cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need advice! Buyer wants to return

I sold a pair of pre-owned leggings. I posted 4 pictures along with size and condition. The buyer wants to return them because they do not fit, but I did list the size? What should I do?

Message 1 of 14
latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

Re: Need advice! Buyer wants to return

If you have a no returns policy, you can decline the refund because the reason for the refund, 'fit issues', is what is known as a 'remorse return'.

Nothing tastes as good as being thin feels.
Message 2 of 14
latest reply

That depends entirely on if this buyer opens a return case and what they pick as their reason. If they pick not as described, then you will be on the hook for return shipping (if you want them back) and will have to refund the buyer.

If they are honest about their reason and pick buyer's remorse, you would not have to refund them.

To avoid this problem in the future, put actual measurements in your listings. https://www.ebay.com/gds/HOW-TO-MEASURE-CLOTHING-LIKE-THE-PROFESSIONALS-/10000000007484735/g.html

This won't stop all buyer's remorse claims but it should help you avoid most. Putting one size, runs small is setting yourself up for returns.

Message 3 of 14
latest reply

Given what they are, if they don't fit, the buyer tried them on. If it is not a lot of money, I personally would just issue a refund and call it a day. It happens so infrequently, I typically would not block the buyer unless it happened again - situations like this can take a one time buyer and make them a repeat customer.

If I felt the buyer was taking advantage of me on a low cost item, I would take them back, pay the return shipping, throw them away when I received them because they now have bad mojo, refund the buyer and then block the buyer.
Message 4 of 14
latest reply

@jessad2010 wrote:

I sold a pair of pre-owned leggings. I posted 4 pictures along with size and condition. The buyer wants to return them because they do not fit, but I did list the size? What should I do?

Listing the size doesn't automatically guarantee an item will fit. I am an average size male and I normally wear medium shirts. Does this mean that every medium shirt in a particular store will fit me? No.

Accept the return.

Message 5 of 14
latest reply

If the buyer files a claim and you refuse return/refund, ebay will give you a defect on your selling account, no matter your return policy, descripton, etc.  And you will pay return shipping, if return is forced for refund.

You don't say if buyer messaged you or opened a claim.  Either way, accept the return.  The item does not fit the buyer.  If the item is returned, youshould be able to get a refund of ebay FVFs.  Paypal keeps .30 original processing fee and will take .30 fee from you on the refund to make buyer whole.

Message 6 of 14
latest reply

For a $10 sale, I would refund and let buyer keep the leggings. 

Message 7 of 14
latest reply

@just*4*posting wrote:

For a $10 sale, I would refund and let buyer keep the leggings. 

Me too.     Some battles aren't worth fighting.

Message 8 of 14
latest reply

I had a return this month on earring jackets. Eventhough I measure them In pictures when selling, The buyer said she didn't know how big they were & wanted a refund. I think It was basically buyers remorse.

I have a no returns policy but I refunded her 200 dollars. She was nice about it, so I made an exception In her case. But don't really want to do that again without a good reason.

Message 9 of 14
latest reply

"For a $10 sale, I would refund and let buyer keep the leggings."

TOTALLY agree! Not worth the risk of negative feedback, etc. I document situations like this and then write off as Loss on my taxes.

Message 10 of 14
latest reply

OP mentions nothing about what their return policy is, if any.

OP does not mention if the "Buyer wants to return" is in the form of an informal request sent via messages, or if Buyer has opened an official Return Request, and if an official Request, was the reason stated "Did Not Fit" or "Not As Described"?

a.  If Not As Described=eBay will make you pay for the return, case closed.

b.  If Did Not Fit, or if this is an informal request thru messages=if you have a return policy, those terms apply tempered by current eBay rules; if your policy is No Returns, you can decline, but in the interest of customer service, you MAY want to consider accepting the items back as long as Buyer pays return shipping.

If b above, DO NOT just refund buyer and let them keep item, you are only encourage future Buyer shenanigans.

Message 11 of 14
latest reply

@jessad2010  Accept the return, they don't fit.  Size matters not, legs come in a million different shapes even though they could all techincally be for the same size piece of clothing.

Get them back, relist them and move on.

Regards,
Mr. Lincoln - Community Mentor
Message 12 of 14
latest reply

You best bet is to  advise your buyer to return for refund. 

Be advised not all size small, medium, large or etc or size 8, 10, etc are  the same physical size or of the same fit.   This will vary from manufucaturer or country of origin.  An on ocassions, product size lables are incorrect.  With that being said, it is alway a good practise to provide  actual key  dimnesions of  clothing or footwear products you are offering.

"I have the right to remain silent but I didn't have the ability." Ron White, Fritch, Texas
"Stay away from negative people, they have a problem for every solution." A. Einstein
The Devil made me do it! - Flip Wilson
If the band can only play loud - they ain't no good - peps too J.R. Johnson
Message 13 of 14
latest reply

Sizes vary.  Hopefully you listed measurements as that can eliminate this kind of situation.  And it could also improve your sales because many buyers just hit the back button if the measurements are not there.

The best defense and the best way to avoid this type of situation is to provide a highly accurate listing, pictures, description, with all the info the buyer needs to make an  informed buying decision.

Message 14 of 14
latest reply