cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Returning a faulty item

Hi,

First time using the forum, but I have no idea where else to go.
I ordered an item, paid for it USD$50, and it was delivered. The item was faulty.

I contacted the seller, who said return it for a refund. I got a quote for shipping it back to them, USD$82. Seller refused to pay return shipping until they got the item back, so I contacted ebay. They said the seller cannot provide a return label for my location, so contact the seller to arrange return shipping. The seller stuck with the we'll pay you back when it gets here line.

Seeing no other choice,  I shipped it back at my cost, untracked.

This was over a month ago now. They keep claiming that the item never arrived. I asked ebay to step in, and they said that since the item wasn't tracked, they won't step in, closing the case/return claim saying that I won't get a refund.

I went to my postal service, and they are investigating. They send a letter to the seller asking them for written confirmation of non-delivery (proves that the address is real, and that the parcel didn't arrive). It is the last week that they will expect a reply from the seller, but the seller has told me that this letter has not arrived to date.

I appealled to ebay's decision to close the case. They dismissed it out of hand.

I tried to place negative feedback, but the option to do so expires after 60 days. ebay says they send you a message regarding this, but they dont.

I emailed ebay again, as the seller has still not paid for return shipping, which ebay's Terms and Conditions says that they should. If nothing else, I expect that much. Especially since, if they had paid for return shipping, they would have their **bleep** tracking number.

ebay then said that yes, I'm right, but because I sent the item back, they cannot hold the seller accountable anymore. They say I should have contacted them first before sending the item back (which I did).

Here's the kicker: They say that's the last response that I will get on the issue.
What the hell? What happened to the ebay money back guarantee? here's what the ebay returns says:

Things to keep in mind:

• Request a return by the time specified in the Return policy section of the listing.

• If we ask you to contact the seller, work with the seller directly and follow their return instructions.

What can I do?

Message 1 of 17
latest reply
16 REPLIES 16

Re: Returning a faulty item

wow.

Firstly, I bought what I bought, because there wasn't a local alternative.

Secondly, I'm not in the US. I'm on an Island in the Pacific. Doesn't give a lot of choice/selection.

Thirdly, If I can find something that suits my needs, I don't mind paying more for it, to ensure it comes from somewhere like the States, where there is more buyer confidence. The cost of shipping isn't a deterrent. However, like you said, they get buried in the Chinese items listed.

Message 16 of 17
latest reply

Re: Returning a faulty item

Hi flareildor,

Sorry you had a bad experience, and sorry that you are getting a little abuse here .... there's a lot of animosity with the Chinese sellers on eBay for their practices.  And, even though there is that MBG on their listings, it is really hard to enforce on Chinese sellers.

The good news for buyers is that Chinese sellers are well-known for selling low-quality/defective products and fake/imitation products  Why is that good new?  Because their prices drive down the overall selling prices on eBay.  This means that as long as you don't buy from a China seller, you will probably enjoy a lower price from a reputable seller in the United States ... where the MBG is highly enforced.

Good news for buyers ... but, as sellers, we hate that the China sellers are allowed on eBay.

Message 17 of 17
latest reply