cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Premature Refund

Sold an item, did everything like we always do.  Made shipping label through the eBay service, USPS Media Mail, tracking number provided (as always) to me and TO THE BUYER.  Buyer was monitoring it, it was running late (as is everything because of Covid), said still in transit (buyer was watching it and recited to me what the tracking number showed), I was looking at it, too.  Told buyer who had opened a case that everything was taking longer (as per the actual post office) because of Covid, and let's watch the tracking a little longer...so...buyer requests refund, eBay refunds them out of my Paypal, and I started an appeal, to which they told me:  I HAD NOT PROVIDED TRACKING, AND I SHOULD USE A RELIABLE DELIVERY SERVICE.......... Not so much as a suggestion to try and track it, not acknowledging buyer and selling protections, just took the money out of my account, and washed their hands of me.  I think there's something wrong with this picture.  And then furthermore, they said maybe if the buyer received the item, I MIGHT COULD GET MY MONEY BACK FROM THEM.  This is like nothing that eBay has ever done, that I've ever heard of.  I've been selling since 2004.  And implying that the USPS is not a reliable delivery service?  Has this ever happened to anyone else?  I am sickened over this.

Message 1 of 15
latest reply
14 REPLIES 14

Re: Premature Refund

@urbanroundup 

Media Mail is terrible right now and I wouldn't use it.

If buyer filed an INR and tracking doesn't show it being delivered and it's past the estimated delivery date, they will refund the buyer from your account.

Have a great day
Message 2 of 15
latest reply

Yes, as kensgiftshop stated, "media mail is terrible right now." Particularly do to all the mail in ballot issues. Not to mention everything else going on. This type of postage gets low priority. 

Sorry, I hope when it shows delivered,  and you ask the buyer to refund that they are good humans.

Best to you and your future sales.

Happy Almost Thanksgiving, 

Grandma 

Message 3 of 15
latest reply

@urbanroundup wrote:

. . . I started an appeal, to which they told me:  I HAD NOT PROVIDED TRACKING, AND I SHOULD USE A RELIABLE DELIVERY SERVICE.

Just a couple of questions:

1. Did you purchase the label through eBay?
  2. Did you enter the tracking number into your buyer's INR case?
Message 4 of 15
latest reply

This is like nothing that eBay has ever done, that I've ever heard of.  I've been selling since 2004.  And implying that the USPS is not a reliable delivery service?  Has this ever happened to anyone else?  I am sickened over this.

Actually, that has been ebay's attitude for years.  Slow delivery is  the seller's fault (according to ebay) due to the seller picking the shipping carrier.  They did make some minor concessions for sellers due to the virus situation, but I believe they were rescinded a few weeks ago.  

Looks like the new improved simplified and streamlined "keep the buyer happy" enhancement program is now in full swing. 

Sorry this happened to you, and hopefully your buyer will repay you when the item arrives. 

Message 5 of 15
latest reply

@urbanroundup wrote:

buyer requests refund, eBay refunds them out of my Paypal, and I started an appeal, to which they told me:  I HAD NOT PROVIDED TRACKING, AND I SHOULD USE A RELIABLE DELIVERY SERVICE.......... Not so much as a suggestion to try and track it, not acknowledging buyer and selling protections, just took the money out of my account, and washed their hands of me.

Unless the tracking confirmed delivery you appealed prematurely. Since eBay forced the refund you can appeal with 30 days, but unless tracking confirms delivery you'll lose.

GLORIOUS!

Confused about the switch to eBay discounted shipping? Read this discussion to make an informed decision about opt in / opt out.
Message 6 of 15
latest reply

Yes, I always do my labels through eBay.  And the tracking number was already posted on the day it was made.  And I always use the postal service.

Message 7 of 15
latest reply

Yes, it seems that eBay is more concerned about the buyer in many cases.  But they can't exist without the sellers.  I'm concerned that this will keep happening.

Message 8 of 15
latest reply

And in addition, their canned flip response...you need to use a reliable shipping service (uh, not the postal service, huh, what am I supposed to do, find somebody in a back alley and pay him for the drop?), and...maybe (if you're lucky), the buyer will refund your money when they get the package (and they will), hahahaha!  Good luck with that!  The whole thing just reeks.

Message 9 of 15
latest reply

It's the power of P & P at work:

Politics and Profit

Ebay is involved in both of those things.

Message 10 of 15
latest reply

Been there done this. Out item and refunded money....

And Yes USPS is no longer reliable in the lower class shipping. Even Priority is a mess.

Oh and make sure you take all items to the PO and have them scanned in: (that is a service they are messing up with dropped off, of course never arrived, if not scanned in: it don't exist to the PO).

Once the tracking showed delivered: you can try an appeal if it is with in eBay's  supposed reasonable shipping time you should win.

Message 11 of 15
latest reply

@urbanroundup wrote:

Yes, I always do my labels through eBay.  And the tracking number was already posted on the day it was made.  And I always use the postal service.

Having the tracking number on the order and separately uploading it to the case are 2 different actions. The poster was asking you if you uploaded tracking to the INR case. You don't have to upload tracking to the case, but you do have to respond within the case. Uploading tracking is one way to do that. Sending the buyer a response within the case is another way to do that.

GLORIOUS!

Confused about the switch to eBay discounted shipping? Read this discussion to make an informed decision about opt in / opt out.
Message 12 of 15
latest reply

It's actually happening a LOT.  Scammers are well aware of the issues and using it as just another opportunity. Despite their claim eBay is as guilty in this as anyone, maybe more so. They, eBay, are the ones that put the delivery date out there in the first place and use it as Holy writ but they are holding the sellers accountable and not the carrier. I have complained about this issue before simply because eBay has absolutely NO, nada, zilch control over the carrier. The only thing eBay should be concerned with is that the seller got the shipping information uploaded and into eBay on-time. After that they need to get out of the way. 

Message 13 of 15
latest reply

Not so sure about the drop but you could probably find somebody in a back alley that could either get your package or your money back for a small fee. 

Message 14 of 15
latest reply

BOHICA

Message 15 of 15
latest reply