cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Porch pirates

How do you protect yourself from shipping an item and having it stolen by porch pirates, or the buyer just claiming that it was?  Do you always ship items with a signature required?

Message 1 of 34
latest reply
33 REPLIES 33

Re: Porch pirates

@simba6 wrote:

You only have to show it was delivered by the tracking number.  Any loss after that is the buyers problem not yours.

I suggest all people use the empty box they receive for trash and keep it on their porch.  In time pirates will get tired of finding garbage in packages and might cut back on thefts.  Open it from the bottom to not damage the labels.

Long video but well worth the watch, glitter vs porch pirate

https://youtu.be/a_TSR_v07m0

Message 16 of 34
latest reply

Put one of those bank robber dye packs in it.

he/him/guy/dude...you get the picture
Message 17 of 34
latest reply

It's, as a seller, not your problem 😞

It's really up to the buyer to make sure deliveries are delivered to a secure location... whether it's a PO Box, or instructions with the delivery service, like, "leave at back door" or something like that

Message 18 of 34
latest reply

As long as it shows delivered on the tracking you are good.  I do use signature deliveries for items over $100 but it does frustrate buyers who have to be there when their package arrives.... I tell them it's so the porch pirates don't steal the package but they don't care, until it does not show up, then they care...

Message 19 of 34
latest reply

@whattheactualfox wrote:

If I had a mail theft problem this is what I would do

Tell the buyer to file a police report on the missing package since it is mail theft. As a seller, you are not responsible for the package once the mail carrier takes the package. If the buyer tries to open an INR case they technically can't because if you had tracking on the package and show ebay the item number, they will see that it was delivered to the residence.

Depending on the post, items are automatically insured up to a dollar amount. You can buy insurance to cover to x amount of dollars. I usually insure if the item is 100 dollars or above. Anything over 500 I require a signature.

I know this will sound harsh, but If they ask for a refund, I wouldn't accept because it was not your fault that the package was allegedly stolen. People usually say that and then get a free item, others may be honest, but there's no real way of knowing. 

I hope this answered your question OP. If you need me to clarify anything let me know 🙂

Just adding that if the package is showed delivered and then is stolen, insurance can't collected.

When you dine with leopards, it is wise to check the menu lest you find yourself as the main course.

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 20 of 34
latest reply

There is no refund to a buyer for a stolen package here. It is THEIR responsibility to pick up their packages, have a safe place to ship them. You enter the delivery scan tracking number and then you are done. You can tell them to check with neighbors or get a GPS location of the item that was delivered, if you want to be more helpful.

Message 21 of 34
latest reply

Actually ebay has decided in favor of the buyer the two times this has happend to us

Message 22 of 34
latest reply

@nwcollectables25 

Did your buyer open a not received case with eBay?

Or did they do a chargeback with their cc?

Did you provide tracking (payment < $750) or signature confirmation (payment ≥ $750)

that showed delivery?

Message 23 of 34
latest reply

Insurance will NOT pay if tracking shows delivered.

Message 25 of 34
latest reply

@fs31517111 wrote:

How do you protect yourself from shipping an item and having it stolen by porch pirates, or the buyer just claiming that it was?  Do you always ship items with a signature required?

Obviously this is aimed at the buyer, not the seller, and depends on how much of a problem it has been.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2303516.m570.l1313&_nkw=Elephantrunk&_sacat=0

And although they don't mention it it would be advisable to bolt it down.

And I am sure some handy craftspeople could make their own customized unit probably for less money..

I have even seen some that cut into the wall so the package is retrieved from inside the house. That way there is no thought of a thief making off with the whole unit.

Message 26 of 34
latest reply

As a seller, your responsibility for delivery and/or the safety of the item from theft ends when tracking shows delivery.

It's the buyer's responsibility to make sure he has a secure place for his items to be delivered.

Some buyers have gotten a PO box for that purpose.  

Message 27 of 34
latest reply

@fs31517111 wrote:

Although there are buyers who may disagree, I believe that signature-required shipping is beneficial, especially for high-value items.  I have been VERY grateful for sellers who have used USPS Priority Mail with signature confirmation for shipping my high-priced purchases, and I am wiling to pay for this service in order to protect my purchases.  I would rather have to go to the Post Office to pick-up and sign-for my package, even during the pandemic, than have a high-value purchase stolen by a porch pirate. 

Many folks do not seem to realize that they can arrange for packages to be held for delivery at another time as well as arrange to have all packages held at the Post Office for later pick-up.  Choosing one of these options is far better than allowing porch pirates to steal packages.  I do not view delayed delivery or having to go to the Post Office as an inconvenience if I can have my packages rather than the packages being stolen by porch pirates.

I say this as a buyer — I am not a seller.

Message 28 of 34
latest reply

Here is my take on it:

1.2 Carrier Release Endorsement for Parcels

The carrier release endorsement “CARRIER — LEAVE IF NO RESPONSE” instructs carriers to leave the parcel if no one is available to accept the parcel or when the addressee has filed a written order to allow a carrier to leave the par­cel. A parcel may be left in an unprotected location, such as a stairway or uncovered porch, only when it bears the “CARRIER — LEAVE IF NO RESPONSE” endorsement. The endorsement must appear directly to the left of the postage area (preferred) or directly below the return address as specified in 102.4.3 and 402.3.3. A carrier release endorsement may be used on only:

a. Uninsured parcels

b. Parcels that do not require a signature

My take is that a carrier is not supposed to leave a package on your front porch, this is an unprotected location. Unless the package bears the endorsement: Carrier: leave if no response. 

Packages that I have recently received that have been left on my porch all bear this endorsement. 

If the carrier leaves absent this endorsement and the recipient does not have on file a notice that it is ok to leave a package in an unprotected location, the carrier bears the responsibility. Somewhere in the DMM it spells this out, that the endorsement relieves the carrier from liability. 

Message 29 of 34
latest reply

Zombie thread from 2021.

Coffee is my friend.

T&S Tool #10mm ratchet
Message 30 of 34
latest reply