cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Print listing button gone ! Why ? ? ?

As long as I can remember ..   There was a "button" about 1/3 of the way down the listing (just above the description, on the right side)  that allowed you to choose one of 3 options for printing out your item listing.  

I always printed out a copy of the listing and included it in the package with the item.  Today I went to do the same thing and the "Print" button was gone.   Why ?   This tool is of GREAT use.  I used it for EVERY sale I made.  I called eBay customer service and they had no answer.   The only suggestion was to do use the  "Print Screen" option on my computer.   This isn't as good as the eBay Print Listing because it includes info that isn't useful to the buyer and it doesn't leave the proper space I used to mark the item Paid In Full and a Thank You for your purchase note. 

How can I / we let eBay know how important this button was ?  Any suggestions ?  

Thanks in Advance,

Message 1 of 294
latest reply
293 REPLIES 293

Re: Print listing button gone ! Why ? ? ?

Maybe I am the only one but the javascript workaround for the Print button is no longer working again. Ebay may have changed something like last time and an adjustement was needed. Can someone please revise the script and post. Thanks. This workaround has been wonderful. Thanks to all who designed it.

Message 286 of 294
latest reply

This is the scriplet that I use since a while now:

javascript:window.location.href='http://' + document.domain.replace(/^\w+\./,'cgi.') + '/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rt=nc&print=all&' + (x=document.documentElement.innerHTML).match(/&(item=\d+)/)[1] + '&si=' + x.concat(document.documentElement.textContent).match(/&(amp;)?si=(.{27,81}\x253D)/)[2]

Note: Because of a quirk of this forum's code parsing routine you need to replace  :  after the first word 'javascript' with a plain old  :  (a colon character) before saving the bookmarklet in your browser.

Message 287 of 294
latest reply

Thanks but it is not working for me.  I did the ":" change. Is the smiley wink for real??

Message 288 of 294
latest reply

@pradikat wrote:

Thanks but it is not working for me.  I did the ":" change. Is the smiley wink for real??

**bleep**.... No the smiley shouldn't be there...
Ebay, really? Is it that hard to keep your hands of working stuff (in this case the <CODE> tag)?!!!

Apparently that smiley thing is 'new', yet another new quirk and bug from eBay...
So far for the <CODE> tag which is suppose to literally show you code and not parse anything at all.
(and even if you would copy that code with smiley, they screw it up too: instead of literally copying the underlying code of the smiley, they replace it with the text "Wink Smiley")
(almost as bad as facebook..... programmers these days are way overpayed and/or standards are not what they used to be if you ask me *sigh*)

So, anyways, enough rant....
Since eBay continues to screw stuff up, I'll use PasteBin.
Here you can copy the proper code:
https://pastebin.com/Q2sv8ru2

Message 289 of 294
latest reply

Your rant is appreciated.  It works on most item page links and that's good enough for me. Your input is a G-dsend to rational, normal ebay users.  Thanks!!

Message 290 of 294
latest reply

Hi kurtrobear,

I swear, the javascript link stopped working again. It was kind of sporadic after the last update (via the pastbin link) but now, zilch. Any ideas?? Thanks SO MUCH!

Lar

Message 291 of 294
latest reply

@pradikat wrote:

Hi kurtrobear,

I swear, the javascript link stopped working again. It was kind of sporadic after the last update (via the pastbin link) but now, zilch. Any ideas?? Thanks SO MUCH!

Lar

Correct.

eBay has indeed once again changed some things (the "si" parameter which that script/method depends on, is no longer always listed in the source of the page. As such, for those item pages (mostly all BINs style auctions), the bookmarklet can't find it anymore and thus it can't construct the proper URL to go to.

But there is also some good news though....

I've made a bookmarklet script which has a far more complicated script than before, which works in all kind of conditions and even works on pages like the "Order Report" page....It also stores the latest found "si" parameter in a cookie, so it can be used later when there is no "si" parameter listed anymore in the the source, like with BIN (Buy It Now) style auctions.

But before I paste that, I have to say that the original/old method of manually constructing the URL to get the "Print button/link" back, also seems to be working again!!!..... It even works for closed listings too if you add another parameter ("orig_cvip=true")!!!!!!!!!!!:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItemVersion&orig_cvip=true&item=xxxxxx

where xxxxxx needs to be replaced with the item number, will once again give you the item page with the "Print" button/link where it used to be, on the right side of the page, next to the "Report item" button/link.

But, this said, and while doing the research (if you can call it that), I accidently noticed that the "Print" button/link seems to be back for certain active items (not all)!!!???? Can anyone confirm that??

Either way, it still isn't there in closed listings though, and it also doesn't always seem to be there. But I swear I saw it couple of times lately.

SO, the above URL workaround can again be used.

The more complicated bookmarklet/script I'll post later (time has run out here, need to get back to work), but for the time being you could use the manual workaround with the above link. Hope that helps a bit......

Message 292 of 294
latest reply

Hey Kurt. 

OK . I will wait!  Where do you add the ("orig_cvip=true") to make the old one work with closed listing? Thx

Larry

Message 293 of 294
latest reply

Hello Everyone,

Due to the age of the thread, it has been closed to further replies.  Please feel free to start a new thread if you wish to continue to discuss this topic.

Thanks for understanding!

Message 294 of 294
latest reply