cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Return request - wrong item sent

What is the best practice when buyer requests return because the seller (me) sent the wrong item?  I would like to send the correct item out right away and enclose a return label for the wrong item I sent (return label would show seller as shipper and receiver) or is it best to have buyer get return label from ebay and wait until item shipped to send out correct item?  TIA

Message 1 of 5
latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

@me2u_or_u2me.

If you want to protect yourself DO NOT send the new item out until you have  the old item back in your hand.  You and eBay have no way to force a buyer to return something to you even if you send a label.  You are, at that point at the mercy of the buyer's conscience.

Might be the best approach to have the buyer go to the Resolution Center (link at bottom of this page) and file a case for Not As Described.  Once they do that you can issue a return label right away and when tracking shows it was delivered to you, then you refund.  Then have the buyer repurchase the item and this time send the right one.

Next I'm going to give you some advice from the Airline industry - you need to look long and hard in the mirror and figure out how this mistake happened.  Once you identify the cause and contributing factors you can make changes in the way you operate so it never happens again.  Just saying "I''ll be more careful next time" doesn't cut it.  What steps will you take to "be more careful?"  Will you create a check list to follow when shipping that lays out the checks needed so mistakes are avoided?

Message 2 of 5
latest reply

Depends on the price of the item and whether or not you trust the buyer. Just ask yourself if your didn't get the item back, how much would it hurt?

Thank you for the advise.  I will accept return.  One more question, once the return shipment is accepted by USPS and on it's way would it be OK to go ahead and send the replacement?  

Message 4 of 5
latest reply

Just to confirm, did the buyer ask for a replacement in the case? They had a choice between requesting a refund or asking for a replacement. If they requested a refund, then no, don't ship until you get the item back. Then, if they still want the item, follow @no_zero369 's advice.

You need to follow eBay's policies or you could end up with nothing. Read the instruction on how to offer a replacement or exchange here: https://www.ebay.com/help/selling/managing-returns-refunds/handle-return-request-seller?id=4115&st=1...