cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Possible Scam returning their broken item, not mine

I recentley sold a Franklin Mint Replica truck.  I wrapped it in the original packing (took pictures as I went along), double boxed it and shipped it Prioriy Mail.  The buyer, who has an excellent rating, claims that it was damaged.  The very poor photos he sent me show two tires off a truck.  He said the shipping boxes were not damaged but suspects that maybe someone slammed the box down and broke the axle.  I'm not buying it.  Since he sells the same manufacturer, I suspect that he had a broken copy of the same truck and is now looking for an even better deal on the price.  He wants 50% off the paid price.  If it was damaged in shipping, wouldn't USPS pay for it (he paid $50 so that would work in his favor).  

What should I do?

Message 1 of 12
latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

Re: Possible Scam returning their broken item, not mine

Given ebay's pro-buyer bias, you have no choice.    Tell the buyer you are sorry about the damage and he should return the item for a full refund.   Send him a pre-paid return label.

He clearly doesn't want to return it else why ask for a 50% partial?   So by calling his bluff you either will get his broken one back or he will let the matter drop.

If you get his broken one back,  you should file fraud reports with your police, his police, www.ic3.gov and mail fraud with USPS.   Also report the buyer problem to ebay.   Armed with all those report numbers, call ebay CS and have the case closed in your favor.

Message 2 of 12
latest reply

@linda*spushcart wrote:

I recentley sold a Franklin Mint Replica truck.  I wrapped it in the original packing (took pictures as I went along), double boxed it and shipped it Prioriy Mail.  The buyer, who has an excellent rating, claims that it was damaged.  The very poor photos he sent me show two tires off a truck.  He said the shipping boxes were not damaged but suspects that maybe someone slammed the box down and broke the axle.  I'm not buying it.  Since he sells the same manufacturer, I suspect that he had a broken copy of the same truck and is now looking for an even better deal on the price.  He wants 50% off the paid price.  If it was damaged in shipping, wouldn't USPS pay for it (he paid $50 so that would work in his favor).  

What should I do?

If you shipped priority you have $100 of insurance. Tell him to cooperate with the insurance claim.

If he is a scammer he'll want to avoid a trail back to him that ebay can see.

Message 3 of 12
latest reply

I doubt USPS insurance would pay as the outer box was undamaged. 

Message 4 of 12
latest reply

"If you shipped priority you have $100 of insurance"

Why do you think that?

Message 5 of 12
latest reply

I just looked that one up.  Top rated sellers with commercial plus get $100 worth of insurance when shipping USPS Priority Mail.  

In my case, the buyer is a top seller, don't know about the other part.  I am not.

Message 6 of 12
latest reply

I'm thinking of having him send the truck back.  True, getting $25 for it is better than getting $0 it just really irks me.  

These are the photos that he sent to me:

Message 7 of 12
latest reply

All buyers have 100% positive feedback.

CW4PWK--Taji,Iraq-42404
'They won't get it all, and they won't have it long.'

'You gotta see those creeps crawl...' Echo & the Bunnymen-"Crocodiles'
Message 8 of 12
latest reply

Domestic Priority Mail shipments are covered w/$50 loss/damage insurance by USPS for everybody.  The insurance coverage is for the benefit of the seller not buyer.  So you would need to make the  claim t oUSPS.  But  supporting evidence of the claim may be required - pics that  clearly show the shipping lable affixed to the  box and the box,  packing material and product  damage - all pics would need to much clearer than any of  the pics you posted.  Or the buyer  could take all of the previous mentioned stuff to there local PO - I get a feeling this  buyer woudl be willing to co-operate.  having the damaged it shipped backed to you could  possibly void any insurance coverage.

"I have the right to remain silent but I didn't have the ability." Ron White, Fritch, Texas
"Stay away from negative people, they have a problem for every solution." A. Einstein
The Devil made me do it! - Flip Wilson
If the band can only play loud - they ain't no good - peps too J.R. Johnson
Message 9 of 12
latest reply

The box was not damaged but the truck was seriously **bleep**ed up? Really? What a scammer. This is so wrong. I’d keep an eye on his listings, and block. 

Message 10 of 12
latest reply

He needs to fill out a damage claim form at local USPS office.

Message 11 of 12
latest reply

@usasoutheast wrote:

He needs to fill out a damage claim form at local USPS office.

@usasoutheast The seller files the claim and it can be done Online. The buyer should never be instructed to file the claim. 

One life is all we have to live
Love is all we have to give

**Formerly known as MissJen316**
Message 12 of 12
latest reply