cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New policy? What does this mean?

We’re reaching out to let you know that, starting May 15, your listings that display calculated shipping will default to showing eBay Labels discounted shipping rates. The new default rates will apply to all of your active and future listings that offer calculated shipping; listings with free or flat rate shipping won’t be affected.

We’re making this change to help your listings attract more buyers by offering a lower shipping cost. To get the discounted rate that will be displayed on your listing, make sure to purchase your shipping labels through eBay Labels.

---------------

I don't use 'calculated shipping', I do a fixed cost for my small light shipments.

This won't have any effect on me ... right?

So, for you sellers that DO use calculated shipping, they're taking the extra bump out of shipping which, I assume helps to cover the cost of shipping supplies, and your time.  That's gone too, now?

Message 1 of 52
latest reply
51 REPLIES 51

It will be starting in May, unless the seller opts out. 

Message 2 of 52
latest reply

@chariot_badges wrote:

We’re reaching out to let you know that, starting May 15, your listings that display calculated shipping will default to showing eBay Labels discounted shipping rates. The new default rates will apply to all of your active and future listings that offer calculated shipping; listings with free or flat rate shipping won’t be affected.

We’re making this change to help your listings attract more buyers by offering a lower shipping cost. To get the discounted rate that will be displayed on your listing, make sure to purchase your shipping labels through eBay Labels.

---------------

I don't use 'calculated shipping', I do a fixed cost for my small light shipments.

This won't have any effect on me ... right?

Right. The 'flat rate' they are talking about is the fixed cost you are talking about. That is not referring to Priority Mail Flat Rate postage.

@chariot_badges wrote:

So, for you sellers that DO use calculated shipping, they're taking the extra bump out of shipping which, I assume helps to cover the cost of shipping supplies, and your time.  That's gone too, now?

From what I read it looks like they are changing the default price shown from retail to on-line (discount) pricing. You can change the default setting back to displaying retail if you want.

Message 3 of 52
latest reply

Where are you seeing this?????

Message 4 of 52
latest reply

i opted out within 30 seconds of seeing this eBay solution to slow sales ..  when i do a calculated shipping cost i am low-balling the weight on my side (i.e.- an 8 to 12 ounce package listed under calculated shipping as 4 ounces - ships within a tiny % of true cost either way -for buyer or for seller)  This allows my items to show lower or competitive shipping costs for my calculated shipping listings. 

For eBay to push such a program on Sellers will only upset the sellers that did not read the communication, and they will inevitably come to the boards with lengthy complaints and tales of eBay glitches, IMO.  

Message 5 of 52
latest reply

Ah.........in a message and I note.........

Please note that this change will only apply to sellers receiving this email.

If anyone offers calculated shipping and DOESN'T get the message, I'd be curious to know.........is this a test or is it for everyone.

I also opted out........

Message 6 of 52
latest reply

I'll be opting out as well.

"If a product doesn't sell, raise the price" - Reese Palley
"If it sold FAST, it was priced too low" - also Reese Palley
Message 7 of 52
latest reply

epic fail on eBay's part

who comes up with these "less than positive" ideas?

What's next? Telling us how much we should sell our items for by making automatic price adjustments to our listing prices?

Message 8 of 52
latest reply

It's getting to be a ton of work just trying to opt out of these schemes. Or find where it is. I'll just come here and ask. 

Message 9 of 52
latest reply

Most likely - probably will try to follow Amazon's Fair Pricing policy.

Message 10 of 52
latest reply

They actually had this in the fall update they would be doing this.  I thought it was going to be randomly kind of like offers requiring payment suddenly happening to some..slow roll out.  At least a set date with a warning gives a change to turn it off. 

“Birth certificates show that you were born. Death certificates show that you died. Photographs show that you have lived.” -Unknown
Message 11 of 52
latest reply

It looks like you can't opt OUT until after they opt you IN.

This will also affect sellers who changed to calculated for lighter parcels when FCP brought in zoned shipping.

Message 12 of 52
latest reply

On your ebay messages.  They sent this in the morning to every ebay sellers.

Message 13 of 52
latest reply

@chariot_badges wrote:

We’re making this change to help your listings attract more buyers by offering a lower shipping cost. To get the discounted rate that will be displayed on your listing, make sure to purchase your shipping labels through eBay Lab

"So, for you sellers that DO use calculated shipping, they're taking the extra bump out of shipping which, I assume helps to cover the cost of shipping supplies, and your time.  That's gone too, now?"

I use it to help cover the 13% in fees that eBay takes from the shipping cost. Now I'm going to lose that 13% that they gouge from us? I don't think so...

Message 14 of 52
latest reply

It means that they want you to charge the buyers the exact cost of the label.  The fee that they slap on top of that - that will be for you to cover.

Message 15 of 52
latest reply