cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Opening a case about customs duties

Here is a description of the situation:

I messaged a seller before placing an order asking if he uses unregistered or registered mail to ship orders. I explained that I was asking, because orders sent with registered mail go trhough customs in my country, while those sent with unregistered don't.
The seller answered he only uses unregistered mail, so I procedeed with my order.
A few days forward I received my order via registered mail and I paid relatively high duties in order to get it.

So my answer is can i open a case against this seller? And what kind of a case? I know customs fees are paid by buyers, but I wouldn't have placed an order with him, if he had truthfully answered my question in the fisrt place.

Message 1 of 47
latest reply
46 REPLIES 46

Customs duty is the responsibility of the importer, that is you.  Not knowing what the item is or its value there is no way to know if the duty was assessed for more than it should have been.  That is something that you would need to discuss with your country's Customs Officials.

I'm afraid I don't quite understand the point you are trying to make about registered and unregistered mail and customs.  All goods being imported into a country are subject to that country's Customs' regulations regardless of the type of shipping used.  While registered mail may attract the attention of the Customs people more often, they have the right to check any package they wish and to levy such duty or tax as they see fit and your country's law permits.

You have no case to file against the seller.  

"It is an intelligent man that is aware of his own ignorance."
Message 2 of 47
latest reply

Well, it's simple. In Greece items shipped with unregistered mail (at least items of moderate size) never stop to customs office or to be more specific never get any extra charges. It's common knowledge shared in every Greek ebay buying guide, in forums etc. And I can personally confirm it. I have bought many items and this was the only time I got to pay customs fees, probably because of the use of registered mail.

While indeed I may not have a case, shouldn't the seller held responsible for lying and misinforming me?
I explicitly asked what kind of mail he was going to use before placing the order. If he had tell the truth I wouldn't buy from him. That simple. I didn't place the order and then tried to force him use unregistered mail. I asked before placing the order (mentioning in my message that I'm making this question because of customs fees) and he falsely assured me that he only uses unregistred mail, with no tracking available. When I received my order, I found out registered mail was used and a fully working tracking code was printed on the package. The seller never shared the tracking code with me, so I had no knowledge about it until receiving the package.

Message 3 of 47
latest reply

There is nothing you can do (no case you can file) against the seller.   But negative feedback would be more than appropriate IMO.     However I would reach out to the seller first and see if they offer a solution.   Just be careful -- do not demand a refund or even mention feedback.   Just tell them you are unhappy since they misrepresented the delivery method which in turn caused you additional fees and see what they say. 

Message 4 of 47
latest reply

There is no case to open nor complain about because as long as I've been an online Seller, Customs Duties and/or Taxes & VAT have always been the responsibility of the buyer, always.  Any negative FB would be or should be removed because I do not know of anyone Seller that knows the ins/outs of how Customs work for each and every international destination.  Insofar as requesting a refund, for what?  The customs fees?  

Although I no longer ship internationally anymore, any potential buyer that is asking me to lower the value of the item so that they do not have to pay Customs/VAT/Taxes, has me thinking that if that person would cheat their own government, that I could be treated the same.  

Message 5 of 47
latest reply

Any negative FB would be or should be removed because I do not know of anyone Seller that knows the ins/outs of how Customs work for each and every international destination.

OP's negative feedback would NOT be removed provided they don't mention custom fees (if you end up negging them OP do NOT mention customs fees). 

If I were the OP, I'd leave a neg:  "Buyer misrepresented method of shipping even after specifically asking". 

Why shouln't they neg the seller since they specifically asked about the service and the seller didn't ship the way they said they would? 

Message 6 of 47
latest reply

@green-night wrote:

Any negative FB would be or should be removed because I do not know of anyone Seller that knows the ins/outs of how Customs work for each and every international destination.

OP's negative feedback would NOT be removed provided they don't mention custom fees (if you end up negging them OP do NOT mention customs fees). 

If I were the OP, I'd leave a neg:  "Buyer misrepresented method of shipping even after specifically asking". 

Why shouln't they neg the seller since they specifically asked about the service and the seller didn't ship the way they said they would? 

Because as the title here suggests it's really about avoiding customs duties   

“Birth certificates show that you were born. Death certificates show that you died. Photographs show that you have lived.” -Unknown
Message 7 of 47
latest reply

@green-night

Thanks for your answer!
It's not in my character to threaten or pressure anyone, anyway! I will of course contact the seller and communicate my displeasure for this incident.

@postingid2017

What do you mean he didn't know? I message him beforhand explaining everything and his answer was he only ships with unregistered mail with no tracking. But that wasn't the case.
And what do you mean cheating the goverment? It's the goverments decision not to process small items that come with unregistered mail through customs. I know other countries following the same policy, not only Greece. I didn't ask him to declare false facts about the item or its price and I have never asked anyone else to do it.

Message 8 of 47
latest reply

Because as the title here suggests it's really about avoiding customs duties   

It doesn't matter.    The seller mispresented the method of shipping.    OP has a legitimate grievance. 

Message 9 of 47
latest reply

But had the seller sent it unregistered, he would have opened himself up for an INR claim

Seriously, sellers cant win! @green-night  and @costasathan thank you both for posting.

Message 10 of 47
latest reply

@sabrinmora-7

You're welcome!   Here is a novel idea as a seller:  Don't tell buyers you'll do one thing and then do exactly the opposite.  Not exactly a steller idea for "winning". 

Message 11 of 47
latest reply

@sabrinmora-7 I agree wholeheartedly.  I've seen some posts whereas shipping to Greece was an issue in delivery.  I never knew any shipper, whether it be here or Macy's, Walmart, etc., that the buyer dictates the shipping method - SMDH 😞  Another reason for me to add to my list why international shipping is a no go for me.  

Message 12 of 47
latest reply

While indeed I may not have a case, shouldn't the seller held responsible for lying and misinforming me?

Too funny.  You want the seller to be held responsible for lying, yet your complaint is that you were not able to avoid paying the applicable customs duties.

Why not just leave this one be.  The seller screwed up by not following through on the shipping method he claimed.  You screwed up by trying to get out of paying any fees on the package.  Call it even.

Message 13 of 47
latest reply

Too funny.  You want the seller to be held responsible for lying, yet your complaint is that you were not able to avoid paying the applicable customs duties.

The OP wanted the items shipped via  a method in which Greece would not impose a tax.   That is completely legitimate.    Why on earth shouldn't the OP want to avoid it?    Would you want to pay more than you had to unnecessarily? 

Message 14 of 47
latest reply

@postingid2017 wrote:

@sabrinmora-7 I agree wholeheartedly.  I've seen some posts whereas shipping to Greece was an issue in delivery.  I never knew any shipper, whether it be here or Macy's, Walmart, etc., that the buyer dictates the shipping method - SMDH 😞  Another reason for me to add to my list why international shipping is a no go for me.  

Why are you shaking your head?   The OP wasn't dictating anything.   They asked the seller BEFORE they purchases and the seller said it would be shipped unregistered.    How is the OP dictatiting shipping then? 

Message 15 of 47
latest reply