cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No returns Returns with expensive shipping Help?

Hi, I recently sold an expensive antique collectible instrument. In my description I stated No returns, please ask questions, request more pictures, etc. Sold as is.

After 2 weeks my buyer requests a refund. Ebay holds $802 from my paypal.

Now this is not my first problem with no refunds refunds on ebay, I know not to fight it because I will most likely never win. So I usually just suck it up and lose the money and try to get over it.

My question is this: Why do I have to pay shipping? I have to refund $47.77 for the first shipping, then issue a return label for $35 from ebay, so this buyer can window shop and try out my instrument?

How can I get back all these shipping charges? Even if the instrument is returned fin, I have to relist it and worry about this happening again? I can't afford to pay &85 for someone to check out my item. This can't be right?

Any help would be appreciated, Thanks

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

Well, the Shipping charges are gone. The buyer might have to pay if this was a Remorse return, but it does not sound as if it is, so the cost is on you to get it back. 

For something as expensive and fragile as that mandolin, I would suggest listing it with No Shipping/Local Pickup Only. That way you don't have to worry about Shipping costs or damage incurred along the way.

Message 2 of 7
latest reply

YEs, that's really ridiculous that they can do that, no risk to them? And honestly they will give any reason that gets their money back.
Thanks for responding
Message 3 of 7
latest reply

@col.steff wrote:

Any help would be appreciated, Thanks

In my description I stated No returns, please ask questions, request more pictures, etc. Sold as is.

There is no such thing on eBay as "As is, All Sales Final, No returns".   All sales are subject to the Money Back Guarantee, which means that an item is eligible for a return and full refund if the item is not described properly in the buyer's opinion.  

My question is this: Why do I have to pay shipping? I have to refund $47.77 for the first shipping, then issue a return label for $35 from ebay

For a Money Back Guarantee claim, the buyer gets free return shipping and a full refund (price plus shipping costs).  That's just how it works.

How can I get back all these shipping charges?

You cannot get back the shipping charges that you paid to originally ship the item to the customer.   However, if you believe the claim made by the original buyer is false (that is, the buyer is lying in order to activate the Money Back Guarantee and get a free return), then eBay has been known to give a "courtesy" refund of the return shipping costs to the seller ... it doesn't always happen, and there typically has to be evidence that the buyer is not being honest.

Whether or not you get a reimbursement, please make sure you report the buyer as abusing the Money Back Guarantee IF they are indeed abusing it.

Even if the instrument is returned fin, I have to relist it and worry about this happening again? I can't afford to pay &85 for someone to check out my item. This can't be right?

Really, there are only two strategies that you can employ to reduce the shipping costs on eBay, limiting your risk to the potential of a 2-way shipping cost loss.

1. You can list as pick-up only.  Honestly, for a stringed instrument, I can't imagine anyone buying it over the internet ... there is so much variation with the sound of a stringed instrument, that one really needs to play it in order to determine if the sound is good.  An instrument can look fine, but play horribly due to warping and age.
  2. You can take advantage of a Domestic Shipping Table, providing reasonable shipping costs to (say) zones 1-4, but exorbitant shipping to zones 5-9 ... in this way, you narrow your customer base to nearby and lower-cost shipping.

Message 4 of 7
latest reply

Thanks I appreciate your response.
Message 5 of 7
latest reply

as far as i know, it not a matter you offer no returns or returns  buyer can still return the product with given reasons
1 : item is damaged or defective
2 : item is not as describe
3 : missing parts
4: wrong item
with remorse reasons buyer cannot return the item example i changed my mind, i didn't like the item etc etc

****buyer will select any reason from above to return the item to cheat on you, and what you can maximum is to report the buyer if you discover that buyer claim is false after you inspect the returned item.
****** bottom line you will not get any shipping cost what you paid for, seller protection is there if buyer is abusive or buyer send you message before returning the item  that he changed his mind or he do not like the item so therefore he want to return it, but if he opens the return and select different reason  same like from above 4 reasons , if that case happen then that is right time to reach customer service and in that case cs will deduct shipping cost from buyer account and rest of will refund to buyer in order to close the case, and you can be protected also from negative feedback but might you need to reach appeal department.

but if you are concierge member you will have some more benefits as seller.

Message 6 of 7
latest reply

I agree with @a_c_green and @orangehound suggestions. If you decide to continue shipping, here is a piece of advice from a long time member on this forum who recently coached me: Change your return policy to 30 days with buyer paying return shipping. Then the buyer is responsible for the return shipping on a Buyer's Remorse Return.  Plus if the seller so chooses they can withhold the original shipping if it was separately stated on the listing [not free shipping] when it is time to refund the buyer.

Message 7 of 7
latest reply