cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ridiculous shipping prices with "eBay global shipping" enforced on me

Hi!

I'm shopping from outside of US and eBay global shipping didn't bother me frequently. Usually it was USPS international shipping instead with a very reasonable cost of ~25$ bucks for a phone for instance, US > Europe.

Now for some reason I listings I see are eBay Global freaking shipping program which is notorious for corrupting goods at repackaging and stupidly expensive. Any little thing I want to pick up even for ~10-20$ is now + 50 BUCKS SHIPPING!

Crazy!

Is there a way to turn it off somehow and change for direct shipping other than talking directly to seller to convince to change the option, which barely would be done?

Message 1 of 17
latest reply
16 REPLIES 16

Is there a way to turn it off somehow and change for direct shipping other than talking directly to seller to convince to change the option, which barely would be done?

The seller selects to use the GSP when the listing is created.  Sellers use the GSP because they do not want to deal with shipping directly to international destinations, filling out the customs form, etc.

You could use the Contact Seller, and ask nicely if the seller could ship directly to you.  If so, the seller would have to cancel the current listing, and relist the item WITHOUT selecting the GSP and then you can make your purchase.

disneyshopper
Volunteer Community Member

Message 2 of 17
latest reply

I sell a great deal internationally. @disneyshopper just for the record, if you use eBay for labels customs forms are automatically created no hassle whatsoever. To the buyer here, I hear your pain.  I  try when I can to offer shipping options so the buyer can decide what method and speed of delivery they want.  International shipping is expensive and having options allows the buyers to maybe save a few $'s.  Domestic shipping in the US for anything that's a package is basically the same for parcel post priority ( some exceptions like media mail). Some like GSP because they do take car of all fees like customs, etc. in advance and that's why it can seem more expensive. In some cases when using other carriers, buyers will need to pay for that on their end before item is released.

My international customers are fantastic an without them eBay would not be nearly as valuable selling site.  @disneyshopper is right that for some reason eBay won't you let you change shipping options on a listing. I can understand not allowing prices to rise once a listing on going but adding options and choice wouldn't seem to cause any problems.

My advice shop around till you find sellers who really understand international shipping and offer choices that fit your budget and timeframe for receiving the item.

Message 3 of 17
latest reply

@intenditorecom 

@disneyshopper 

Removing GSP to a current listing is possible but the option to do so has gotten a bit more "hidden" as of late. Having a way to sort out GSP for Canadian buyers would be a dream come true. Sadly that request to eBay, on several occasions, fell on deaf ears. Now, when shopping I just hit next. I'm not sure how painful processing the customs info on dot com is but on dot ca it only adds a few minutes. If it costs more for a buyer to purchase from a seller using GSP, it's NOT a bonus feature, well at least not for the buyer.

-Lotz

Message 4 of 17
latest reply

I don't use GSP anymore.  I think it was designed initially to make it easier for reluctant sellers in the US to sell internationally. Still see a lot I don't sell international. IMHO, those sellers making a big mistake. This was before all the USPS label integration in eBay, and customs was a big hassle even which corm you had to use. Now, everything is pre-filled, print sign, affix and you are done! Plus you get small discounts via eBay (better discounts on domestic). Also, too many people default USPS International Priority. If package is small, 4lbs or less, it can usually go International Parcel Post for even less. 

I have sold across the globe. My worst shipping experience shave actually been with eBay Standard International Shipping. The thing of nightmares!

Message 5 of 17
latest reply

@disneyshopper just for the record, if you use eBay for labels customs forms are automatically created no hassle whatsoever. To the buyer here, I hear your pain. 

I do use ebay for labels, and I do ship internationally.  I know that ebay automatically prints the customs labels, but there are still a few things that need to be entered.  I'm guessing some sellers don't even want to deal with that bit of work

disneyshopper

Message 6 of 17
latest reply

If it costs more for a buyer to purchase from a seller using GSP, it's NOT a bonus feature, well at least not for the buyer.

Yes, it costs the buyer more to purchase from a seller using the GSP, as buyer has to pay shipping to Erlanger, KY, shipping to their destination country, customs, duties/fees.

disneyshopper

Message 7 of 17
latest reply

Canada duty free has been changed to $150 but GSP is still collecting duty and most likely keeping it as a fee for processing brokerage. I now look for sellers who do not use the GSP.  eBay`s new shipping system is way to high and I`m sure sellers will  figure that out soon with no sales.

Message 8 of 17
latest reply

As a buyer I pretty much refuse to buy anything that comes through GSP as it is generally exhorbitantly expensive. If it is some high value item where the extra shipping cost doesn't bother me I guess I will still buy it - but for common items or lower price range there is no way I will buy anything that is shipped through GSP (or any of the other eBay repackaging services). I have in total bought one item over the years through GSP and that came with a USD 50 shipping fee that would have been about USD 15 if sent by USPS with tracking.

It is a convenient thing for inexperienced sellers that do not know how (or want to) ship internationally.

Message 9 of 17
latest reply

I have shipped by calling ebay and telling them I would not use global shipping on this item and then getting a shipping est at USPS for their country, billing them and then filling out the forms and shipping.

Yes, this is extra work for the seller but if I was buying something out of the US, I would not want to pay Ebay global shipping prices.

Message 10 of 17
latest reply

I still have a package being processed in Kentucky , the seller shipped on the 9th September and it still hasn't left the US.  Global shipping is far to expensive and slow, I won't be paying for this again, I will find a seller who uses regular International  USPS .

Message 11 of 17
latest reply

An alternative for US sellers to ship internationally and print labels including customs forms:

pirateship.com They import your orders from ebay and post

back the tracking numbers. You can also purchase insurance for

both domestic and int'l orders (read the exclusions). You can ask

them to sign you up for their export international rate and you get

25-30% cheaper prices than ebay on lighter parcels (up to 4 lbs).

Their customer service is outstanding, email replies within 24

hours and a real chat. You can easily reprint your labels if needed

and when you are finished you can generate the SCAN form (and

easily reprint it if needed). You can use you CC to pay for the

labels, earning extra % on your CC purchases.

Message 12 of 17
latest reply

You know I understand why some sellers opt for the global shipping. The problem is that he who receives the service should be paying the fee.  If the sellers had to pay for this service, there would be no global shipping.

Message 13 of 17
latest reply

@one2 wrote:

You know I understand why some sellers opt for the global shipping. The problem is that he who receives the service should be paying the fee.  If the sellers had to pay for this service, there would be no global shipping.

Or you wont have any sellers willing to ship International ,like myself.

Message 14 of 17
latest reply

@solidguitar1961 wrote:

@one2 wrote:

Or you wont have any sellers willing to ship International ,like myself.

ANY? Rather all inclusive and wrong. Like @martin2001 I use Pirateship exclusively for all my shipping.

I gladly and willingly accept ALL international sales and quote shipping charges to my international buyers at the lesser of the Pirateship quotes. I never use eBay's international service or quotes.

Message 15 of 17
latest reply