is pretty sure I swapped the card with a damaged one I already had. This is absolutely not true, and it is plainly obvious this seller is either trying to scam me (by having me pay $75 for a card, having me return it, then claim this is not the same copy of the card I sent him). However I’m not really sure how I can prove this, and am deeply worried I just threw away a ton of money on nothing. This essentially boils down to a he-said, she-said and I’m wondering if anyone knows the chances eBay will side with me and issue a refund?

Message 1 of 4
latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

You don’t need to prove anything. eBay will force the seller to refund you. And they may or may not reimburse the seller out of ebays pocket if he appeals it. 

One life is all we have to live
Love is all we have to give

**Formerly known as MissJen316**
Message 2 of 4
latest reply

EBay has set the burden of proof on the seller and not the buyer.

So good news for you, ebay will take your side.

Message 3 of 4
latest reply

Just escalate the claim to Ebay.  They will rule in your favor and make the seller refund you in full.  

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 4 of 4
latest reply