cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Are boxes provided at USPS?

If a buyer pays for priority mail will boxes be provided at USPS or do I have to buy my own box there?

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

USPS does have boxes for priority but they may not the size box you need when you need it
It is best to have boxes ahead of time.
Message 2 of 7
latest reply

You can get free flat rate boxes at USPS or free Priority boxes can be ordered online. Several sizes are available for priority mail.

I remember when if you asked Alexa to change the channel, she had to go to the TV and turn the knob. ~ iowa_east_coast
Message 3 of 7
latest reply

thank you sir

@iowa_east_coast wrote:

You can get free flat rate boxes at USPS or free Priority boxes can be ordered online. Several sizes are available for priority mail.

Message 4 of 7
latest reply

While the post office will carry the Priority Flat Rate boxes, they may not carry other sizes of free Priority boxes.  Some do, but most don't.

They do sell plain brown boxes, but they are costly.  You can use any recycled box as long as all prior shipping information is removed/covered.   Liquor boxes aren't acceptable unless all the reference to liquor is covered up.  Free is good, but if you have to buy, several places sell boxes cheaper - Walmart, Staples, etc.

Message 5 of 7
latest reply

@lintbrush* wrote:

While the post office will carry the Priority Flat Rate boxes, they may not carry other sizes of free Priority boxes.  Some do, but most don't....

And you can't even count on them having the flat-rate boxes on hand.  IMHO your item should be all packed and ready to ship when you walk through the door of the PO. You should never plan on getting the box at the same time when you're mailing the item.  For one thing, if you don't know the dimensions and weight of your package, you won't know how much to charge your buyer for shipping.

Here's the usps.com web page where you can order the free Priority Mail boxes:

https://store.usps.com/store/results/priority-mail/shipping-supplies/_/N-p52cprZ7d0v8v

Message 6 of 7
latest reply

@antman316 wrote:

If a buyer pays for priority mail will boxes be provided at USPS or do I have to buy my own box there?

You can buy a generic brown mailing box at the post office, but that's probably the most expensive place to buy one, plus you really need to have your Shipping solution worked out before you upload your listing, so that you know what to charge for Shipping (and for Calculated Shipping, you need to know your package dimensions and weight). 

A Flat Rate Priority Mail package must use an official USPS Flat Rate box. A normal Priority Mail package that's priced by dimensions/weight/destination can use any suitable box of your choosing.

Message 7 of 7
latest reply