cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Packing Slip

Hi, I'm a new seller and just got my first sale! So, I've printed out my own shipping label that I created and thought I should put a Packing Slip inside the box, and would like to get an idea of what comments other sellers use. I understand that eBay provides a packing slip if you've purchased a shipping label through them; I need to research that further but for now, I've created my own mailing label.

Naturally, a "Thank You for Your Purchase" is necessary, and since I do not have a business, I would not be saying "thank you for your business". What else would be appropriate? Should I repeat my NO RETURNS policy? Should I invite the buyer to contact me regarding any problems with the shipment or product? Should I ask for their feedback? Should it just be a simple thank you for your purchase? Thank you for any helpful suggestions or recommendations.

Message 1 of 12
latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

Re: Packing Slip

First, if you bought your own shipping label, do not forget to upload the tracking number to ebay. 

You can still print a packing slip from ebay whether you print an ebay label or not.

For a simple no detail label print it from the upper right of the create label page.

To print a detailed and customized one select it in the drop down menu next to the item on the bulk shipping page.  You can customize this one with whatever details you like, including adding a logo and other options.

Note that No Returns, does not mean No Refund, if the product is not as described.  Also No Returns is seen by ebay as you don't want the item back, and you then risk having a refund made without your item being returned first.

Message 2 of 12
latest reply

@10forgetmenots @rfmtm 

I put in a packing slip and add a handwritten thank you.

I used to use the logo option. That is gone now unless you have an eBay store. [Clearly somebody has over thought this feature and crossed the "do no harm" threshold.]

Now I print my logo (which includes my phone number and email) on a blank piece of paper and then use that paper to print the packing slip. 

Mike

Screen Shot 2021-07-07 at 9.30.16 AM.png

Message 3 of 12
latest reply

Congratulations! I'd not include a packing slip, I'd not mention 'No Returns', I'd not ask for their feedback. Less is more.

But that's just me...

Message 4 of 12
latest reply

Out of probably close to 10,000 sales, I have never, not once, used a packing slip. In fact, most of our items were pre-packaged and sealed so when they sold all we had to do was print a label and slap it on.

As a buyer, I have never looked at or read a packing slip. YMMV.

Message 5 of 12
latest reply

I can count on one hand how many times I used a packing slip and the only reason was because the box contained multiple different items in multiple quantities so it helped the buyer inventory the items.

This is extremely rare though.

he/him/guy/dude...you get the picture
Message 6 of 12
latest reply

While many here don't use a packing slip, most companies still do.

1.  Helps you make sure you pack the right items.

2.  Helps buyer to check that he got what he ordered.

3. Provides  a backup address if the outside label is damaged when carrier looks inside for one.

4. Provides a good place to add your ad, website address, discount coupon, etc.

Since the packing list opens in PDF.  You can easily use the "Add Comment" option when Adobe opens the label to insert, logos, messages, etc., that otherwise may not be available from ebay.

Message 7 of 12
latest reply

I can't even find the item I just sold, never mind the packing slip!  Why doe eBay make selling so hard????

Message 8 of 12
latest reply

@rfmtm wrote:

While many here don't use a packing slip, most companies still do.

1.  Helps you make sure you pack the right items.

2.  Helps buyer to check that he got what he ordered.

3. Provides  a backup address if the outside label is damaged when carrier looks inside for one.

4. Provides a good place to add your ad, website address, discount coupon, etc.

Since the packing list opens in PDF.  You can easily use the "Add Comment" option when Adobe opens the label to insert, logos, messages, etc., that otherwise may not be available from ebay.

@10forgetmenots 

@rfmtm 

@varebelrose 

@mtgraves7984 

From past work experience being in warehousing and distribution I have ALWAYS included a packing slip. Helps buyer know they got what they ordered and from who they got it from. (Helps reduce risk of buyer leaving wrong feedback for wrong purchase if they ordered from multiple sellers. Also a good idea to include when shipping internationally for customs purposes in those cases where items get inspected. Tells them you have sent what you said you sent. For courier shipments its standard business practice to include a packing slip with a commercial invoice. For anyone concerned about ink, you can always shrink it down. My 2 cents on the subject...Canadian funds!!  Not all but many buyers will appreciate the effort. 

-Lotzofuniquegoodies

As a side I ship often to businesses. Many still need a paper copy for receiving purposes.

Message 9 of 12
latest reply

It can help the buyer know what seller shipped what.  If they purchased the same item from more than one seller they will know from who it came.

As for the no returns, you do know it means nothing?   All a buyer has to say are three magic words and your refunding.   " not as described "

Message 10 of 12
latest reply

I always send a packing slip with a handwritten thank you and a message asking them to let me know if there are any concerns or questions.  Perhaps it isn't always necessary but some people do make a lot of similar purchases and if there is a problem, it is nice for them to have the seller's info with the package.

Message 11 of 12
latest reply

There are both operations preferences and personality differences which affect the use and contents of packing slips/

I always use a packing slip. It serves as my pick ticket. Nothing would get shipped without some form of pick ticket. Some days shipments are low and I could do without it, but I do not.

As for messages, some sellers care a great deal, I do not. I use the Ebay default message and have no clue what it says, and am not going to read it.

A quick look at your listings suggests you will not see a large percentage of repeat buyers either.

If you are shipping to a business with a receiving department, not having a packing slip can create issues. If you are shipping to Aunt Nellie and Uncle Festus, it may not matter to them. Uncle Festus might appreciate an unpriced packing slip so Aunt Nellie would not know what he has spent, or visa-versa. I do not care - I used the Ebay default priced packing slip.

I do my best to make my shipments look like they care from a large, impersonal company to discourage any post sales communications. Although I have some great repeat buyers, the mass of my buyers are never going to do business with me again because I am unlikely to have another other item they wish to own.

Message 12 of 12
latest reply