cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Package shipped Nov. 8th still "in transit to next facility"

I sold an item on Nov. 7th and shipped it out Nov. 8th by USPS Ground Advantage. I used an eBay label like I always do which comes with tracking and insurance. The past 3 updates on the tracking have been only this:

Nov 12, 2023

12:00am
In Transit to Next Facility, Arriving On Time

Nov 10, 2023

Nov 9, 2023

A couple days ago the latest update changed to:

"Your package will arrive later than expected, but is still on its way. It is currently in transit to the next facility."

The latest dated update on USPS website says:

Moving Through Network

In Transit to Next Facility, Arriving Late

November 12, 2023

I contacted the buyer and told them about the delay notification from the USPS and said I would keep an eye on the tracking for anymore updates and if I don't get one soon I would see what I can do next. So my question is, if I don't get an update on the tracking soon, what should I do next? I just want to make sure I go through the proper steps in case something is wrong with the shipment. The package did not have to travel far, only 1 state away from me. That is also why I am a bit concerned on why it has not been delivered yet, or why I have not received anymore updates since the 12th if something is wrong with the shipment. Thanks for any information anyone can provide.

Message 1 of 27
latest reply
26 REPLIES 26

Re: Package shipped Nov. 8th still "in transit to next facility"

I don't know where your package is headed but I had one sit in St. Louis for two weeks. Missouri seems to be having a lot of issues due to staffing, and I think that's the same in many other states as well. It will get there eventually. Mine was just delivered yesterday, and I mailed it from here on the 4th, so fingers crossed yours gets moving too. 

Message 16 of 27
latest reply

Yea, you just never know whats going on once the package leaves your home. I'm basically just waiting for an update on the tracking after starting the missing mail search for the package. Its been 2 days now and there have been no updates. I've never done this before so I have no idea how long this process takes. The package I shipped only had to travel 1 state over so for there to be no updated movement on the tracking since Nov. 8th has me concerned. Its just a waiting game now. I feel like soon I should issue a refund to the buyer but I want to wait and see if this missing mail search produces an update on the tracking.

Message 17 of 27
latest reply

It will move eventually. I think it was two holiday seasons ago I had 14 open missing mail cases with the USPS. All of them were resolved. I've found that just opening a case may get it moving again. It can take up to a week for them to respond, especially at this time of year when the packages increase. Just wait it out and let your customer know that you are keeping an eye on it. 

Message 18 of 27
latest reply

So at what point should I submit an insurance claim with USPS for this? The package was shipped Nov. 8th and there were no updates past that evening when it departed my local post office other than an automated "in transit to next facility" on Nov. 12. I submitted a missing mail search request  on Nov. 16th and have not received any updates from that yet either. I haven't been able to find a step by step process with this situation so I don't know when I should submit an insurance claim for my package.

Message 19 of 27
latest reply

So far the buyer has not opened a case for this. I have stayed in contact with them for several days now. Its been 6 days since I opened a missing mail search with no updates. I was thinking of asking the buyer if they would prefer me to just issue a full refund and me update the mail search to have the package returned to me if it is found. Should I just keep waiting since the buyer has not opened a case?

I have no idea how long missing mail searches take, or the time frame for when some kind of update is provided for them. I want to complete this transaction which is why I thought about issuing a refund and having the package returned to me if it is found. I think the package is lost and won't be recovered but I don't know for sure if that will happen. If it is lost I can file an insurance claim with the included $100 insurance on the label but before I do that I want to make sure the buyer has their refund. So should I just keep waiting or go ahead and issue a refund?

Message 20 of 27
latest reply

@casey-86 wrote:

So at what point should I submit an insurance claim with USPS for this? The package was shipped Nov. 8th and there were no updates past that evening when it departed my local post office other than an automated "in transit to next facility" on Nov. 12. I submitted a missing mail search request  on Nov. 16th and have not received any updates from that yet either. I haven't been able to find a step by step process with this situation so I don't know when I should submit an insurance claim for my package.

You can't do anything until at least 3 weeks have passed with no tracking updates showing movement. The USPS will not consider a package as being lost before then.

Message 21 of 27
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

I am having the same problem too with TWO packages and I feel absolutely helpless.

Message 22 of 27
latest reply

@yuzuha wrote:

@casey-86 wrote:

You can't do anything until at least 3 weeks have passed with no tracking updates showing movement. The USPS will not consider a package as being lost before then.

Well there haven't been any tracking updates since Nov. 12th and I'm not even sure if that particular update was from a scan or not. I keep reading the insurance claims should be filed as early as possible and don't recall seeing the 3 week time period that must pass before being able to do that. Does that just mean before they will settle the claim or accept the claim? I'm just ready to conclude this transaction with the buyer but I guess until they open a case all I can do is wait or ask them if they would prefer a refund over waiting.

Message 23 of 27
latest reply

Well I finally received an update on the tracking. It shows the package arrived at the New Orleans, LA distribution center 18 days after departing the post office, which by the way is only 1 hour from the post office it departed from on November 8th. I have no idea what took it so long to finally started moving. I'm just glad the package isn't lost and should hopefully be delivered in the next couple days if nothing else goes wrong. This is completely unacceptable on part of the USPS. I even opened a missing mail search request for this on the 16th and honestly I feel like if I hadn't the package may still be delayed or lost. I'm just glad the buyer was patient with me and just hope at this point it gets there in the condition it was shipped in.

Message 24 of 27
latest reply

I'm currently experiencing this from a buyer

Message 25 of 27
latest reply

So what happened at the end of the day 

Message 26 of 27
latest reply

Hi everyone,

Due to the age of this thread, it has been closed to further replies. Please feel free to start a new thread if you wish to continue to discuss this topic.

Thank you for understanding.

Message 27 of 27
latest reply