cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New International Shipping Program Returns--Money Back Guarantee Claims

New program sounds great, as ebay would like us to believe.  However, I'm not so sure.

One question:  If buyer claims "item not as described" (buyer's remorse claim) as they often do to avoid paying return shipping, what happens?  Does seller still keep the sale?  Does ebay refund the buyer NO MATTER WHAT REASON the buyer uses?

What happens to the returned item?   Does it get returned to seller, or back to hub so ebay can  "liquidate" (re-sell) it?

Convoluted policy at best.  This part about money back guarantee has not been explained.  I've never shipped internationally and am not going to start doing it now.

Message 1 of 45
latest reply
44 REPLIES 44

Re: New International Shipping Program Returns--Money Back Guarantee Claims

Good for you. I personally do not want the hassle of any of it, profit or not. 

My question wasn't for trying to "get away" with anything.  I want to know the parameters under which I am selling.   Found the answer to my question buried in the shipping terms and conditions, in a random afterthought paragraph:

"You will not be responsible under the eBay Money Back for the loss of, or damage to, an EIS Item after its acceptance at the US Shipping Hub. However, if eBay finds in the Buyer’s favor in an eBay Money Back Guarantee case relating to an EIS Item, you may be responsible for the amount that has been paid to you by your Buyer."

Not all buyers are honest, so a word to the wise--be prepared.

Message 31 of 45
latest reply

I just read that if ebay determines that the item can not be sent international for whatever reason, they might return it to the seller or they might keep it.  The article did not state how they decide that.

Message 32 of 45
latest reply

@desdemona1013 wrote:

Good for you. I personally do not want the hassle of any of it, profit or not. 

My question wasn't for trying to "get away" with anything.  I want to know the parameters under which I am selling.   Found the answer to my question buried in the shipping terms and conditions, in a random afterthought paragraph:

"You will not be responsible under the eBay Money Back for the loss of, or damage to, an EIS Item after its acceptance at the US Shipping Hub. However, if eBay finds in the Buyer’s favor in an eBay Money Back Guarantee case relating to an EIS Item, you may be responsible for the amount that has been paid to you by your Buyer."

Not all buyers are honest, so a word to the wise--be prepared.

Sounds like standard, standard, standard, thru your description, though I am certainly going to give it a whirl. 

See what eBay has on international with this program. Can move in and out at will. 

Not much is worse than slow sales. 

Message 33 of 45
latest reply

What's wrong with asking a question? Because the poster has doubts, and claims that, most likely because of that, he will not use the service, does not mean that his question is illegitimate. Perhaps, if you answer the question, he might decide and start selling internationally to spread ebay's name around the globe.

Message 34 of 45
latest reply

FOR ALL WHO COMMENTED ON THIS POST...FOUND THE ANSWER BURIED IN THE TERMS AND CONDITIONS.  Sellers beware of Item Not as Described cases--you WILL be held responsible for refunds and costs to return the item.

In the section entitled:

EBAY INTERNATIONAL SHIPPING TERMS AND CONDITIONS.

It is buried in Section 8.

Section 8 is entitled "Lost, Damaged or Undeliverable Items."

Underneath the last subsection (vi) in Section 8 there is a random paragraph that reads:

Message 35 of 45
latest reply

GOOD JOB finding the true answer!

I don't ship via ebay's program and I ship around 15+ orders/month internationally. Fortunately, my buyers are 99.99% honest. Just read this thread out of interest in this magic program. It is clear, that there is nothing in this program that guarantees, that ebay shall covers the items not as described.

Also, the current promotional period  incentives will be gradually slashed, as is the case with all ebay initiatives.

Message 36 of 45
latest reply

We have sold on ebay for 20+ years and previously sold internationally ourselves, not through an ebay program. We are currently only selling domestically but have been considering EIS.

My biggest issue is that the FAQs vaguely state that they will “handle all returns” and the terms and conditions clearly state that ebay has the right to reverse the payment or choose to liquidate and the seller has no input.

Secondly, INAD items are not clearly addressed at all in either the terms or the FAQs. Can the seller still review the claim, will ebay make the decision alone along with disposition? If ebay decides to reverse the payment and return it to me how much of the shipping am I liable for?

To test the potential impact, I modified a listing to include EIS, went to another account to present myself as a buyer from Taiwan. The listing return policy changed from 2 weeks buyer pays to 30 days buyer pays with a stated shipping cost of $38 for a 6oz package. I strongly prefer not to switch to no returns for US buyers but also don’t want to go to 30 day returns on international and have to wait to see whether ebay will liquidate or return it. If buyers US will file a false claim to avoid a $4 charge for a return, the risk can only increase at $38.

All of the unknowns are what are causing us to take a pause. The information below makes it very clear that ebay will decide on the disposition of returns, undeliverables and items that can’t be sent and the seller has no input or insight into the decision that will be made after an item is sold.

From the EIS Terms and Conditions with the potential reversal of payment sections underlined (full terms are here https://pages.ebay.com/internationalshippingprogram/seller/terms/ ) :

6) Transfer of Title.  Title to an EIS Item remains with you until such time that the EIS Item is successfully delivered to your Buyer or their consignee, at which time title to the EIS Item shall transfer to your Buyer or their consignee. At no time does eBay (or its affiliates) or the third party service providers, or other subcontractors under contract with eBay or its third party service providers’ subcontractors take title to an EIS Item. – <In other words, you own it till it arrives at the buyer’s location>

7)  Payment Reversals.  If eBay or eBay’s third party service providers determine, after your Buyer has purchased an EIS Item, that the EIS Item is ineligible for the Program or cannot be sent to your Buyer (for whatever reason), eBay and its affiliates shall have the right to cancel your sale of the EIS Item in lieu of proceeding with the processing and/or shipment of the EIS Item and, upon exercising this right, shall have the right to reverse the payment that your Buyer made to you for the EIS Item and will process the EIS Item as an undeliverable item and may elect to return the EIS Item to you as described below. If the item is undeliverable and cannot be shipped back to you for whatever reason, eBay reserves the right to liquidate or destroy the item. In those instances, the payment will not be reversed.

8B)  Undeliverable Items.  eBay shall have no liability and shall have, in their discretion and in any manner that they prefer, the right to dispose of or liquidate EIS Items that eBay or its third party service providers conclude are undeliverable, for whatever reason.

If eBay or its third party service providers concludes that an EIS Item is undeliverable and elects to dispose of it or sell it, title to the EIS Item shall transfer automatically from you to a third party that eBay may designate and you will keep your Buyer’s payment.

Alternatively, eBay or its third party service providers may elect to return to you at any US address that you have on file with eBay any EIS Item that eBay or its third party service providers concludes is undeliverable and require reversal of the payment that your Buyer made to you. If an item is returned to you, you may be responsible for a return shipping fee.

9)  International Returns. To the extent permitted by applicable law, eBay may choose not to display the returns policy field of your listings to Buyers. eBay may choose to manage any international returns on your behalf. For the avoidance of doubt, if a buyer chooses to return an item that eBay approved for international shipping, eBay may in its sole discretion, choose to intermediate the return to you if your returns policy indicates that you accept returns and will reverse the sale. Alternatively, eBay may choose to liquidate the item rather than returning the item to you and you will keep the proceeds from the sale consistent with Section 7 of these Terms and Conditions.

You acknowledge that eBay’s or its third party service providers’ election to dispose of or sell the EIS Item and to allow you to retain your Buyer’s payment for the EIS Item is sufficient consideration for the transfer of title to any third party that eBay may designate.

Message 37 of 45
latest reply

removed, sorry question answered

Message 38 of 45
latest reply

but to add, not sure were going to stay part of this,,,too many grey areas not being clearly explained by ebay. Plus there has to be added fees to the seller on this somewhere that they aren't clarifying??....... So if you opt out, what happens to all of your listings that currently are set up for EIS? 

Message 39 of 45
latest reply

I was opted in by ebay, and I opted back out.  I have never shipped internationally since I started in 2006.  Too much hassle for me.  I looked at my listings when I was opted in, and didn't see them being offered to any other countries, because I had an exclusion list from way back.  So I would say to opt out and make an exclusion list of all countries other than the US and you should be fine.

Message 40 of 45
latest reply

That does make sense, but we do ship internationally and want to to continue doing so, except for a certain exclusion list. I just cant figure out what would happen if we opt out of this and they are currently set up for EIS. would they just revert to usps first class?

Message 41 of 45
latest reply

I'm not sure it's an option to continue to ship internationally without using their program....I could be wrong....but if you were using their GSP (global shipping program) you'll be switched to EIS so the update said.

Message 42 of 45
latest reply

we never used the GSP, only had EIS implemented as an option and now seeing its automatically being offered....just thinking we may be better off to opt out, and just offer first class so were in control and not ebay,,,I just cant imagine though changing some nearly 2,000 listings each one manually to put in a different ship option for international customers. That's the problem with these changes, if you dont go along with the automatic, it can be nearly impossible to change everything yourself when you have a store of a lot of inventory etc. I guess that would be a question for ebay but fun isn't it?  🙄

Message 43 of 45
latest reply

I have 4 returns from Ebay international shipping that were damaged after leaving the shipping hub and buyer starts a item not as described case because they don't know I shipped the vinyl record in a cardboard box securely and when it was shipped out of the Ebay hub they were taken out of box and placed in a plastic bag naturally were damaged and returns started. Ebay took care of refund and closed the case but now it shows up in my service metrics as an item not as described, and they are taking an extra 5% of every record I sell out of my payments because of it. Have repeatedly messaged, emailed and still are on service metrics as defects and they still taking out the extra 5%. My advice to anyone considering Ebay international DO NOT USE

Message 44 of 45
latest reply

no they dont take responsibility they pay the buyer refund yea but then hold it on you service metrics and eventually get it back in extra fees on every sale you make in that category.

Message 45 of 45
latest reply